Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker WBB 2019-20 Non-Conference Games

Shockers Open Season vs. UNI

The Lady Shocks will open their regular season against former Missouri Valley foe Northern Iowa on Saturday in Charles Koch Arena at 5 p.m. The game will follow the Wichita State men's basketball game vs. Texas Southern at 2 p.m. Fans that bring their men's basketball ticket from the Texas Southern game will receive FREE Admission.

SCOUTING THE PANTHERS
    Northern Iowa is coming off a 20-13 record in 2018-19 and an appearance in the first round of the WNIT. The Panthers return 10 letterwinners and two starters from that squad. They finished third in the MVC with a 12-6 mark and are picked to finish 3rd this year behind Drake and Missouri State. Junior guard Karli Rucker paced UNI with 15.0 points per game last year and will spearhead the backcourt, while Megan Maahs and Abby Gerrits anchor the frontcourt. Maahs appeared in only eight games last season after missing the rest due to injury. UNI is 1-0 to begin the season after defeating North Dakota State, 95-63, Wednesday.

Northern Iowa did not shoot the ball very well in their 67-40 exhibition win over D-II Upper Iowa. However, they had it going in their regular season opener in putting up 95 points against North Dakota State. The Panthers shot 49.2% from the field including 10-17 (58.8%) on 3 pointers plus 27-32 (84.4%) from the free throw line. UNI had 16 assists and only committed 11 turnovers which is very good. UNI was lead by Karli Rucker with 22 points and had 4 other players in double figures and one who scored 8 points. Rucker was 6-7 from the field including 3-4 on treys, 7-8 from the line and had 6 assists vs 2 turnovers and added 2 steals.

Looks to be a very good challenge for the Lady Shocks to open the season. I don't think the Shocks want to get into a free throw shooting contest with UNI. I think the Shocks did show some progress in the month from the Black and Yellow Scrimmage to the exhibition game against Missouri Southern. They will need to avoid a bad stretch like the had in the 2nd quarter against Missouri Southern. I think they will also need to cut down on their turnovers and make their free throws to be successful against UNI.

Shockers drop their season opener 61-50 to UNI in a game I personally found rather painful to watch. The Shocks were pretty good defensively. I would give the a B+. Definitely an A on defense for the first 25 minutes of the game. However, they did get out rebounded 44-31. The Shocks missing 42 shots probably contributed to that. The Shocks did force UNI into 27 turnovers. The offense on the other hand was a Grinch. Stink, Stank Stunk.

A lack of skill and BBIQ is probably a factor but I thought the main factor was a very poor offensive scheme with very little ball movement, player movement or team play. A lot of one-on-one, forced shots and missed layups resulting in 30% FG shooting including 1-12 (8.3%) from 3 and 13-24 (54.2% ) from the free throw line (and that included Carly and DJ shooting 8-8 with the rest of the team a sterling 5-16). As I mentioned the Shocks did not want to get into a free throw shooting contest with UNI. UNI hit 18-20 from the free throw line. The Shocks had 6 assists and 17 turnovers.

I really don't know what HCKA is thinking with this offensive scheme. I'm not sure she has the personnel to make this work, Personally, I would much prefer a good motion offense with good ball and player movement and team oriented play would yield better results. But maybe we don't have the personnel and BBIQ to make that work either.

Individually, perhaps Trajata Colbert deserves an atta girl. She was 6-11 from the field (although 0-3 from the FT line) for a team leading 12 points plus 5 rebounds in 25 minutes.

Not an encouraging showing by the Lady Shocks.

Comment

The thing that drove me nuts was the insistence by perimeter players to penetrate and take some wild scoop shot rather than pulling up and taking a 10'-12' jumper. Of course, we did try that a few times and typically hit the front rim.

Comment

We all know the definition of insanity. The Shockers offense was insane today.

Comment

Shockers Visit ORU for Veteran's Day Matchup

SCOUTING THE GOLDEN EAGLES

Oral Roberts is 2-0 in the early stages of its non-conference slate. The Golden Eagles defeated Central Christian, 114-60, in their season opener and Texas State, 63-57, Friday night. Keni Jo Lippe spearheads the ORU offense. The junior guard scored 27 points in the opener and followed that with a double-double vs. Texas State (10 points, 10 rebounds). Rylie Torrey scored a game-high 21 points vs. the Bobcats and Karly Gore tallied her second double-double of the season (12 points, 12 rebounds). Through two games Lippe (18.5 ppg) and Torrey (18.0) are neck-and-neck in the scoring column. The Golden Eagles are shooting above 40 percent from the field and beyond the arc to go with 20.0 assists a game. Their opponents have shot just 31.3 percent from the field and 22.7 percent from 3.

