Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019-20 Shocker Softball Offseason/Fall Season/Preseason Discussion

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    The Conference Softball Award Winners have been announced.

Shockers on the First Team are

C - Madison Perrigan
    1B - Ryleigh Buck
    SS - Laurie Derrico
    3B - Sydney McKinney (also on the All-Rookie Team)

Second Team

P - Erin McDonald

To no one's surprise, Georgina Corrick of USF is the Pitcher of the Year. The Players of the Year, both seniors, are Sarah Barker of Houston and Julia Hollingsworth of Tulsa.
    The one thing I wish the AAC would do with their Conference honors is list the class of the players. I have looked those up and here are the results:

All-Conference First Team:
    Seniors - 6: Houston 3 (including a Co-Player of the Year), Tulsa 1 (a Co-Player of the Year), Memphis 1 and Wichita State 1
    Juniors - 5: USF 1, UCF 1, Houston 1, Wichita State 2
    Sophomores - 3: USF 1 (the Pitcher of the Year), UConn 2
    Freshman - 2: Tulsa 1 and Wichita State 1

All-Conference Second Team:
    Seniors - 6: Tulsa 3, Houston 1, USF 1, UCF 1
    Juniors - 2: USF 1, UConn 1
    Sophomores - 3: Uconn 1, Memphis 1, Wichita State 1
    Freshman - 1: Memphis

Returning All-Conference Players (1st team + 2nd team = total) in order of conference finish:

USF: 2 + 1 = 3 (including the Pitcher of the Year)
    Tulsa: 1 + 0 = 1 (the Freshman of the Year)
    Houston: 1 + 0 = 1
    WSU: 3 + 1 = 4
    UCF: 1 + 0 = 1
    UConn: 2 + 2 = 4
    ECU: 0 + 0 = 0
    Memphis: 0 + 2 = 2

Non-Returning All-Conference Players:

USF: 0 + 1 = 1
    Tulsa: 1 + 3 = 4
    Houston: 3 + 1 = 4
    WSU: 1 + 0 = 1
    UCF: 0 +1 = 1
    UConn: 0 + 0 = 0
    Memphis 1 + 0 = 1

Net Returning All-Conference Players minus Departing All-Conference Players:

USF: 2 + 0 = 2
    Tulsa: 0 - 3 = - 3
    Houston: - 2 - 1 = - 3
    WSU: 2 + 1 = 3
    UCF: 1 - 1 = 0
    UConn: 2 + 2 = 4
    Memphis: -1 + 2 = 1

I would think USF will be the favorite to repeat next year simply because Georgina Corrick is returning. The Shockers look like they are positioned to make a strong challenge considering the have one of the best profiles in terms of what they are returning plus getting Bailey Lange, a 1st team UTL/P in 2018, back and getting Kaylee Huecker, who made good strides at the plate in 2019 before her injury, back.

Of course, there are many wild cards including how much players improve or regress from one year to the next, injuries, and he quality of newcomers added to teams.

As a reminder here is the Shockers incoming recruiting class:
    https://goshockers.com/news/2018/11/...y.aspx?path=sb

Bailey's injury may actually have provided a boost to the Shockers next year. Not only will Bailey be back in the mix but her absence provided an opportunity for our other pitchers to develop and improve. Erin McDonald ended up being a pleasant surprise in that respect. Caitlin Binghman had her struggles and can be effective if she can throw strikes. She till needs some work this off season to get to where she needs to be. It will be interesting to see what incoming freshman Kiersten Nixon will bring to the table as she was recruited at the time HCKA thought she would be replacing Bailey. Clearly the Shockers are set at the other end of the pitches with Madison Perrigan (Butters) behind the plate. Madison could very well be in the discussion for AAC Player of the Year next season.

On the infield the Shockers face the challenge of replacing Laurie Derrico at shortstop. My guess is that we will see is Neleigh Herring at 1st, Sydney McKinney at 2nd, Kaylee Huecker at short and Ryleigh Buck at 3rd.

