Shocker SB at Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB at Arkansas

The Shockers travel to Fayetteville on Wednesday for a mid-week DH against Arkansas with the first game starting at 4pm. The Razorbacks are 26-14 with a 6-9 record in the SEC. One of their losses is to Tulsa. They are #18 in the Coaches poll and are RV26 in the ESPN poll. These games are available on an ESPN channel (SEC+), perhaps depending on your device and cable provider.

The leading hitters for Arkansas are Danielle Gibson (OPS of 1.081 and nine homers), Katie Warrrick (.985 and seven homers), and Ashley Diaz (.946 and six homers).

Autumn Storms (ERA of 1.70 and WHIP of 1.08) and Mary Haff (2.31 and 1.10) are the pitchers for the Razorbacks. Haff was the pitcher last year in Wichita, a game won by the Shockers by the score of 1-0 on a home run by Butters.

The Shockers are now 23-17 on the season. Butters (1.104 and eight homers) leads the offense with Ryleigh (.968 and five homers) and Laurie (.906 and six homers) next in line.

Based on last weekend, the two pitchers for the Shocks are now Erin (3.27 and 1.24) and Hailey (2.69 and 1.18).
    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 10, 2019, 11:04 AM. Reason: add this week's ESPN poll ranking

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    Based on last weekend, the two pitchers for the Shocks are now Erin (3.27 and 1.24) and Hailey (2.69 and 1.18).
    I would not be surprised if they use Caitlin at some point against Arkansas, if for no other reason, to see if their is any hope she might be able to help this Shocker team yet this year. I also would not be surprised if that does not happen.

Comment

It's a beautiful warm day here in Fayetteville but very very windy.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds pretty much identical to our weather. Mid-80's with 25 mph winds.`

Looks like we have a cold front moving in early tomorrow and the next 3 days will be in the low to mid-50's through Saturday. We might even get a little snow Saturday night. Still pretty windy tomorrow just with a north wind instead of a south wind.

Glad we are heading to Memphis over the weekend.

Game One

Erin in the circle for the Shocks, and Autumn Storms for the Hogs.

Arkansas got their first runner to second in the third, and the Shockers followed in the fourth.

However, UA got one all the way around in their fourth: walk, walk, single to load the bases, and a wild pitch. The Shocks have one hit through four and the Razorbacks have only two.

A hit batter, double, wild pitch and sac fly score two more for the Hogs in the fifth. 3-0 after five.

The Shockers get on the board in the sixth on a solo shot by Sydney, well over the 220' fence in center.

Oh, I am getting the game on WatchESPN on my iPad. Well, an inning or so ago when I got back.

In the bottom of the sixth, the Razorbacks score two on two singles, a wild pitch and a double, all with no outs. Hailey is on in relief.

Hailey is no mystery. Single, line out, sac fly to the warning track, double, single to score one, double to score one, and another single to score another and end the game by the runs-ahead rule.

Shockers 1-9(6) Arkansas

Sydney had both of the Shocker hits. Erin pitched reasonably well until the fifth, but the games are longer than that.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; April 10, 2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Arkansas sticking it to the Shocks in the bottom of the 6th. 2 singles and a 2-run double ended Erin's day and then Haleigh came on and poured gasoline on the fire. Arkansas scores 6 and all of a sudden it is a 9-1 run-rule game.

I think we will see Caitlin in game 2. What can it hurt?

Comment

Game Two

Lauren has the start in this one (it will not be pretty) as the FLEX, and Caitlin is the DP. If Lauren gets in trouble, Caitlin can slide into the circle and remain in the batting order. Mary Haff starts for Arkansas.

Some position changes for the Shocks: Sydney in right, Ryleigh at third, and Neleigh at first. Several balls were hit past Sydney in the sixth inning of the first game.

In the first, Butters unloads on Haff, well over the fence in left.

Caitlin is in the circle, playing defense for the FLEX. After two outs, she yields a single and a four-pitch walk, but all the pitches on the walk were close, not wild high as is the custom. The next batter is called out on strikes. Caitlin threw a number of effective change-ups in the inning.

I'm away for the duration.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; April 10, 2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

4-3 Hogs final in the 2nd game.

Comment

The Shockers got a run in the third. Kaylee led off with a double and eventually scored on a throwing error.

Caitlin had her bad inning in the bottom of the third. After a hit batter and a single, the Hogs had an RBI-double followed by a three-run homer.

In the Shocker seventh, Bailee is hit by a pitch, and Storms is on in relief of Haff with one out. Neleigh singles and the runners advance on a ground out. On some crazy sounding fielder's choice (I will have look at the Replay), the Shocks scored another run, the third out of the inning happening somewhere in the play.

Explanation: A ground ball to short was held with no throw being made and run #3 (pinch-runner Adi) scored. Kasidee from second, assuming a throw to first for the last out of the game had been made, rounded third and headed for home. The shortstop made the throw home, and Kasidee scrambled back to third. However Kaylee, the batter, was now between second and third. They both ended up at/near third, and Kasidee was tagged for the final out.

Shockers 3-4 Arkansas

Caitlin's outing is very encouraging from a Shocker point-of-view. She gave up four hits and five walks and had four strike outs. The one inning with the two extra-base hits was her downfall. It would be interesting to know if any physical changes were made. The commentator made reference to working faster, but that may have just been an example of a way to improve performance. She did throw a number of changes in the first inning, all that I was able to watch.

All three of the Shocker hits (Butters, Kaylee, and Neleigh) are mentioned above.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; April 10, 2019, 09:39 PM. Reason: end of game explanation

Comment

Working...
              X