ORU is picked to finish 4th in the 9-team Summit League.

I don't think you can read too much into the 114-60 win over NAIA Central Christian College (McPherson). ORU also beat NAIA Friends University 82-28 in their exhibition game which doesn't mean much either.

In the Texas State game ORU played 9 players one of whom only played 5 minutes. So the went about 8 deep. ORU's starting lineup consisted of 3 seniors (1 a 5th year senior), a junior and a freshman. The 3 reserves that played about half the game consist of a senior, junior and a freshman. ORU's roster consists entirely of players recruited out of high school. So the edge in experienced definitely favors ORU.

ORU starting center is 6-4 senior Montserrat Brotons who played 26 minutes against Texas State. 6-2 junior Regan Schumacher played 5 minutes presumably in relief of Brotons. Of the other 7 players that saw significant minutes all are under 6 foot tall. Tylie Torrey who had 21 points against Texas State is 5-11. The other 6 who played are 5-7 to 5-9.

ORU shot 35.7% (20-56%) from the field including 9-25 (36.0%) from behind the arc. So just under half their FG attempts and makes were 3-pointers. ORU was 14-15 from the free throw line. So like UNI the Shocks probably don't want this game to come down to a free throw shooting contest. ORU out rebounded Texas State 47-33. However, one of the more eye catching stats from the Texas State game was ORU had 26 turnovers.

It's only 1 game but considering the Shocker strength is their defense it will be interesting to see if the can force ORU into a high level of turnovers. If the Shocks can do that and score in transition that would be very helpful as their half court offense looked pretty poor against UNI.

We'll see how it goes. Hopefully, the Shocks can find enough scoring tonight to get the job done.

Comment

It looks like the ORU game is available on the ORU Sports Network. What I can't tell is if this is free service or if it is a premium service.

Comment

I believe Lippe from Adair, Oklahoma is the stepdaughter of boxer Tommy Morrison. Edit: Morrison’s son and her are half brother/sister.

Comment

Pretty good 1st quarter for the Shocks offensively at they put up 18 points. However, ORU managed 20 points to lead by 2.

Shocks got a big boost and spark by freshman DJ McCarty off the bench with 7 points.

Shocks getting some transition points and also moving and sharing the ball much better on offense.

The 2nd quarter is not so kind to the Shocks as ORU outscores the Shocks 17-7 to take a 37-25 lead into the locker room at the half.

Pretty much a matter of ORU shooting the ball better than the Shocks. Shocks were only 3-15 in the 2nd quarter.

ORU leads 59-45 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Trajata Colbert fouled out in the quarter.

ORU is 11-11 from the free throw line. The Shock will be in trouble if they have to start fouling late.

A pretty good 4th quarter for the Shocks as the cut the lead to 9 points at one point but ORU pulled away to a 79-64 win.

Shocks were better offensively in this game than they were against UNI although the poor 2nd quarter really hurt them. Defensivley, they were not as good as they were against UNI.

Freshman DJ McCarty led the Shocks with 17 points, Carly added 15 and Jaida came off the bench to score 11 points and had a strong 4th quarter. Freshman Alshlei Kirven looked pretty good in her only time in the 4th quarter but she really needs to work on her free throw shooting,.

I think DJ, Jaida and Ashlei may all have eanred some additional playing time after tonight.

ORU was 16-17 from the free throw line. The Shocks were 1-5. That takes care of the 15 point scoring margin. The Shocks only turned the ball over 11 times wihich is very acceptable. But the Shocks only had 8 assists on 29 baskets while ORU had 18 assists on 25 baskets.

So a few positive signs in the loss but stll a lot of work to do.

HCKA wants her team to get in the gym and work on their shooting. ORU was playing way off of them daring them to beat them from the perimeter. HCKA says it is not good enough to play hard and lose. HCKA says she is not okay with this. She say she has good kids but they have to bet better. She agreed that DJ gave the team a boost. Jaida has not been feeling well and HCKA has felt like she could play her very much. Ashlei came in and gave them some good energy. ORU gave the Shocks a lesson in penetrating, kicking out to the open player and knocking down treys. ORU was just better shooters. HCKA said if she was guarding you and was playing 5 feet off of you than you know they don't respect your ability to shoot the ball.

