Michelle Price - Out for the Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle Price - Out for the Season

Michelle Price is out for the year with a respiratory illness. She will be applying for a medical redshirt, which I doubt she will have any problems receiving.
    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully Michelle can make a complete recovery with no after effects. She has been a player with a high-octane motor and a real battler. That answers why she did not play at Shocker Madness.

Now we need Kelsey Jacobs and Nicole Wells to step up and play well. From what I saw at Shocker Madness I think they are capable of doing just that.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;271379]Sorry to hear that. Hopefully Michelle can make a complete recovery with no after effects. She has been a player with a high-octane motor and a real battler. That answers why she did not play at Shocker Madness.

Now we need Kelsey Jacobs and Nicole Wells to step up and play well. From what I saw at Shocker Madness I think they are capable of doing just that.

The game November 9 should give us a glimmer of what the Shox will really look like. I'm sure they get tired of playing against each other as they know each other's every move. Any opponent will be a good barometer. Michelle has a positive spirit, she'll give us two more years of tough competitiveness.

Comment

While Michelle's absence will hurt us this season, assuming she gets her redshirt, it could be helpful long-term. We are log jammed with post players in the junior class and only have 1 current post player not in that class. Moving Michelle back a class will help with that balance and help us keep some experience when the junior class graduates in a couple of years.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

[QUOTE=The Mad Hatter;271456]While Michelle's absence will hurt us this season, assuming she gets her redshirt, it could be helpful long-term. We are log jammed with post players in the junior class and only have 1 current post player not in that class. Moving Michelle back a class will help with that balance and help us keep some experience when the junior class graduates in a couple of years.

Good point! The rest will help Michelle overall as she has had her share of nagging injuries. In my decades of coaching this is one of the most grueling programs I have ever seen. I heard they even had some full blown two hour practices on the day of a game last year. Though the kids are in shape, I think this sometimes leads to nagging injuries. Don't know if this will be the case this year. I do believe, we'll like this team!!! Stay healthy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
            I heard they even had some full blown two hour practices on the day of a game last year.
            Wow, that is hard to believe and just doesn't make good sense to me. Was that done as a punishment? Do they do that at Tennessee? Walk throughs and shoot arounds on game day are one thing, but a full blown practice just doesn't calculate in my feeble mind. It is a long, grueling season. My feeling is get in shape in the preseason - maintain and preserve energy during the season. BWDIK.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              Wow, that is hard to believe and just doesn't make good sense to me. Was that done as a punishment? Do they do that at Tennessee? Walk throughs and shoot arounds on game day are one thing, but a full blown practice just doesn't calculate in my feeble mind. It is a long, grueling season. My feeling is get in shape in the preseason - maintain and preserve energy during the season. BWDIK.
              When I was in college, while I didn't play basketball, we several times had some full blown practices on game day. Helped us loosen up and get the blood flowing. We did this in the AM, and games were evening. We won each time. We did not, however, ask for more even with the streak of wins.

Comment

[QUOTE=1972Shocker;271583]Wow, that is hard to believe and just doesn't make good sense to me. Was that done as a punishment? Do they do that at Tennessee? Walk throughs and shoot arounds on game day are one thing, but a full blown practice just doesn't calculate in my feeble mind. It is a long, grueling season. My feeling is get in shape in the preseason - maintain and preserve energy during the season.

I don't know if it was punishment. I remember seeing blogs last year about how tired the team looked at times. This could have played into it. I do know many times fatique is mental. Who knows. I just want to see a healthy team clicking on all cylinders.

Comment

I thought that last years team looked very injured and worn down. Jessica Diamond limped through multiple games, and on several games could barely run because of cramps/injuries at the end of games. Michelle limped off the floor a number of times and i remember telling those i was at the game with that i couldn't believe she wasn't seriously hurt. I know of several times where the team had practices on game days, and on one occasion one of the girls said they were lifting weights after a game. I know Jody wants the girls tough, both mentally and physically but with school work, etc, I worry that maybe its too much. She has lost quite a few players in recent years. Maybe there's a reason.

Comment

[QUOTE=Shox1979;272618]I thought that last years team looked very injured and worn down. Jessica Diamond limped through multiple games, and on several games could barely run because of cramps/injuries at the end of games. Michelle limped off the floor a number of times and i remember telling those i was at the game with that i couldn't believe she wasn't seriously hurt. I know of several times where the team had practices on game days, and on one occasion one of the girls said they were lifting weights after a game. I know Jody wants the girls tough, both mentally and physically but with school work, etc, I worry that maybe its too much. She has lost quite a few players in recent years. Maybe there's a reason.

As I have said before, this is not for the meek and mild. Jessica needing to surgically repair a shoulder, Crystal out last year with a stress fracture in her shin, Kelsey out with a stress fracture in her low back. "Play through the pain." I'll say it again, "This is not for the meek and mild."

Comment

[QUOTE=oldtimewomen's hoopcoach;272652]
                      Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
                      As I have said before, this is not for the meek and mild. Jessica needing to surgically repair a shoulder, Crystal out last year with a stress fracture in her shin, Kelsey out with a stress fracture in her low back. "Play through the pain." I'll say it again, "This is not for the meek and mild."
                      Agreed, however there's a difference in playing with pain and playing with injury as you well know.

On Michelle:
                      My son sat out last year with basically the same issue as Michelle. It can be overcome but it will be important for her to follow the doctors instructions to the letter. I'm thankful that they found the porblem as quickly as they did as it took 2 months of back and forth to the trainers and family docs before they figured it out with my son.
                      Her experience and presence on both ends of the floor will be greatly missed. Im sure we were all looking forward to her contributions to this team.

GO SHOCKS!!
                      History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=Hoopzdad;272670][QUOTE=oldtimewomen's hoopcoach;272652]

Agreed, however there's a difference in playing with pain and playing with injury as you well know.

Very true. Playing in pain is common for athletes, this program has had players playing with injuries. It is do or die, hard nose, tough. I remember my very tough coach 45 years ago saying, "You've got to know the difference between pain and injury."

On Michelle:
                        My son sat out last year with basically the same issue as Michelle. It can be overcome but it will be important for her to follow the doctors instructions to the letter. I'm thankful that they found the porblem as quickly as they did as it took 2 months of back and forth to the trainers and family docs before they figured it out with my son.
                        Her experience and presence on both ends of the floor will be greatly missed. Im sure we were all looking forward to her contributions to this team.

GO SHOCKS!!

Comment

A rehtorical question: Do you play better with pain or pain free all other things being equal?

In the great majority of cases you should be able to perform at a higher level if you are pain free. Of course, you will probably never be totally pain free. However, a Coach needs to balance the need for toughness and discipline with the need to have players in peak physical condition. And yes, it is possible to overwork athletes to the point of diminishing their physical and mental sharpness.

Comment

Working...
                          X