Bailey Nickerson will be in either left or right and Wylie Glover most likely will be in center. Adi Reese was forced to fill in in right after Asea Webber's season ending knee injury caused a shake up in the outfield. Adi was adequate defensively but needs work at the plate as she only hit .190, There are a couple of incoming freshman who might compete for playing time in the outfield if they can handle D-1 pitching. HCKB sounded very high on Bailey Urban our of Millard South in Omaha and Lauren Johnson out of Maize South sounds like an interesting player also.

Lauren Mills had a very good year as a DH as a freshman as she was 2nd on the team in OPS at 1.035 to Butters' 1.116. Clearly Lauren has some major power potential which she flashed late in the season against USF. Hopefully, that continues to develop into next season.

All-in-all there are a lot of reasons to like the Shockers prospects next season. Expectations should be pretty high for this team and a return to post-season play would certainly be part of those expectations.

Hopefully, the way this season ended will give the Shocks a little extra motivation in attacking next season.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 18, 2019, 09:27 AM.

Not to start a different discussion but I hope the admin signs our coach to a multi year extension. She has done a nice job here. Don’t want to lose her

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
      Not to start a different discussion but I hope the admin signs our coach to a multi year extension. She has done a nice job here. Don’t want to lose her
      No need to apologize for a different discussion. The thread is intended to be a one stop spot for discussing Shocker softball between now and next season.

Coach Bredbenner did get a new 5-year contract in 2018 through 2023 at a relatively modest salary of $120,000. Not sure what the other terms are but she has some job security at Wichita State. It doesn't mean another school won't try to lure her away though.

Taylor Eldgridge: Softball coach awarded contract extension: WSU is ‘very difficult to walk away from’

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 18, 2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Nice. Still need a roll over clause in my opinion or an additional year for what seems to be a nice recruiting year. By the way thanks again for all you do in keeping the rest of the barn yard aware of our other sports . If not for you I might not have known in advance the track meet

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking the same thing with respect to an automatic rollover provision. Glad you enjoyed the AAC track championship.

National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) - Find your next career at NCAA Market. Check back frequently as new jobs are posted every day.

Comment

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          Which suggests Ryne will not be back? No changes in the Coaching Staff on the Web site.

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was was also thinking it suggest Ryne will not be back based on the following language:

Requirements include successful experience in coaching and training pitchers;

Although if this assumption is accurate it really doesn't indicate whether it is Ryne's decision to move on or whether HCKB wants to go a different direction with the pitching coach with perhaps a somewhat different skill set than Ryne brought to the table.

Ryne's resume was not real deep when he came to the Shocks. My impression was that his background was more about pitching philosophy and perhaps not as much in terms of teaching pitching technique and mechanics. Again I could be off base in that assessment. But Caitlin Bingham might be a good example of a pitcher that could benefit from more help with technique and mechanics more so than pitching philosophy.

In any case, this posting was just made today so we'll see what happens. It's possible HCKB has someone in mind already but might need to post the job listing for a certain period of time to comply with state rules. It is also possible Ryne has decided to move on and HCKB is starting from scratch in the search.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 20, 2019, 06:14 PM.

Morgan Lashley Joins Shocker Softball Staff as Pitching Coach

Morgan Lashley will come to Wichita State to lead the Shocker pitching staff after a stellar playing career in the circle for Hofstra and Army and most recently completing her master's degree in sports business management at the University of Alabama where she was a graduate assistant for the Crimson Tide softball program.

Morgan had the opportunity to meet with our pitchers throughout the hiring process and I felt like she created a very good description of how good they can be through hard work, focus and dedication. We all were excited about her pitching philosophy and felt it was a perfect fit for the team.

Not a lot of coaching experience but not much different than Ryne Stefankiewicz had when he was hired. Perhaps the primary difference is that Morgan has actually been in the circle as a pticher. Whether or not that experience and being a female will allow her to perhaps connect better with the Shocker ptichers remains to be seen. (Although I don't mean to imply that was a problem with Ryne -- I have no idea about that nor what the reasons are for him leaving or being replaced.)
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 18, 2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Morgan Lashley Joins Shocker Softball Staff as Pitching Coach

Morgan Lashley will come to Wichita State to lead the Shocker pitching staff after a stellar playing career in the circle for Hofstra and Army and most recently completing her master's degree in sports business management at the University of Alabama where she was a graduate assistant for the Crimson Tide softball program.

