AAC TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIP - CESSNA STADIUM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAC TRACK & FIELD CHAMPIONSHIP - CESSNA STADIUM

I thought it would be worthwhile to start a separate thread for the upcoming 2019 AAC Outdoor Track & Field Championship on Friday, Saturday and Sunday May 10th, 11th and 12th considering that this will be the 1st time ever for Wichita State to host an AAC Championship and considering that both the Shocker men and women should be very competitive in this meet.

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/5/1/track-and-field-wichita-state-set-to-host-american-championships.aspx

We can follow the women's performances here and I will create a similar thread on the Men's Sports forum to follow the Shocker women.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate and will get a great weekend to for track and field.

HEAD COACH STEVE RAINBOLT ON...

…opening statements:

"I felt like last weekend was a special weekend for the program, some of our distance runners went to the Drake Relays and had terrific success. The group won both of the 1500m seeded sections, Zack Penrod won the men's and Rebekah Topham won the women's and we won other heats in the unseeded sections. Then out in Lubbock, Texas, in a triangular with Texas Tech and Nebraska, we had a lot of terrific performances. There were more than a dozen additions to our all-time top-10 lists...we had a school record in the women's 4x400m and lots of other additions, it felt like there were a lot of great things happening. I like to think our program does this consistently at this time of year, we feel like we are rounding into shape and into a strong championship level shape."

…hosting the American Athletic Conference Championships:

"We're hosting the outdoor championships at Cessna Stadium and we would love it if the community would come out strong to support the Shockers and see a great track meet. I think they'll see a wonderful track and field competition, it will be unique and meaningful for the local community to see the American Athletic Conference for the first time. You'll see different teams, UConn, USF, UCF, ECU, Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati, SMU and others, these are teams that our local track and field fans have never seen in Wichita. We feel like both of our teams stack up well for a conference title, Houston will certainly be the team to beat on the men's side but we will be right there battling to find a way to get up there and beat them for that title. On the women's side, it appears there are maybe four to five teams that are competing and we certainly appear to be one of the top teams along with Cincinnati. The conference gives out a championship trophy and runner-up trophy if we left there with two trophies that would be great but I think our athletes are developing an appetite for winning a championship at this meet."
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2019, 02:59 PM.

Here are a few tools you might find of interest although I doubt many Shocker fans get into this as deeply as I do.

Shocker Women's Outdoor Top 10 Marks - Current Shocker athletes are in bold print.

2019 AAC Outdoor Performance List - You can adjust the filters on this depending on what you want to see/ For those who may not be familiar with Track & Field team scoring the top 8 finishers in each event score points on a 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 scale. So for example if WSU is 1st and 4th in an event they would score 15 points for that event. Here are the team scores from last year with the Shocker women finishing 9th with 45.5 points. But don't let that fool you. The Shockers redshirted about half the women's team last year and they finished 3rd in this year's AAC Indoor Championship in a very tightly contested meet.

One place the Shocks are traditionally strong is in the heptathlon. This year should be no different assuming the Shockers are healthy and ready to go. Here is a heptathlon calculator that you can play with track and project how the decathlon is going and how a particular mark would impact the scoring. The decathlon is one event where the current year performance list doesn't tell you much.

If you want to see the PR's (personal records) for any individual Shocker athlete go to the team roster, click on the athlete's name and then under their photo click on the Season and Career Results link.

If I get time next week I will post a list of Shocker women who have Top 10 AAC marks heading into the AAC Tournament as that is still subject to some change this weekend.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 1, 2019, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Here are the Lady Shocks who have Top 10 marks in the AAC this year heading into the AAC Championship.

100 Meters -- No Shockers -- So. Paula Garcia qualifies for the finals with and 11.73 clocking in the prelims. In the finals Paula clocks 11.69 good for 6th place and 3 unexpected points. Nice work Paula.

200 Meters -- Paula Garcia (#2 @ 23.66), Taniyah McMillian (#8 @ 23.75) -- Paula qualifies 3rd with a 23.80 prelim time but Taniya failed to advance to the finals. Paula runs 23.73 in the finals to finish 6th good for 3 points.

