Shocker SB v Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Oklahoma State

The Shockers complete this season's home-and-home against Oklahoma State with a single game at home on Wednesday at 6pm.

The Cowgirls are currently #21/16 in the two polls. Their record is now 23-9. Since these two teams last played, Oklahoma State traveled to Oregon where they took all three games from the #24 Ducks. They lost two games to RV Ole Miss, again on the road. They also won a single game from Memphis and lost a single game to Tulsa among other games.

The primary pitchers for Oklahoma State in order of innings pitched are Samantha Show (ERA of 2.19 and WHIP of 1.16), Samantha Clakley (2.32 and 1.49) and Logan Simunek (4.07 and 1.56). The offense is led by Madi Sue Montgomery (OPS of 1.079 and four homers), Show (1.043 and eight homers), Michaela Richbourg (1.011 and seven homers) and Rylee Bayless (1.010). As a team, the Cowgirls have 44 homers versus 14 for their opponents.

The Shockers have just two players with an OPS above 1.000: Butters (1.189 and six homers) and Neleigh (1.001). Also in order of innings pitched, the pitchers for the Shocks are Erin (3.45 and 1.22), Caitlin (2.65 and 1.39) and Hailey (2.18 and 1.11).

Ryleigh has begun to hit better. The offense needs Bailee and especially Laurie to get back on the beam. This team is going to need a lot of offense. I will note that I think it can be especially hard for a graduating senior playing any spring sport with their having to get everything in place for the next steps of the lives. I can immediately think of another all-conference Shocker, a four-year starter, whose worst season was their senior year.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 26, 2019, 12:43 PM.

I can't stay for hardly any of this, but here is the starting lineup for the Shockers.

3b Sydney
    cf Asea
    c Butters
    1b Ryleigh
    ss Laurie
    rf Bailee
    dp Neleigh
    2b Kaylee
    lf Wylie
    p Caitlin

The starter for the Cowgirls is Gabby Sprang, their fourth pitcher. Her ERA is 3.15 and WHIP is 1.81 in 26.2 innings. With those numbers yet a record of 4-0, they probably came against weaker teams on their schedule. Oops, one of her wins was in relief against the Shocks when Oklahoma State used three different pitchers for a few innings each.

Comment

In the top of the first, Caitlin issued a leadoff walk but then induced a 6-4-3 DP. Butters two-out walk led to nothing for the Shocks.

In the second, Oklahoma State threatens with a leadoff walk, ground out and infield single, but Caitlin gets a fly out to end the top half.

The Shockers start the bottom half of the second with a single by Laurie and a walk to Bailee. Neleigh then drives them home with a triple and scores herself on Kaylee's single. After a force out, a single by Sydney and walk to Butters load the bases. A wild pitch bring Wylie home and a pitching change for the Cowgirls. Logan Simunek is in the circle. She hits Ryleigh to reload the bases. After Laurie's out, the Shocks lead 4-0 after two.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; March 27, 2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Laurie really had some good pitches to hit in her at bat in the 2nd with the bases loaded. Thought that was a disappointing at bat for her. I think the Shocks may look back and wish they had cashed in there.

Looks like OSU may be pitching around Butters.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 27, 2019, 07:00 PM.

Shocks fall 9-6. Lauren Mills pitched a bit. Not sure winning this game was the top priority but not sure what was accomplished.

Comment

This game is a prime example of the situation the Shockers find themselves in - can they score enough runs to overcome their pitching woes? Here, the answer was No, but you would hope that six runs will win a lot of games.

I saw Lauren pitch some at the 5A State Tournament held at Maize HS last May. She was the #2 pitcher for her high school team and was not particularly effective in the outing I saw. But you have to try something. The Shockers may be at the point to try the approach that Oklahoma State uses - get two or three innings from several pitchers.

Right now the pitching staff is made up of a #3, two #4s (counting Lauren) and I have no idea how to describe Caitlin - a #2 that morphs into a #4 at some point in a game?

Big weekend coming up.

Comment

FWIW, Bailey Klitzke has pitched only 10% of the innings at New Mexico, being a DP for the most part it appears. Her ERA is 15.50 and her WHIP is 3.33. Her OPS is a nice .950.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if that might be Caitlyn's future if she can't get things figured out in the circle. Not necessarily elsewhere but perhaps as a Shocker. That said I still have hope that Caitlyn will find her way although the Shocks might want to find her a pitching doctor in the off-season to see if they can do anything to help her. Perhaps someone different might see something that the Shocker staff is missing.
        Working...
        X