Hoping that Mariah gets cleared this week and Vendela is a pure shooter so hopefully that will help them.

Kudos for HCKA for not accepting this and not being very happy about where her tieam is at this point.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 11, 2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  ... the Shocks only had 8 assists on 28 baskets while ORU had 18 assists on 25 baskets.
                  I could not follow the game, but when I looked at the box score after the game, this was the stat that really jumped out at me. Well, that and the big free throw differential.

Comment

After thinking about it some I find it a bit ironic that HCKA was focusing her rant on the Shockers shooting after the ORU game. No they aren't a great shooting team but they actually shot the ball reasonably well for them against ORU.

The Shocks were 29-68 (42.7%) vs 25-60 (41.7%) for ORU. ORU negated that advantage buy hitting 13-30 (43.3%) from behind the arc vs 7-21 (33.3%) for the Shockers. The free throw differential was big with ORU hitting 16-17 (94.1%) and the Shockers were only 1-5 (20.0%). On the surface it sounds like ORU may have gotten a very favorable whistle but I did not notice anything egregious there. In fact the differential in number of fouls was nearly as big as the differential in foul shots. The Shocks had 16 fouls to 12 for ORU. It's just that the Shocker fouls were much more often committed in a situation that resulted in free throws. The only Shockers to shoot free throws was Trajata (1) and Ashlei (4) who are admittedly not good free throw shooters. Neither of ORU's 2 bigs shot a free throw. All 17 of ORU's free throw attempts were by their shooters.

Carla and, surprisingly, DJ were a very good 6-10 from 3 point range. The rest of the Shocks were 1-11. The Shocks simply do not have the depth of shooters that ORU has. Hopefully, if and when Mariah and Vendela are able to play they will help that. But who knows for sure. In the UNI game the Panthers were not going to let Carla beat them. They were blanketing her. She had a little more freedom against ORU. As HCKA pointed out ORU played pretty soft on defense. If you only have 1 or 2 shooters it makes it much easier to shut them down.

I was a bit surprised that the Shockers allowed 79 points to ORU after seeing them against UNI. If the Shockers had not had such a poor 2nd quarter they would have been right there in this game. I'm thinking the defense may have been more of an issue against ORU than the offense. However, I give some credit for that to ORU who ran a very good team oriented offense with good ball and player movement with excellent floor spacing. Their 18 assists on 25 baskets are indicative of that. OTOH, the Shockers 8 assists on 29 basket shows that their offense struggles to create shots and they rely more on individual play which generally does not result in as high a quality of shot. I think ORU's experience advantage was a significant factor in this game.

Just some very amateur observations.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 12, 2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Shockers Host Southern

SCOUTING THE JAGUARS
                      Southern is 2-1 to open the season after wins against Wiley (78-55) and Tougaloo (100-39) and a loss to Iowa State (36-69). The Jaguars are led by Brittany Rose's 16.0 points and 3.3 assists per game. Genovea Johnson posts 10.0 points and 3.0 steals a game on 50 percent shooting. Johnson's nine steals through three games rank 28th nationally. As a team, Southern is scoring 71.3 points and holding its opponents to only 54.3. The Jaguars rank nationally in the top 10 in steals (3rd), turnover margin (9th), turnovers forced (9th) and three-point defense (10th).

I don't think Southern's stats as show above mean anything since they include the games against NAIA schools Wiley College and Tougaloo College. Southern did not fare well at all against Iowa State in their last game. Southern is picked to win the 10-team SWAC this year but the SWAC is generally ranked at or near the bottom of all D-1 conferences and so far this year the SWAC is 3-20 in D-1 games. Most of which are probably on the road as buy games for their opponents.

The Shockers should pick up their 1st win of the season and it will be disappointing if the Shocks don't win by 20+.

The Shocks do get Mariah McCulley available for this game as they have gotten her eligibility issues cleared up. Vendela is still out but they think she is getting closer to clearing concussion protocol. The Shocks will be without starting point guard Seraphine Bastin today who is under concussion protocol.

Sounds like Mariah will play today but not sure what to expect from a player who has not been in a competitive for the last 1.5 years.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2019, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Shockers trail Southern 16-12 at the end of the 1st quarter. The Shocker offense is really hard to watch so far. Mostly one-on-one play. Pretty stagnant otherwise with poor spacing and timing.