400 Meters -- Tianna Holmes (#4 @ 53.91) -- Tianna runs a 54.42 in the prelims and she is through to the finals. In the finals Tianna did not have her best race finishing 8th at 55.27 for 1 point.

800 Meters -- No Shockers -- However, Yazmine Wright is #11 at 2:13.58 and she did run a 2:11 at the AAC Indoor Championship so I think she can run faster. -- Yes, Yazmine could run faster. She qualifies for the finals running a 2:10.76 in the prelims which was the 4th fastest time and a nice new PR for the freshman. In Yazmine clocks in at 2:14.17 to finish 6th to pick up 3 unplanned points.

1500 Meters -- Rebekah Topham (#3 @ 4:24.76, Winny Koskei (#8 @ 4:29.30), Yazmine Wright (#9 @ 4:29.39) -- I doubt that Winny will run in this race. I would expect her to do the 5k and 10k races. -- Both Rebekah and Yazmine qualify for the 12-runner final. Shocker Fr. Halle Johnson missed out on qualifying for the finals by less than a half second. Rebekah finishes 2nd at 4:28.82 and Yazmine finishes 5th at 4:33.27 to accumulate 12 more points for the Shocks.

5000 Meters -- Winny Koskei (#2 @ 16:23.95), Rebekah Topham (#5 @ 16:44.84) -- SMU's Hannah Miller finally gets Winny and Rebekah as she wins the 5k with a time of 16:30.38. Winny was 2nd in 16:37.97 and Rebekah was 5th in 17:01.21 in her 4th run in 2 days. Shocks collect 12 points.

10,000 Meters -- Winny Koskei (#2 @ 33:50.68) - Winny continues her AAC success as she defends her 10k title with another win over SMU's Hannah Miller who has probably been impacted more by WSU joining the AAC more than any other individual athlete.

100 Hurdles -- Claudia Rojo (#10 @ 14.22) -- Claudia finished 9th in the prelims and missed qualifying for the finals by 1 spot.

400 Hurdles -- Claudia Rojo (#4 @ 1:00.43), Anycia Cole (#5 @ 1:00.48) -- Claudia and Anycia advance to the finals along with Alexi Whatley who set a new PR today with a time of 1:00.40. In the finals Anycia finishes 4th, Alexi 6th and Claudia 7th to collect a total of 10 points for the Shocks. Claudia was probably running on empty as she has had a very busy weekend.

3000 Steeplechase -- Rebekah Topham (#1 @ 10:09.94) -- About 75 minutes after her her 1500 meter qualifying race Rebekah came back to the track and set a new stadium and AAC Championship record in winning the 3000 steeplechase in 10:14.19 to contribute 10 points to the Shocker kitty.

4x100 Relay -- Shockers #4 @ 45.10 -- Paula Garcia, Jacque Darby, Tianna Holmes and Taniyah McMillian (2 sophomores and 2 freshmen) team up for a 45.25 for a 3rd place finish resulting in 6 points for there team.

4X400 Relay -- Shockers #3 at 3:38.65 -- Shocks could only manage a 3:46.61 and finished 9th and out of the scoring.

High Jump -- Sidney Sapp (#6 @ 5-7), Sydney Wilson (#7 @ 5-6.5) Freshman Sidney Sapp set a new outdoor PR at 5-9.75 and finished 3rd picking up 6 points.

Pole Vault -- No Shockers -- Shocker Sr. Alesa Frey clears 12-0, 12-6 and 12-10 all on her 3rd and final try and finishes 6th perhaps picking up 3 unexpected points for the Lady Shocks.

Long Jump -- no Shockers -- So. Kyleigh Severa was 9th after 3 jumps with a PR of 18-8.5 to make the finals but was unable to improve her position in her final 3 jumps just missing out on scoring.

Triple Jump -- Amiya Anoma (#4 @ 41-7), Skaila White (#9 @ 40-8.25) -- Amiya just squeezes into the finals wiith a jump of 40-4.75 and then hit 41-5.25 on her 5th attempt to finish in 5th place to score 4 points.

