Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Four-Game Win Streak on the Line at No. 22 Missouri State

On Wednesday, December 4th at 6:00 pm the Lady Shocks face the 2nd consecutive challenging opponent as the head to Missouri State to face a very good 7-1 Bears team.

SCOUTING THE LADY BEARS
    Missouri State is 7-1 and ranked No. 19 in the USA Today/WBCA Coaches Poll and No. 22 in the AP. The Lady Bears own wins over No. 23 Minnesota, Texas A&M CC, Boise State, Oklahoma, Santa Clara, South Dakota and UMKC. Their lone loss came to the hands of No. 7 Oregon State. Alexa Willard leads the Missouri State attack, averaging 19.4 points on 52.6 percent shooting, while also connecting on 57.6 percent of her attempts from long range. Willard ranks in the top 10 nationally in 3-point percentage (3rd) and FG made (5th). Brice Calip averages 13.6 points and has dished out 26 assists. Jasmine Franklin anchors the frontcourt with a team-best 9.1 rebounds per game, 14 steals and 10 blocks.

Somehow the Shockers edged MSU at home 63-60 in the 2nd game the regular season last year. MSU's shooting in that game was really bad and I think the Shockers lucked out a bit to catch them on such a bad shooting night. Last year the Lady Bears got off to a very slow start losing the first of 2 exhibition games to Central Missouri before losing their season opener to an extremely young Shocker team and they started the season off 1-7 However, from that point on the caught fire finishing the season winning 24 of 27 games going 16-2 in the Valley, winning the Valley post-season tournament and NCAA auto-bid and earing an 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament. In the NCAA they beat 6 seed DePaul 89-78, 3 seed Iowa State 69-60 to advance to the Sweet 16 where they lost a very competitive game to 2 seed Stanford 46-55.

Not sure what triggered the turnaround and big run for the Lady Bears but they seem to have carried over that confidence and high level of play to this season.

The Shockers are also facing another very good three-point shooting team for the 2nd straight game. The Lady Bears shoot 42.0% from three and average about 18.5 attempts per game. Like Oklahoma the are lead by one of the nation's best three point shooters in Sr. Alexa Willard who is 19-33 (57.65) on the year. However, Alexa does not put up as many attempts as Taylor Robertson does. However, Alexa is a match up nightmare. She is a long, athletic, skilled 6-2 guard that can go inside just as easily as outside. If the Shockers stick with their recent smaller starting lineup Alexa will be taller than any of the Shocks' starting five. In addition. MSU starts a 6-4 big body Jr, at center and a very athletic 6-1 So., Jasmine Franklin at forward. Brice Calip is a physically strong 5-8 Jr. guard. MSU does rely more on the starting 5 for minutes and production that the do the Shocks. HCKA may be forced to go bigger against more against MSU but her best big, Trajata Colbert, has been out under concussion protocol and has missed the last 4 games. So that pretty much leaves So. Asia Henderson and Fr. Ashlei Kirven as our options to go bigger if Trajata is not available.

I expect that with the way MSU finished last season and they way the have started this year they will have a big, boisterous crowd cheering them on. Furthermore, MSU has a significant advantage in experience.

MSU, like OU, is a pretty high scoring team averaging 77.6 points per game. It remains to be seen if the Shocks will be able to duplicate their high scoring effort against OU which they will probably need to stay with MSU. So far that game is the outlier among the 6 they have played. If the Shocks play mostly a man-to-man defense I imagine the primary job of trying to slow down Willard will fall to Carla and Maya who both give up 3 inches in height to the 6-2 Willard.

One tongue in cheek comment. Hopefully, the Shockers' team chemistry is still intact. Last night on the HCKA's radio show Steve Strain interviewed Seraphine Bastin who is best buds with Carla Bremaud. Seraphine from french speaking part of Belgium and Carla from France. Strain asked Seraphine what the most annoying think Carla does. Seraphine, in her french accent, siad that she farts and it really stinks.

Strain had no idea where to go with that. Seraphine made a nice recovering when asked what Carla's best traits were. Hopefully, Carla and Seraphine are still talking.

Maybe Carla can use that annoyance to her advantage when guarding Willard.

The Mrs. and I listened to the show and that was simply hilarious... we were still talking about it this morning. As coach Adams said, "Seraphine is honest."
    I'm sorry, but that was a bad question for Steve to ask... what did he expect?
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The Mrs. and I listened to the show and that was simply hilarious... we were still talking about it this morning. As coach Adams said, "Seraphine is honest."
      I'm sorry, but that was a bad question for Steve to ask... what did he expect?
      Perhaps, Steve needs to pre-screen those questions and answers. But it was funny as hell. I'm sure Carla will forgive her best buddy.