Shocks close out the last 3:45 of the 2nd quarter with a 16-2 run to take a 38-29 halftime lead. The run was started with a corner 3 pointer by Mariah McCully and then the Shocks turned up the defense and turned over Southern quite a bit. Got some transition baskets and shot a lot of free throws and hit them. The Shocks are 12-12 from the line including 3-3 from the normally iffy Raven Prince. Furthermore, Raven closed out the half hitting a buzzer beating 3 pointer. That was Raven's 1st 3 point attempt in her 1 year + 3 game Shocker career.

Mariah McCully definitely looks like she will help the Shocks although she still has quite a bit of juco ball in her that meed to be eliminated.

In addition to Seraphine being out this game it looks like Trajata is also not available. Hopefully, the Shocks finish to the 1st half will carry over to the 2nd half. In the 2nd quarter the Shocks were 8-10 from the field including 2-2 on treys and 8-8 from the free thow line.

Southern rallies in the 3rd quarter to turn the 9 point half time deficit into a 55-53 lead heading into the final quarter. More or less a flip flop of the 2nd quarter. Anyone's game at this point.

The Shocks take advantage of 2-9 free throw shooting by Southern in the 4th quarter and get their 1st win of the season 69-63. Not what I was hoping for but a win is win. The Shocks had an unusually good day at the free throw line hitting 18-20 (90%).

Mariah McCully, in her Shocker debut, lead the Shocks in scoring with 12 points. Raven and Asia each had 10 points. Other teams seem to be really focusing on Carla but the Shocks offense is not very good at all at creating shots for her.

Shocks forced 26 turnovers but also committed 22 themselves which continues to be a problem.

HCKA says they have to get a lot more organized and disciplined and need to play smarter.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 17, 2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

RH: Shockers Hold Off Jaguars

Comment

The Lady Shocks have put up 53 points in the 1st half agains LA Tech and lead 53-31 at the half.

I didn't get to listen to or see the 1st half but 9 Shockers have scored for the Shocks led by DJ with 13 on 6-9 shooting and Shyia with 12 on 4-5 shooting including 1-1 from behind the arc and 3-3 from the free throw line. The Shocks have hit 8-10 from the free throw line.

Shocks expanded their lead to 33 points at 67-34 with 4:27 remaining in the 3rd quarter. After that it was pretty much all LA Tech who pulled to within 84-77 with 30 seconds to play. Seraphine hit 6-8 free throws to hold off the Lady Techsters and the Shocks hold on for an 88-80 road win.

Seemed like the Shocks went into a passive play-not-to-lose mode after building the lead to 33. Committed 26 turnovers in the game.

Not sure what to take away form this game.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 20, 2019, 08:43 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks look to make it 3 win in a row with a home contest against Houston Baptist on Monday at 6:30 pm.

SCOUTING THE HUSKIES
                              Houston Baptist is 3-2 to open the season after wins against LSU-Shreveport (67-44), Paul Quinn (63-34) and Oral Roberts and losses to No. 2 Baylor (112-42) and Houston (82-60). The Huskies have just one player averaging 10 or more points on the season, Timia Johnson at 13.0 per game. Johnson, however, has played in only two games for the Huskies. Megan Valdez-Crader comes in next at 7.4 points. Kennedy Wilson leads HBU in assists (10) and steals (13). Houston Baptist ranks 47th nationally in steals per game.

On paper at least this was one of the non-con game I had circled as a Shocker win. While Houston Baptist is 3-2 two of those wins are against non-D1 competition. However, they did win at-- ORU on Saturday 74-73. The Shocks lost to 66-79 at ORU a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps we will see how the Shocks may stack up to fellow AAC member Houston who knocked off HBU 82-60 at home.

Good to see Seraphine get off the snide with her best offensive game of the season at LaTech. However, the Shockers had 26 turnovers in that game and Seraphine had 8 of those. Way to many for the team and way to many for our point guard.

Shyia had her best game of the year against LaTech with 16 points and 8 rebounds and freshman DJ McCarty had another good game with 18 points on 7-11 shooting. DJ has had a really nice start to her Shocker career.

So far the Shocks seem to be able to score well in transition but if they get into a half court game they tend to bog done. The Shockers 3-point shooting continues to be a weakness as the Shocks are at 27% for the season. The half-court offense does not appear to be designed to create good looks from the perimeter.

With Trajata out with a concussion Raven started at the 5 against LaTech and HCKA went mostly with a smaller lineup only playing Asia for 9 minutes while Ashlei and Diamond did not play at all against LaTech.

I'm thinking the Shocks will win this one but the HBU win at ORU makes it anything but a sure thing.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 24, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X