Shocker SB v Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Houston

The Shockers open their AAC season with a three-game set against the Cougars of Houston. There are single games scheduled on Friday (6pm), Saturday (3pm) and Sunday (noon). With thunderstorms predicted for Saturday, there may be changes, possibly prescribed by some conference protocol.

Houston has a record of 21-8 with a record of 4-2 against teams RV or better. Common opponents are Oklahoma State (0-1 Coogs v 0-1 Shocks), Texas State (2-0 v 1-0), Texas Southern (1-0 v 2-0) and DePaul (1-1 v 1-0). Houston has an RPI of 42 v 73 for the Shockers.

The leading hitters for the Cougars are Lindsey Stewart (OPS of 1.062) and Arielle James (1.009). No one has more then two homers on the season. Savannah Heebner has just over 40% of the innings. Her ERA is 1.37 with a WHIP of 1.00. Presley Bell (0.46 and 0.80) has about 25% of the innings with Trystan Melancon (1.55 and 1.00) having about 20% of the innings. This appears to be a nice, solid staff.

Butters (1.158 and five homers) leads the hitters for the Shocks. With nice offensive games on Wednesday, Asea (1.010) and Neleigh (1.000) have reached the 1.000 mark with their OPS. Laurie did not have a nice offensive game on Wednesday.

Where are the Shockers pitching wise? Who knows - here are the numbers: Erin (3.40 and 1.15), Caitlin (2.34 and 1.33) and Hailey (1.54 and 1.13).

This will be another curious weekend to see where the Shocks are.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 21, 2019, 04:10 PM.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
    Where are the Shockers pitching wise? Who knows - here are the numbers: Erin (3.40 and 1.15), Caitlin (2.34 and 1.33) and Hailey (1.54 and 1.13).

This will be another curious weekend to see where the Shocks are.
    My thoughts exactly and I fear wondering what we are going to get from Shocker pitching from game-to-game and week-to-week is something we will probably be with us throughout the season.

Houston would certainly seem to have the edge from a pitching perspective. A series win by the Shocks would be an excellent start to conference play but the probability of that happening are maybe 40-60 at best.

Comment

Just got back in town from a day trip. I see the Shocks run-ruled Houston 13-5. I assume flyingMoose was at the came so I will let him provide a detailed report..

A couple of observations. After leading 13-0 after 4 the Shocks gave up 5 spot to Houston in the 5th and then needed to score a run in the bottom of the 5th to close out the game which they did scoring on 4 walks.

Also Kaylee Huecker hit a 3-run home run which I think was her 1st dinger as a Shocker.

They probably needed to play 2 today.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 22, 2019, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        I assume flyingMoose was at the came so I will let him provide a detailed report..
        I am just got back [930pm] from out of town myself. I hope to make tomorrow afternoon's game, but I am also committed Sunday afternoon, so I can't make that game in any fashion.

A quick review of the boxscore says that eleven hits, six walks, three errors by Houston and a passed ball in there I think will generate a lot of runs.

Caitlin had her only two walks in the fifth to contribute to her exit - that an error and passed ball. She did get a lot of ground outs - eleven of her twelve outs.
        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 22, 2019, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Sure wasn't expecting the Shocks to put up 13 runs on this Houston pitching staff especially with Savannah Heebner, who as a 2nd team All-American last year, and her 1.37 ERA and 1.00 WHIP getting the start. Presley Bell with a 0.46 ERA and a 0.80 WHIP in much fewer innings gets the start for Houston today. Erin McDonald will start in the circle for the Shocks.

Houston jumps out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the 1st on a double, an error by Ryleigh Buck at 1st, a passed ball and a single.

Sidney McKinney leads off with in an infield single to start the Shocker 1st but Asea Webber grounded into a 6-4-3 double play on the 1st ptich she saw. Laurie then ground out to end the Shocker at bat.

Nebraska uses a 1 out single and a 2 out double to extend their lead to 3-0 in the top of the 3rd. Shocks have done very little in their first 3 at bats.

After doing next to nothing in their 1st 3 at bats with the Nebraska pitcher facing over 1 over the minimum the Shockers fared much better with their 2nd look at the Nebraska starter in the 4th inning. Asea got it started with a single center. Laurie Derric0 followed with a double to center putting runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Butters Perrigan single down the right field line scoring Asea and moving Laurie to 3rd. Bailee Nickerson reached on an error by the 2nd baseman but Butters was out at 2nd base short to 2nd. Not sure how that transpired exactly. Laurie did score on the play. Ryleigh Buck then followed with a 2-run home run to left to give the Shockers a 4-3 lead. Neleigh Herring was hit by a pitch and Kaylee Huecker walked but Wylie Glover and Sidney both grounded out to end the at bat.

