Shocker SB v USF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v USF

The Shockers host USF this weekend in their last conference series. Games are Friday at 6pm, Saturday (Senior Day!) at 3pm, and Sunday at 11am.

The Bulls are in first place in the AAC standings with a record of 16-2 and have an overall record of 38-15. Both conference losses are to Tulsa. They have a record of 4-11 against teams who were at least RV in one of the two polls. USF is RV in the ESPN poll, but is not ranked in the coaches' poll. They are 26 in RPI. Tulsa is RV in both polls and is 24 in RPI. As stated in another thread, both of these teams should qualify for NCAA post-season play.

Using conference-only stats, the primary pitchers for the Bulls are Georgina Corrick, who gets two starts each weekend, and Nicole Doyle, who gets the other start. Corrick has an ERA of 0.61 and a WHIP of 0.78. The numbers for Doyle are 2.43 and 1.11.

The only two hitters with an OPS above .800 for USF are Lindsey Devitt (.881 and three homers) and AnaMarie Bruni (.852) .

For the Shockers, Ryleigh (1.254 and six homers), Butters (1.088 and three homers), and Sydney (.894) lead the offense.

In the circle, we should see Erin (2.38 and 1.23) and Caitlin (4.20 and 1.80) getting the starts.

The RPI for the Shocks is 73.

Comment

• WstateU
      WstateU commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice to see WuShock joining the celebration...

Sounds like a great game. I'll need to watch the replay. The big freshman left a vapor trail on that drive. Congratulations to Lolo.

Butters with a big 2-run homer in the 1st.

Caitlin (5 innings) and Erin (3 innings) combined for a very solid game in the circle for the Shocks. Good to see Caitlin starting to figure things out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Caitlin (5 innings) and Erin (3 innings) combined for a very solid game in the circle for the Shocks. Good to see Caitlin starting to figure things out.
      Erin started the sixth unlike last weekend when Caitlin got in trouble before Erin came on. Erin was in trouble in the sixth with a walk, sac bunt and single, but Bailee threw out the runner at the plate.

Comment

I think with that win the Shocks have locked up the #4 seed in the AAC Tournament. They have a 2 game lead over 5th place UCF with 2 to play and I believe they hold the tiebreaker over UCF vy virtue of their 2-1 series win against UCF.

The Shocks technically still have a shot at 3rd place as they trail Houston by a half game with 2 to play but with the Shocks closing out against USF, the AAC's top team, and Houston closing out with ECU, the AAC's worst team that is probably not very likely.

Comment

From looking at Yurview and key parts of Game One:

Laurie's game-tying double in the third was not played well in left. The left fielder tried to slide and cut off the ball from going to the corner. It went under her glove to the fence, and Butters scored easily.

In the sixth, it appeared that the USF runner was safe at the plate, that her foot got to home plate before Butters tagged her in the upper leg. Still a close play. The Out call got a reaction of disbelief from the runner and a heated disagreement from the USF coach.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; May 5, 2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Game Two

Senior Day. I am going to this one.

I get there and it is not Senior Day - they moved it to Sunday, the traditional day.

USF 0-10(5) Shockers

Shocks just beat on the ball. The first two hitters for USF hit the ball to the warning track but Wylie tracked it down and lined out to Laurie. After that, no balls hit particularly hard and no real threats to score. The only hit for the Bulls was a one-hopper back to Erin that was head-high and she couldn't flag it down although she deflected it and neither Laurie nor Sydney could make a play on it.

Homers for the Shocks by Butters and Lauren in the first and by Bailee in the fourth among their ten hits. In the five-run second, every bounding ball seemed to find a hole through the infield. Erin had four strikeouts including the game-ender and no walks.

Game One Update: I heard a fellow say that he watched the tag play at the plate in slo-motion and that the runner was Out by inches.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; May 5, 2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              On that play at the plate I simply could not tell for sure at normal speed. My initial reaction was I thought she probably was safe. But I told my wife that was one you needed to see in slo mo and freeze from from different angles and even then it was close.

I guess Lolo kinda likes talking a leisurely jog around the bases.

If the Shocks win tomorrow USF will fall into a tie with Tulsa for the AAC regular season title.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              And Tulsa would get the #1 seed in the AAC Tournament by virtue of their two wins at USF.

Ryleigh Buck does not seem to be seeing the ball well lately. Hopefully, she can get that worked out.

Comment

Not really wild about Laurie Derrico starting her swing from a "bunt" position.

Laurie playing defense at a high level though. What a play on a ball in the hole in the top of the 4th.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                flyingMoose commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree about the "bunt" position. I understand that they are trying to get her untracked, back to the level she has shown in the past, but if you have never tried to hit that way, why go through the learning curve this late in the year? I think her pitch selection is the main issue. BWDIK.

The Shockers approach at the plate today is not very good. Needs some adjustment. Taking a lot of good pitches to hit, falling behind the count and then having to swing at borderline pitches.

Comment

Laurie get's charged with an error in the top of the 5th and misplayed pop up. While the ball did tick off her glove it looked to me like Ryeigh, at 3rd base, was the one who really misplayed that ball. Erin did a good job of working around that.

Comment

Ryleigh Buck having perhaps her worst game of the year both at the plate and in the field. Seems like she is struggling mentally.

Comment

Ryleigh can still gain redemption. Just not Ryleigh's day but she at least went down taking some good hacks.

USF wins pitching/defensive duel 1-0.. Both teams played hard but you could tell USF really wanted this one to secure the outright regular season title.

A really good game. Excellent pitching by both Corrick and by Erin McDonald. Some stellar defense by both teams but especially by the Shocks.

A very good closing weekend for the Shocks. The need to get Ryleigh right mentally and need to get Laurie right at the plate and they have a chance of winning the AAC Touranment next weekend in Houston.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 5, 2019, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Tough loss, but the gals played a solid series. They've really played well of late. I know injuries are part of the game, more so in some team sports than others, so I won't say it, but I'll still think it (**** **?).

Comment

Working...
                      X