Haleigh Named Pre Season All Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haleigh Named Pre Season All Conference

Wichita State University senior Haleigh Lankster was named to the CollegeSportsMadness.com pre-season All-Missouri Valley Conference first team.

History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it - Sir Winston Churchill

I would expect that Haleigh will also be on the official MVC preseason All-Conference 1st team to be released by the MVC. I thought Haleigh was one of the Top 3 players in the league over the last 7 to 8 games of last season along with Jacqui Kalin of UNI and Casey Garrison of MSU.

I read on another site that someone said that with Jacqui Kalin out this year that Casey Garrison would be this year's POY but Carli Tritz of Creighton could challenge her for that honor. If Haleigh can carry over her play from the end of last year she will be right in there for consideration of POY.

The key for Haleigh is to avoid foul trouble that has plagued her in the past with the high-risk fouls she has been prone to pick-up early in games. Obviously we need Haleigh on the court as much as possible.

If this team does become a "record-setting" team they will have earned it as I think we have our toughest non-conference schedule in long-time. Three things Shocker WBB teams have never done are 1) Win an MVC Regular Season Championship, 2) Win an MVC Tournament Championship and 3) Earn an invitation to the NCAA Tournament. These are the goals we need to achieve to become relevant as a program.

Comment

Haleigh has already shown that she can avoid foul trouble with last year's performance.

Class Minutes Per Game
      Fouls Per 40 Minutes Foul Outs
      Freshman 21.6 4.75 4
      Sophomore 27.6 4.66 6
      Junior 29.4 3.49 2

Obviously she needs to replicate that her senior season, but she is certainly shown dramatic improvement and the results of what a difference it makes to have her on the floor instead of on the bench in foul trouble were obvious last year.

I don't see how anyone could watch what she did last year, especially down the stretch and in the MVC tournament and not consider her a frontrunner for POY.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Fouls per 40 minutes don't tell the whole story. If you pick your fouls up early as she has done frequently in the past it limits your minutes. In looking at last year she averaged 34.4 MPG over her last 7 MVC games in which she average 18 PPG. In all of her remaining games she averaged 28 MPG and 12 points. So what she needs to replicate is her late season play. Her play over the first 24 games last year will not win POY honors.

Of course, her good play over those last 7 games is not just due to staying on the court. You still have to play well when you are on the court and she certainly played aggressively and with confidence over that stretch run.

I did not include the NIT game vs KU in the stretch run numbers because Haleigh left the game with 16 minutes to go with an injury and did not return and only played 22 minutes (18 in the first half). She did have 13 point and 4 rebounds and no fouls in her 22 minutes in that game.

Her production over her last 8 games were POY type of numbers.

Comment

Fouls per 40 are not everything, but considering that she averaged more minutes and had a third the number of foul-outs as her sophomore year, I think it is telling in this case.

You are right, however, that it was last part of the season that she really turned it on. Absolutely POY caliber stuff over that stretch.

I should also note that I'm high on Krystal Henderson taking over at point guard, which I think will help Haleigh in her POY quest as well for two reasons:

1. If Krystal can run the offense the way I think she can with penetration and lay-offs to our bigs, defenses will have a hard time focusing as much on Haleigh.

2. It allows Jessie to focus on being more of a scorer than a distributor, which I think is more her natural role. This has the potential to make us more potent at SG, which puts more pressure on perimeter defenders in deciding who to defend and how.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I agree regarding Haleigh and her foul issues however part of that comes with the territory when one is also one of the leagues top defenders. Tenacious defenders have to take chances and it takes experience in the league to know when and how to take those chances. As you mentioned, during the last 7 or 8 games of last season she seemed to learn those lessons and become more balanced on both ends of the floor.
            My hope is that this squad settle into their roles early and establish consistent play early in the year rather than later.
            Krystal should be huge asset at pg but I dont know if we can expect greatness early on. Its a tough position to master under HCJA who understandingly wants a traditional pg for this squad but also one that can knock down shots when open.

Im also hearing real good things about Kelsey..and its the kinda stuff that makes an old "inside" player like me light up.
            Nice footwork, nice touch around the basket and the heart of a lion. She could be the real sleeper in this league if she stays healthy.

Comment

I agree that if Krystle can effectively step into the point guard duties that could help Jessica and perhaps Haleigh, although not sure Haleigh can play at a much higher level than she did at the end of last year. Didn't Jessica have some arthroscopic surgery or something on her left shoulder after last season. I know she wore a brace or some kind of protective sleeve on her left shoulder last year although I don't know how much, if any, that shoulder really bothered her. Jessica certainly has the capability of filling it up when she is on and she can get her shot away just about anytime she wants in a one-on-one situation.