Comment

Perhaps, Steve needs to pre-screen those questions and answers. But it was funny as hell. I'm sure Carla will forgive her best buddy.
        I'm sure she will and bet the team got a good laugh out of it also... comments like that have a way of 'lightening the mood' and laughter is good for the soul.. I should know. Seraphine's accent made it even better.

I wonder if coach Marshall stayed around for the women's show (if so, he can share the funny story with the guys)? I enjoyed his comments about halting practice and having the guys watch the last final 4 minutes of the women's OU game; it was great hearing him give public support for the women's team. Sounds like he's a fan of coach Adams and sees a bright future for her program.
        Last edited by WstateU; December 3, 2019, 04:41 PM.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

McCarty, Smith Snag Weekly Honors

Wichita State freshman guard DJ McCarty was named the American Athletic Conference Freshman of the Week ...

McCarty, a DeSoto, Texas native, averaged 12.5 points, 2.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists on 47.4 percent shooting in Wichita State's two wins last week that included a home win over Oklahoma on Saturday. She opened the week with a team-high 12 points, while adding three rebounds, three assists and two steals against Houston Baptist and finished with a 13-point, 3-assists outing against the Sooners. McCarty leads the team in scoring at 11.3 points per game and has scored 10 or more points in three straight games and four this season (leads team).
          DJ is the first HCKA recruit that I think may have a shot at making AAC All-Conference before she leaves. Not necessarily First Team, but ...

Especially since the Huskies are leaving the conference. There are about four new openings right there.

Comment

On Wednesday, December 4th at 6:00 pm the Lady Shocks face the 2nd consecutive challenging opponent as the head to Missouri State to face a very good 7-1 Bears team.
            The Bears are currently #2 in RPI (yes, it's early) and this with a new head coach as Kellie Harper has moved on to her alma mater, Tennessee. If the Shockers can stay within 20 or so, they will have done well.

Comment

Shocks not off to a very good start. But only trail 9-6 midway through the 1st quarter. Defense has been okay with a couple of exceptions. One thing the Shockers are horrible at is defending inbound plays from under the basket. Shocks not working their offense very well. Seem to be rushed. Need much more patience and need to share the ball better.

Not a great whistle so far but it is women's basketball so that is pretty normal.

14-all at the end of the 1st quarter. Neither team playing that well. The Shocks look pretty clueless on the offensive end. Pretty sloppy game so far. The Shocks have 8 turnovers and MSU has 7 turnovers. At that rate it will be a 60 turnover game. Carla has done a good job defending Alexa Willard so far.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 4, 2019, 06:23 PM.

Comment

14-14 at the end of Q1. I will be happy to be wrong.

Comment

Shocks turn a 25-20 lead into a 25-29 deficit at the half. Asia started out okay but has now missed about 4 bunnies in a row. As feared the Shocks 3-point shooting against OU was probably an outlier. They are 0-6 from three in this game but are doing a pretty good job of getting the ball inside but only made 5-19 shots in the 2nd quarter. The Shocks are also only 1-4 from the free throw line. Both teams did cut down on the turnovers.

The Shocks just look totally clueless on offense though and if they don't get that figured out I would expect MSU probably will start pulling away in the 2nd half. I just don't see this team beating very many decent teams with a one-on-one offense. Carla still doing a great job on Alex Willard holding her to 2 points. The best players on the floor is MSU freshman Jasmine Franklin.

MSU leads 45-40 after 3 quarters. The Shocks continue to play solo, playground basketball. Seems like most of their possessions in the 3rd quarter were zero passes. Not quite sure how the Shocks are still in this game. Credit to the Shocks defense I guess.

The Shocks have scored 34 of their 40 points in the paint. The other 6 are free throws.

MSU now leading 60-42 midway through the 4th quarter. Not that MSU is playing that good. The Shockers have just been worse than horrible.

MSU closes it out with a 68-55 win. MSU was clearly the better team. In fact, MSU was the only team on the floor. Not sure what you call what the Shocker display was.