Morgan had the opportunity to meet with our pitchers throughout the hiring process and I felt like she created a very good description of how good they can be through hard work, focus and dedication. We all were excited about her pitching philosophy and felt it was a perfect fit for the team.

Not a lot of coaching experience but not much different than Ryne Stefankiewicz had when he was hired. Perhaps the primary difference is that Morgan has actually been in the circle as a pticher. Whether or not that experience and being a femaile will allow her to perhaps connect better with the Shocker ptichers remains to be seen. (Although I don't mean to imply that was a problem with Ryne -- I have no idea about that nor what the reasons are for him leaving or being replaced.)
          Why did Ryne Stefankiewicz leave? Did he get another job offer or was it something else?

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            As I mentioned at the end of my post i have no idea. This has happened very quietly. Perhaps someone closer to the inner workings of the program could shed some light on that. Chances are we'll never know for sure.

• flyingMoose
            flyingMoose commented
            Editing a comment
            Ryne is still listed on the Web site as a coach although the post for the hiring of Morgan is up. Hmm - bad form.

His latest Twitter post is for June 12 with nothing about coaching changes.

I would note that Erin attributed her increased effectiveness this year to throwing her rise for strikes rather than as a waste pitch, a change I would think Ryne heavily influenced if not mandated.

nm
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 19, 2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Looks like recent Shocker grad Laurie Derrico will fill the Director of Operations role for Shocker Softball in 2020.

Comment

Fall Dates Announced for Shocker Softball

8 game fall schedule including 2 games vs Jucos (Crowder College and Seminole State), 4 vs D-II programs (Southern Nazarene, Arkansas Tech, Central Oklahoma and Emporia State) and 2 D-1 games (at Oklahoma State and home vs Kansas).

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 5, 2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

So. Lauren Mills was not only the Gatorade Softball Player of the Year for Kansas as a senior she was the also the 5A state powerlifting champ as a junior and senior in high school.

Beast mode indeed!

Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 27, 2019, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                  ShockTalk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  But can she hit a rising fast ball?

• 1972Shocker
                  1972Shocker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As a freshman she had a .333 batting average (1st on the team) a on-base percentage of 0.518 (1st on the team), slugging percentage of 0.517 (3rd on the team) and an OPS of 1.035 (2nd to Butters' 1.116)

I don't know how well she hits the rise ball but she seems to be pretty good at laying off the rise ball.

She only hit 3 home runs as a freshman but my expectations are that number will be quite a bit higher this year as a sophomore. We will see. No question the power potential is there.

I'm hoping she is ready to slot in behind Butters in the batting order and give Butters some protection. I like Butters in the 3-hole and Lolo in the 4-hole.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 28, 2019, 02:28 PM.

RH: Lange Used Time in Dugout to Learn, Lead

"Pitching is back to normal, hitting is back to normal," Lange said. "I played outfield. That was pretty normal."

Normal is good for Lange and the Shockers.

Comment

Shockers Win Fall Opener; Sunday’s Game Postponed

Wichita State won its fall opener over Southern Nazarene, 18-3, Saturday afternoon at Wilkins Stadium.

Three Shockers homered in the game, led by freshman Bailey Urban's grand slam. Lauren Mills and Madison Perrigan each delivered two-run bombs to pace the offensive attack.

I didn't see a box score but I think they played 10 innings. Not sure who all pitched for the Shocks.

Additionally, it was announced that Sunday's game vs. Arkansas Tech would be postponed due to inclement weather. This game will be rescheduled for a date to be determined later.

Comment

Shocks fall to OSU 10-4 in fall game at Stillwater. Apparently, box scores not available for fall games.

Wichita State wasn't able to keep up with Oklahoma State's bats, as the Cowgirls doubled the Shockers hit total en route to a 10-4 OSU win at Cowgirl Stadium on Sunday.

Comment

Box Score from yesterdays games at OSU

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Comment

Working...
                      X