I wonder if Jessica will be the primary backup for Krystle at point or perhaps Juco transfer Jasmine Jones might be able to handle that duty allowing Jessica to focus totally on a SG role.

Comment

Hoopzdad what if anything are your hearing about the two freshman Alex Harden and Molly O'Brien. Will they be in the mix at all this year or will one or both be considered for redshirts. Based on their high school profiles both would appear to be strong all-around athletes.

Also, I'm assuming by your avatar that we maybe have the honor of having Haleigh's Dad on our women's forum. Either way good to have you aboard. Although from time to time things on message boards can tend to be a little (or maybe a lot) critical of the players.

Comment

My hope is that this squad settle into their roles early and establish consistent play early in the year rather than later.
                  Yes, we were pretty unsettled for the 1st half of last year especially at the point. I thought Jessica really improved greatly in her point guard play as the season progressed.

Krystal should be huge asset at pg but I dont know if we can expect greatness early on. Its a tough position to master under HCJA who understandingly wants a traditional pg for this squad but also one that can knock down shots when open.
                  Even if we have to go with Jessica as the starting point guard in order to groom Krystle for a year that is not a disaster. Jessica was playing a pretty solid point by the end of last year. Also I have no idea whether or not Jasmine Jones is capable of giving us significant, effective minutes at the point. First year of D-1 ball for both Krystle and Jasmine.

Im also hearing real good things about Kelsey..and its the kinda stuff that makes an old "inside" player like me light up. Nice footwork, nice touch around the basket and the heart of a lion. She could be the real sleeper in this league if she stays healthy.
                  Really glad to hear that. Kesley is a delightful young lady off the court. I would love to see her do well and stay injury free.

Comment

Thanks '72Shocker, yes Haleigh is my girl. I have read this forum faithfully for the past two years and cant think of very many times when the criticism wasnt warranted. There was one time when someone referred to Haleigh's fouls as "boneheaded" and I actually laughed out loud because thats how I described them :)

I certainly hope forum contributors wont hold back on criticism on my account. I love reading all opinions and only draw the line on personal attacks, none of which ive ever seen here.
                    Also, there will at times be information of a sensitive nature that I may have knowledge about but not be able to share. I hope everyone understands this.

As for Alex and Molly, while I dont think either is in the redshirt category, it may be a while before they live up to their recruited potential. Alex is learning the importance of good footwork at this level but does show a willingness to learn. Like most WSU freshmen, the biggest adjustments are the speed of the game here and becoming...ummmm.....acclimated to HCJA's coaching style. These are big adjustments for any freshman and my hope is they can come along quickly to add to our depth.

Thanks for welcoming me to your forum. I look forward to a great year with my new buds.

See ya in the stands....and in the forums.

Comment

Why is no one talking about Darice,She is on the team right?!! Im pretty sure she will end up being leading scorer.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                        Why is no one talking about Darice,She is on the team right?!! Im pretty sure she will end up being leading scorer.
                        Yes Darice is on the team and it is nice to have a talented Wichita product on the squad. However, she will find it hard to lead the team in scoring while sitting out a year under NCAA transfer rules.

Comment

ok thanx, i guess that helps them for next year then. with the addition of decker comin in also,i like how there isn't anything on who the women are recruiting either. there is talent in the city plus the womens team will have needs in the post,it will show against lsu. but i see them handling virginia, and k state.

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                            ok thanx, i guess that helps them for next year then. with the addition of decker comin in also,i like how there isn't anything on who the women are recruiting either. there is talent in the city plus the womens team will have needs in the post,it will show against lsu. but i see them handling virginia, and k state.
                            Whose Decker?

K-State on the road will be a real challenge. I'm sure K-State will be favored in that game.

I am as sure they will not handle Virginia this year as I am sure Darice Fountaine will not lead the team in scoring this year. Darice will not play as TMH pointed out and Virginia is not on the schedule. Perhaps you are thinking of the Arizona game in Tucson.

Comment

allie decker who is a 3 star on espn recruit rank,a 2012 product for the wsu womens team. an the k state game they will destroy k state because the lady cats lost alot of the supporting cast plus no leaders there,alot of sophs.An thank u for the corection....Arizona,i believe wsu is too versatile in the post and guard heavy as well. They will cause some problems,LSU will be the TEST...outside of them naw,dont be surprised if they are top 3 in the valley and or win the mvc tourney,and for the record darice will be the go to,best player,and leading scorer on the team when she is able to play

Comment

Working...
                              X