Shot Put -- Kelsey Slawson (#2 @ 52-2), Amanda Kakoulias (#7 @ 48-6.25) -- Kelsey had a very consistent competition with her throw of 51-4.5 good enough to win Kesley an AAC shot put championship. Amanda finished 8th with a throw of 47-9.25 to chip in a point. The Shocks pick up 11 points in this event.

Discus -- Kelsey Slawson (#3 @ 165-1), Amanda Kakoulias (#10 @ 153-1) -- Kelsey fouled on all of her 1st 3 throws and Amanda only threw 142-1 as both missed moving on to the finals and failing to score. This one hurt as the Shocks were expecting some points from Kelsey.

Hammer -- No Shockers - Cincy Annette Echikunwoke dominates the event with the 3 best throws of the day on her 1st 3 attempts inlcuding. I think all 3 broke previous AAC Championship record with her best throw of 214-7 on her 3rd try setting the new standard. As expected no Shocker points in this event.

Javelin -- Kendra Henry (#3 @ 153-8), Carlea Miles (#7 @ 142-6), Andrea Navarro (#9 @ 140-1), Jessica Gardiner (#10 @ 138-3) -- I am not sure that Carlea is health. -- Kendra hit a nice PR of 161-0 on her 3rd throw putting her in 3rd place. Andrea and Carlea also made the final 9 earning and additional 3 throws. Andrea is 8th and Carly 9th pending the final 3 throws. Looks like Carlea has some elbow pain and may be limited. Kendra finishes 3rd and Calrea throws 141-10 on her final throw to move from 9th to 7th. Andrea finished 9th. 8 points for the Shocks. Right in line with expectations. Kendra earns All-Conference honors.

Heptathlon -- Claudia Rojo (#2 @ 4973), Kendra Henry (#3 @ 4955), Sidney Wilson (#4 @ 4869) -- Big result for the Shocks. Kendra (5,249), Claudia (5,219) and Sidney (5,106) go 1-2-3 as all 3 set new PR's. The Shocks pick up a big 24 points about 5 more than expectations.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 13, 2019, 12:58 AM.

Comment

TICKETS

Single day tickets, all-session passes and heat sheets can be purchased beginning May 10, at the west side gates of Cessna Stadium only.

• Single-day tickets: $7 for adults, $5 for senior citizen, ages 65 and older, and children under 12, children 3 and under are free.

• All-session passes: $14 for adults and $10 for senior citizen, ages 65 and older, and children under 12, children 3 and under are free.

• Heat sheets along with a schedule of events can be purchased for $2.

If you don't want to pay $2 for the heat sheets and schedule you can print those out before heading out to Cessna Stadium.

Here is the link to the schedule: https://goshockers.com/documents/201..._of_Events.pdf

The heat sheets are not available yet.

At this point the weather is looking pretty good for a track meet. Mild temps and light winds. Temps projected to be 65-70 for highs with night time lows of around 50. A few Sunday morning showers are possible which should be of no consequence. The athletes will probably love these conditions.

Comment

If your time is limited but you would like to see pretty much non-stop action and your especially like the running events 21 running events (10 for the men and 11 for the women -- the women have 2 heats in the 5000m run; an unseeded race and a seeded race) will be contested between at 4:30 pm and 8:00 pm on Sunday.

Personally, I want to see Aaron True, Shocker senior All-American, in the javelin at 6:30pm on Friday. Not sure if they will be throwing inside the stadium or outside south of Koch Arena. I would also like to watch Winny Koskei in the 10k on Friday at around 7:55 pm as well. Although the 10K races are a bit monotonous. 25 laps that will take about 30 minutes or so. Can Winny duplicate her 5k/10k double championships that she was able to do last year. I guess if she does that would be a double-double.

Hopefully, I will have time Saturday to take in the back half of the decathlon and heptathlon. The qualifying prelims can also be exciting as you can't score on Sunday if you don't qualify for the finals. Most likely there will be multiple heats in most of these races.