This one mostly on the coaching staff IMHO. Just very disappointed in the Shockers' performance tonight. The Shocks were 0-10 from 3 and only 9-16 from the line. The Shocks had a measly 6 assists on 23 baskets and turned the ball over 15 times which is actually pretty good for them. MSU turned it over 20 times. MSU also blocked 8 shots vs 1 blocked shof for the Shockers. After holding Willard to 2 points in the 1st half she scored 12 in the second half.

We really need to get Trajata back on the floor. Ashlei Kirven looks like a player but other than rebounding she pretty much has no basketball skills. Although that won't make that much difference if the Shocks continue to go total playground.

HCKA skips out on a post-game interview and I don't blame her. I would be embarrassed as well if I were her. Whatever feel good the Shocks had after the OU win is long gone after their performance tonight. Fortunately for the Shocks they only have 2 more decent teams plus 4 cupcakes on the non-con schedule so they probably finish up at 8-5 or 7-6 in he non-con and maybe they can figure out that basketball is best played as a team game.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 4, 2019, 08:21 PM.

Comment

I wondered if my initial impressions of the Shocker offense against MSU was being fair to the Lady Shocks. So I watched a replay of the 2nd half and tracked the Shocker possessions and the number of passes (excluding inbounds passes) the Shockers made. This is what I came up with:

3rd Quarter: 19 total passes in 20 possessions = 0.95 passes per possession. 2 possessions with 3 passes + 3 possessions with 2 passes + 7 possessions with 1 pass + 8 possessions with 0 passes.

4th Quarter: 18 total passes in 22 possessions = 0.82 passes per possession. 2 possessions with 3 passes + 3 possessions with 2 passes + 6 possessions with 1 pass + 11 possessions with 0 passes.

2nd Half Distribution of Possessions By Number of Passes:

3 pass possessions: 4/42 = 9.5%
                    2 pass possessions: 6/42 = 14.3%
                    1 pass possessions: 13/42 = 31.0%
                    0 pass possessions: 19/42 = 45.2%

So 3/4's of their 2nd have possessions were 0 or 1 passes.

Obviously HCKA is not fan of Coach Norman Dale

Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 5, 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's some awful basketball, even for playground standards.

Comment

My thoughts on last night's game...this loss was on HCKA. She allowed selfish basketball and it played them right out of a win. As 1972Shocker points out 3/4 of their possessions in the second half were 0-1 passes. I don't know too many teams that will win with that stat.

This is going to be a long season if this is how they are allowed to play.

Comment

Originally posted by New2Wu View Post
                          My thoughts on last night's game...this loss was on HCKA. She allowed selfish basketball and it played them right out of a win. As 1972Shocker points out 3/4 of their possessions in the second half were 0-1 passes. I don't know too many teams that will win with that stat.

This is going to be a long season if this is how they are allowed to play.
                          I agree the coach can take that L. I said before the game even started they werent gonna win........ they should have won but there are those that do not play team ball. When you constantly focus and talk about certain players that makes others SELFISH because they want to stand out OR because a person is your friend thats who you pass the ball to and DONT even look for the open WOman.

I still have not gotten into this SLOW pace of a game.... coming up the court walking the ball, and when they are down in a game and could possibly make a run for it, they dont because they dont do clock management. Sorry I am just not used to this. Reminds me of middle school ball or a mediocre high school team.

They dont have chemistry ....... I wish they would get it together

yes a long hard season to watch

Comment

I've been out-of-pocket since about 11:00 am this morning. I do see the the Shocks beat Eastern Michigan as anticipated and I read that Carla missed teh game due to an ankle injury. I need to watch the replay I guess to get a sense of how well they played.

Watched the replay. Kind of a yawner. Shocks were shorthanded today with Trajata still out under concussion protocol and Jaida also missing the game I guess due to injury in addition to Carla sitting out with an ankle injury.

I give most of the credit for the Shocker win to Eastern Michigan. EMU shot 33.9% from the field and probably missed a half dozen wide open layups. In addition, they were only 6-18 from the free throw line. Both teams turned the ball over 18 times. They will have to play much better to have a chance at Creighton next Saturday.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 7, 2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Temple gave 6th ranked South Carolina a battle today in Philadelphia losing 71-78.

Oklahoma beat #25 LSU decisively in Norman 90-68.

This past Thursday Drake beat Waldorf College 103-18. Not ecxactly sure what the purpose of the game was.

Comment

Nice Paul Suellentrop article on Mariah McCully following her Shocker season (and early career high) 25 point outing against Eastern Michigan.

Now we know why Mariah sat out last year. She was rehabbing a hip injury. Mariah is proving to be a very good addition to the Shocker roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X