No announcement yet.

Shocker WBB Recruiting - Class of 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like what I have seen of the two high school players Emani (6-1 G) and Shamaryah (5-10 G) and they bring good size to the wing positions. Not very much info available on Ene. I guess if she can rebound and knock her free throws down she might be an upgrade from Raven. Raven can rebound but so far has not been very good at the free throw line.

Personally I would have preferred a 3rd high school player over a Juco transfer unless the Juco player was potentially impact player. Not sure Ene fits that description. We are adding Ene to what will already would be a crowded junior class next year if everyone returns. On the other hand you can afford a little excess in one class if you are using all 15 scholarships, which HCKA does, and all your talent isn't concentrated in that one class. Always possible that HCKA could redshirt Ene although I don't think that will happen. In any case HCKA doesn't seem to be overly concerned about having a concentration of players in a class. Of course, she inherited that problem when she took over the Shocker program. Since you can pretty much get by with a 10 player rotation I guess all you really need is 2-3 rotation players in each class to be balanced.

Comment

On another thread @mjbaker posted:
      I assume everything is good with the WBB team? No transfers correct?
      I responded that I was unaware of any transfers.

HCKA had 3 seniors on the 2019-20 team that are moving on (Raven Prince, Ashley Reid and Maya Brwerer - all 2-year juco transfers).

Seemingly her roster was full again at the 15 schlolarship players with the 3 players discussed in this thread. Incoming freshman Emani Jenkins (6-1 G) and Shamaryah Duncan (5-10 G) and juco transfer Ene Adams (6-1 F).

However, it looks like HCKA may have added another juco transfer to her roster:

https://twitter.com/r_johnson8588/st...76667657601024

Rachel Johnson is a 5-8, 160 lb guard who played at Chipola College in Florida.

Here are are sophomore year stats: https://chipolaathletics.com/sports/...on_rachel_q3ct

This would imply that either one of the previous 3 recruits may not be showing up or one of our returning players is leaving the program. At this point I have no idea which it might be.

Rachel looks to me like a pretty good get. The Shockers appear to be pretty deep at the guard position. Not sure if Rachel is more of a point guard or a shooting guard. I am guessing perhaps more of a shooting guard.

Sophomore season highlights: https://twitter.com/r_johnson8588/st...32553705082882

Freshman season highlights: https://twitter.com/r_johnson8588/st...31540247961600
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 1, 2020, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Received a mass email (presumably to all WBB season ticket hodlers) from HC Keitha Adams today.

Perhaps the most interesting comment in that email was:

We've been working very hard on recruiting and that's going very well. We've received two commitments and we're still working.
        This doesn't indicate if these are for the Class of 2020 or possibly the Class of 2021, I am assuming one of these is Class of 2020 Juco transfer Rachel Johnson discussed in the previous post.

If both are Class of 2020 HCKA is 2 players over the 15 scholarship limit if all 3 of the signees from last November show up.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 2, 2020, 07:08 PM.

Comment

HCKA has announced her spring signing class of 3 players to go along with the 3 players she singed in the fall.

Three student-athletes signed National Letters of Intent to play for head coach Keitha Adams and the Wichita State women's basketball program during the spring signing period.

The Shockers has a full roster of 15 scholarship players last year with 3 of those being seniros. So another 3 players from last year's roster will not be returning.

The 2020-21 roster is up on Shockernet sans the 6 new incoming players and it appears the 3 other players who will not be returning are 6-5 Senior post Diamond Forrest, 5-10 redshirt Sophomore forward Natalia Ryng and 5-8 Senior shooting guard Vendela Danielsson. These are exactly the 3 players would have picked as the most likely to move on. Natalia and Vendela were foreign players so the pandemic could have been at pay there but quite frankly all 3 of these players looked to be in over their athletic and skill abilities at this level. I wish them all well.

Comment

All-in-all it looks like a pretty decent signing class to replace Raven Prince, Ashley Reid and Maya Brewer who all contributed a good number of minutes and Natalia Ryng, Vendela Danielsson and Diamond Forrest who played very little last year..

Asia Strong, the 6-2 forward out of Trinity Valley juco, looks like a nice get. Ranked No. 9 in the Don Olson Basketball Report, Strong joins Wichita State from Trinity Valley Community College. I assume that is No. 9 among juco prospects. Strong helped Trinity Valley to a 32-1 record and a perfect 18-0 mark in conference play as a sophomore. Strong averaged 14.6 points and 9.2 rebounds, while making 24 starts. A capable shooter, Strong shot 52.6 percent from the field and 81.0 percent from the free throw line.

Previously discussed 5-8 Juco guard Rachel Johnson above as well as the two upsized freshman guards, 6-0 Emani Jenkins and 5-11 Shamaryah Duncan, all looks like solid gets as well.

Will need to wait and seen about 6-1 juco transfer forward Ene Adams and 6-0 forward Carla Budane out of Portugal.

I feel like we have probably upgraded the talent on the roster a bit but evaluating recruiting classes is notoriously difficult to do at least for me.

Comment

HC Keitha Adams talks about her 3 spring recruits in at the beginning of this podcast:

Comment

Carla Budane highlights:

Comment

Working...
                X