I am assuming Rebekah Topham will be running in the 1500m prelims at around 6:00 pm and then comeback for the 3000m Steeplechase finals at 7:00 pm on Saturday. Then hopefully Rebekah will be in the 1500m finals on Sunday at 4:50 pm and she may also run in the 5000m run 2 hours later. That is a heavy load especially when you run at the pace Rebekah runs at.

I would expect Coach Rainbolt will have a preview of the meet on GoShockers.com sometime this week.

Comment

As listed above, WSU has great balance throughout the entire team this year so you'll be able to see Shockers throughout the entire meet. On paper it looks like WSU and Cincinnati are basically even with Memphis and SMU not far behind. Not sure what's up with Houston's women, they won the indoor title but look like a mid-pack team outdoor. The women's meet is much more balanced overall than the men's.

Comment

RH: Podcast Previewing AAC Outdoor Track with John Wise

On Wichita State's second season in the AAC:

"We're starting to get a handle on it and I think we're starting to get our philosophy figured out as to how we're attacking the conference. We're right at the top of the conference, just like we were in the Missouri Valley. We won a lot of Missouri Valley Conference titles, but we didn't win all of them. That's how we're starting to feel about this conference. The teams we built before are going to be successful in this league."

On the outlook for the women's team:

"We've got this really young team that seems to be getting better and better every week. We were at the Kansas Relays three weeks ago – big improvements there. Then we went to Texas Tech and had a huge meet there. Last week at our meet, everyone looked ready to go. These freshmen, at the end of the year, kind of have figured it out and are excited. People that weren't contributing indoor, when we only lost the conference meet by 14 points, are now contributing."

Podcast

RH: AAC Outdoor Challenges Shockers Depth

Coaches consider the schedule when entering events and factor in the potential for fatigue. Topham, for example, runs in the 1,500 prelims at 6 p.m. Saturday, followed by the 3,000-meter steeplechase at 7:45. On Sunday, the 1,500 final is scheduled for 4:50 p.m. and the 5,000 at 7:05.

"Ultimately, we go for it," Rainbolt said. "we will talk about sometimes and we will think 'Gosh, maybe we should pick one of those events or maybe we need to be conservative and really put it all on one event.' Generally, we find ourselves 'Let's give it a go and see.'"

Packing those events into two days is new for Topham, who redshirted last season. She previously ran in the Missouri Valley Conference championship meets with her four events spread over three days.

"Prelims, you always want to get by as slow as possible and just make the final," she said. "I'm just hoping the 1,500 prelims will be kind of like a shake-loose where I don't have to run all out. The second day, I'll have the 1,500 finals, hopefully. Then give whatever I have left in the 5k."

Shockers Set to Host AAC Championships

Taylor Eldridge: Five must-see athletes, events in Wichita for AAC outdoor track, field championships

Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 11, 2019, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Heptathlon - Friday Events:

Unlike the men's decathlon with only 8 competitors the women's heptathlon has 15 entrants.

100 Hurdles: Shocker Jr. Claudia Rojo wins the event in 14.27 seconds good for a strong 9741 points. Shocker Sophomore Sidney Willson was 2nd in 14.38, a new PR, good for 925 points. So. Kendra Henry, who is not real strong in the speed events was 7th with a time of 14.90 (just 0.02 off her PR) for 855 points.

High Jump: Sidney wins the high jump at 5-7.25, another PR, good for 867 points. Kendra finished 3rd at 5-5, a new PR for her, good for 795 points. Claudia finished 7th at 5-3.25 for 759 points.

After 2 events: Sidney leads with 1,792 points, Claudia is 2nd with 1,700 points, Cincy Sr. Naomi Urbano is 3rd at 1,666, Kendra is 4th at 1,650 points and Cincy Jr. Katie Straus is 5th at 1,641 points.

Shot Put: Usually a relatively good event for Kendra. Not sure about the Cincy athletes. Kendra does, in fact, win he shot put with a throw of 41-0.25, a new PR good for 694 points. Both of the Cincy athletes had good throws as well at 39-6 for Straus and 38-4.25 for Urbano.

