Shocker SB v Oklahoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Oklahoma

The Shockers mid-week game is against Oklahoma, ranked #1 in both polls. The start time for the Wednesday matchup is 6pm.

The Sooners record is 41-2, 12-0. They have won 31 consecutive games and have already swept Texas and Texas Tech with Oklahoma State their only remaining opponent in the top half of the Big 12. Their two losses in the second and third weeks of the season are to Florida State, the defending national champions and ranked #1/2 at the time, and UCLA, ranked #2/2. They run-ruled Tulsa a month ago.

You may recall that Oklahoma does not put their stats on their Web site. From the Big 12 site, the leading hitters for the Sooners are Caleigh Clifton (OPS of 1.410 and 12 homers), Sydney Romero (OPS of 1.361 with 15 homers), and Grace Green (1.252 with 13 homers and on the Watch List of 25 for Freshman of the Year). There are four other players with an OPS greater than 1.000, but you have seen enough. The team OPS is 1.128.

The primary pitchers in order of innings pitched are Giselle Juarez (ERA of 1.49 and WHIP of 0.75), Mariah Lopez (1.06 and 0.76), and Shannon Saile (1.14 and 0.75). These three, all of whom average more than a strikeout per inning, have pitched all but 15.2 of the Sooner innings this year.

The Shockers record is now 28-20, 9-6.

For the season, Butters leads the hitters with an OPS of 1.147 and nine homers. Ryleigh with eight homers has an OPS of .975 and is the only other Shocker north of .900.

Erin (ERA of 3.35 and WHIP of 1.28) and Caitlin (3.21 and 1.54) are the two pitchers likely to see time in the circle for the Shocks.

One heckuva challenge facing the Shocks.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 23, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Here is the link that matches the pic.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks.

How Madison (who?) got her nickname

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      How Madison (who?) got her nickname
      Nice article.

I have definitely noticed that Butters likes to see pitches and is maybe the one player on the team that you don't worry too much about hitting behind in the count.

“She’s got more discipline than sometimes I want her to have, to be honest with you,” Bredbenner said. “She’s got a great eye and sometimes she’ll watch pitches I think she can hit. She loves to hit in a 2-strike count, which drives me crazy as a coach but she can get away with it because she has such a great eye and every at-bat means something to hear.”
      At first it kind of drove me crazy as well but then you relaize for Butters it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Comment

Caitlin is in the circle for the Shocks, and Mariah Lopez has the start for Oklahoma.

With the Sooner offense, it is no surprise that they get on the board early. After one out, a walk, double and three-run homer follow. Caitlin is trying to mix in a number of change-ups (the homer was off a change), but the Sooners are an experienced lot. Two fly-ball outs follow.

Three up, three down for the Shocks, and the score is 3-0 after one.

The Sooners are scoreless in the second with a one-out single. Five of their six outs have been fly balls. That may say something about their swing plane, about their offensive approach. Or it may only say something about the pitches that Caitlin throws.

In the Shocker half of the second, Bailee gets a single that scoots under the second baseman's glove, but she is the only baserunner. Lopez gets her first two strikeouts in the inning.

I am soon gone for the duration. May as well stop here.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; April 24, 2019, 06:38 PM.

Comment

I was only able to follow the 1st inning. At that point I was thinking this would be a 5 inning game and, in fact, it was. OU wins 8-0.

Caitlin pitches all 5 innings for the Shocks.

The Shocks only managed 2 singles. The Shocks were 1 batter short of getting through the lineup twice.

​​​​​​OU is a very impressive team

Comment

Working...
          X