After 3 events: Sidney continues to lead with 2,404 points, Kendra moves up to 2nd at 2,344, Cincy's Urbano is 3rd at 2,307, Cincy's Straus is 4th at 2,305 and Claudia is 5th at 2,282.

200m Dash: Sidney wins her 2nd event with a time of 25.61 good for 832 points. Claudia was 3rd at 25.89 but Kendra, again not a strong sprinter, 10th at 26.85.

At the end of day one (4 events): Sidney leads the pack at 3,286 points, Comcy's Straus, the favorite, moves up to 2nd at 3,107 points, Claudia is 3rd at 3,089 points, Kendra is 4th at 3,068 points, with ECU Jr. Bria Stith in 5th at 3,058 and Cincy's Ubano 6th at 2,973.

On tap for tomorrow are the long jump, javelin, and the 800m run. Kendra will be competing in the open Javelin this evening.

Rainbolt considered the day 1 performances from Wilson, Rojo and Henry as above-average as they battle Cincinnati’s Katie Straus, who is in second place. The team title is expected to come down to a close race between WSU and Cincinnati, so how the top of the heptathlon shakes out could potentially be a big swing for the Shockers.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 11, 2019, 08:49 AM.

Comment

See post #3 above for event results vs pre-meet performance charts.

Friday's results -- pretty good start for the Shocks with Winny Koskei winning her 2nd consecutive AAC 10k title, Yazmine Wright qualifying for the 800m finals, qualifying 3 into the 400 hurdle finals, having 3 of the top 4 places in the heptathlon at the end of Day 1 and scoring in line with expectations in the javelin. A long, long way to go but a good start for the Lady Shocks.

Koskei, True Defend American Conference Titles

Taylor Eldridge Reports on Friday's Action
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 11, 2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Heptathlon - Saturday Results

Long Jump -- Shocker junior Claudia Rojo wins the long jump with a leap of 18-5 for 732 points. Shocker sophomore Sidney Wilson, the overall leader after Day1, scored 648 points with a jump of 17-5.5 but fellow sophomore Kendra Henry could only manage a jump of 16-5.75.

After 5 events Sidney mantains her lead with 3,884 points, Claudia moves up 1 spot to 2nd place with 3,821 points, ECU's Bria Stith is 3rd at 3,773, top seed Katie Strauss of Cincinnati is 4th at 3,721 and Kendra is 5th at 3,633 points.

Javelin -- this is where Kendra needs to make a move. She finished 3rd in the open javelin on Friday with an new PR. Kendra does indeed launch a great javelin throw of 159-3 to win the javelin by 44 feet over teammate Claudia Rojo who threw 115-3 for 2nd. Sidney, who is weakest in the strength events, was 7th with a throw of 101-9. Kendra scored 832 points compared to 574 for 2nd place Claudia.

After 6 events Kendra's javelin effort rockets her from 5th place overall to 1st place overall 4,465 points with Claudia 70 points back at 4,395 and Sidney has dropped back to 3rd with 4,380 points. ECU's Stith is 4th at 4,238 and Cincy's Straus is 5th at 4,203.

800m Run -- Not sure how the Shocks stack up in this event but it's always good to go into this final event with a lead. Claudia Rojo gave it everything she had to won the 800 with a 2:19.66 but Kendra did what she had to do finishing at 2:22.97 to hang on to the overall lead and Sidney did enough to hold on to 3rd.

So Kendra Henry as she is wont to do comes from behind to win the heptathlon with a new PR of 5,249 (8th all-time at WSU), followed closely by Claudia Rojo at 5,219 points (also a new PR and Top 10 all-time at WSU) and Sidney Wilson at 5,106 points (also a new PR) with all 3 ladies earning AAC All-Conference honors.

More importantly the Shockers scored 24 big points towards the team total exceeding expectations and Cincinnati, thought to be the team favorite along with the Shocks, only scoring 9 points.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 11, 2019, 01:57 PM.

Comment

With 8 of 21 events scored at the end of Saturday the Shocks lead Cincinnati 66-47.

The Shocks scoring came from 8 points in the javelin, 10 points in the 10k, 24 points for a 1-2-3 finish in the heptathlon, 11 points in the shot put, 3 points in the pole vault and 10 points in the 3k steeplechase.

So do the Shocks have enough to hold off the Bearcats over the remaining 13 event to be scored on Sunday. After reviewing the results of the prelims and the performance charts for other events to be scored tomorrow I think the Shocks do have enough to hold off the Bearcats.

The Shockers should get scoring from the following athletes on Sunday:

Fr. Amiya Anoma in the triple jump.

Sr. Kelsey Slawson and maybe So. Amanda Kakoulias in the discus.

So. Sydney Wilson and Fr. Sidney Sapp in the high jump.

Jr. Rebekah Topham and maybe Fr. Yazmine Wright in the 1500m run.

Fr. Yazmine Wright in the 800m run.

Fr. Tianna Holmes in the 400m dash.

So. Paula Garcia in the 100m and 200m dashes.

Jrs. Claudia Rojo and Alexi Whatley and Fr. Anycia Coles in the 400m hurdles.

So. Winny Koskei and Jr. Rebekah Topham in the 5000m run.

Middle of the pack points in the 4x100 and 4x400 relays.

:poster_shocks:

Comment

Taylor Eldgridge: AAC Track & Field Championship - Day 2 Recap

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...230307394.html

GoShockers.com: Shockers Claim Five Individual Titles, Sweep Multis - Day 2 Recap

https://goshockers.com/news/2019/5/1...eep-multi.aspx
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2019, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Proving There Is More Than One Way to Skin A Cat

I thought the Decathlon and Heptathlon event were quite interesting in showing that there is more than one way to get the job done.

In the Decathlon Ben Johnson, the event champion, had the best marks in 2 of the 10 events while runner up Jordan Torney of UConn had the best marks in 5 of the 10 events. Ben won because he was the model of consistency as he also had 2nd place marks in 3 events, 3rd place marks in 4 events and a 5th place mark in one event in which there was little separation among the results. Torney had a 2nd place marks in events giving him 7 of the 10 events where he finished 1st or 2nd. However, in his other 3 events he was 6th, 7th and 8th. However, Jordan Torney's day will come as he is only a sophomore and will probably be the favorite in the decathlon the next 2 years. Hopefully, Jake Horsch will be back next year for the Shocks. Not sure what his situation is.

In the Heptathlon Shocker Kendra Henry took pretty much an opposite track from Ben in winning the heptathlon. In 3 of the 7 events she finished 7th, 10th and 14th. However, she overcame those relatively weak results with very strong results in winning the shot put and javelin. She was especially strong in the javelin where she gained anywhere from 258 to 435 points on the rest of the field. Kendra was 3rd and 4th in her other 2 events.

In sweeping the top 3 spots of the heptathlon the Shockers had the top marks in all 7 events. Kendra in the shot put and javelin. Claudia Rojo won the 100 hurldes, the long jump and the 800m run. Sidney Wilson won the high jump and the 200m run. BTW, Kendra a sophomore, Claudia a junior and Sidney a sophomore will all be back next year. Hopefully, all 3 will improve in their weaker events and continue to perform well in their stronger events. Kendra is relatively weak in the 100 hurdles, 200m dash and the long jump. Claudia needs work the high jump and the shot put and Sidney, who is tall and slender, needs work in shot put, javelin and 800 meters. Kendra now has back-to-back AAC heptathlon titles as a freshman and a sophomore but she better not rest on her laurels. Claudia was nipping at her heels this year and if she stays healthy she will be right their again next year. Sindey is interesting. It will be interesting to see how much muscle the conditioning coaches can put on that slender frame.

Comment

Shocker Fr. Amiya Anoma did not make the final 9 in the triple jump and will not score.

Correction: My mistake Amiya did make the final 9 and improved her distance on her 5th throw to 41-5.25 and finished in 5th place.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2019, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Kelsey fouled on all 3 of her discus attempts and both she and Amanda failed to make the top 9 and will not score on the finals. Not a good start for the Lady Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X