The Shocks take a 4-3 lead into the 7th but Erin is unable to hold the lead. In the top of the 7th a one out walk followed by a double to right field put Houston runners on 2nd and 3rd. A grounder to 2nd and throw to home cut down the Houston runner on 3rd trying to score for the 2nd out. A 4-pitch walk loaded the bases for Houstion with 2 outs. A pinch hit single to center drove in 2 runs as Houston takes a 5-4 lead. A strike out ends the at bat but 1 batter too late.

Shocks need another late inning rally. Not to be. The Shocks go quietly in the last at bat and Houston evens the series at 1-1 with a 5-4 win. It was their for the taking for the Shocks but they just couldn't get that last out in the top of the 7th.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 23, 2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

This is a game that could have been won with tighter defense.

First, the unearned run in the first inning when Ryleigh drops the throw from Laurie.

(Not connected with any run, but) In the third, a popup is head to Sydney she has to drift a bit to make the catch, but she does ... and 2B Kalyee is about three steps from the circle. If Sydney drops the ball, the batter could have crawled into second base because nobody is covering. HCKB comes out of the dugout and barks at Kaylee about it.

In the same inning, a ball is hit over Wylie's head for a double despite HCKB having signaled to back up. Wylie picks the ball up and promptly throws it over the head of Laurie, the cutoff. The ball eventually rolls to the plate where there is no play. If Wylie hits the cutoff, the Shocks have a pretty simple out at the plate. After this half-inning, HCKB calls an all-hands meeting down the right field line and chews on them about the defense.

Tighter defense and Houston scores two fewer runs.

Some of the good defense: Laurie made a nice short-hop of a bouncing ball she charged to get an out in the fourth. In the seventh, the "grounder to 2nd" is a sharply hit bouncer where Kayleee makes a back-hand stop and follows with a strong, accurate throw to the plate where Butters tags out a speedy runner. Really an amazing play by Kaylee - it was a shock that even tried to make the play, much less that she was successful.

The four-pitch walks that Erin issued to Queen in the fifth and seventh innings were both intentional. The one in the seventh did not work as it loaded the bases and allowed a Cougar pinch-hitter to fist a ball over Laurie and in front of Asea to score the tying and lead runs. I don't know if HCKB was trying to avoid Queen or if she thought they had a great book on Thomas, the next scheduled batter.

The Shocks only had three hits outside the fourth inning. Ryleigh hit a bomb in the fourth that cleared the scoreboard.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; March 23, 2019, 06:36 PM.

Comment

On Sunday Houston run-ruled the Shocks 8-0 on 5 innings. I feared something like this might happen after letting the Saturday game get away.

Shocks should have won this series.

Comment

Game Three

Houston 8-0(5) Shockers

Caitlin gets the start and gives up three runs (two earned) on a hit and four walks in one inning. After a walk issued by Caitlin to leadoff the second, Hailey comes on and gives up four runs including a three-run homer in the fourth in her three innings. Erin gives up a run in the fifth to set up the runs-ahead win for Houston.

The Shocks only managed two hits.

For the weekend, the Shockers had one game and one inning and still almost came out of the series with two wins - but they didn't.

The leadership of this team is about to be tested. They do not have a vocal leader like Mackenzie. The high expectations for the season with Bailey returning in the circle quickly disappeared. They need some way to rally around each other.

Curious (to me) note: I recognized yesterday the one umpire from OK, but not the other two. One is from OR and the other is from IA.
                Last edited by flyingMoose; March 24, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Other Conference Series

Tulsa 2-1 USF

ECU 1-2 Memphis

UConn 0-3 UCF

Comment

I think the rest of the season will prove to be a tough row to hoe for the Shocks. Unfortuantely, Caitlyn seems to have established that she is not reliable. She is certainly the proverbial box of chocolates. You just don't know what you are going to get. Erin can be good but can't carry a team like a Katie Malone or Bailey Lange were able to do. Hailey at times gets hit very hard.

The offense at times is very good. Just not sure they are good enough to carry this pitching staff. My expectations for the rest of the year are for the Shocks to play a round 0.500 ball.

Comment

• flyingMoose
                      flyingMoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Next weekend against UConn, the perennial doormat of AAC softball (sorry, our Huskies friend), will be telling.

• 1972Shocker
                      1972Shocker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not sure that provides the kind of measuring stick to tell us anything good. It does have the potential to tell us something not so good.

• flyingMoose
                      flyingMoose commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Agreed. Kinda what I was trying to say, but the subtlety of my words would be lost on most folks. :)

Ryleigh Buck Named to Weekly Honor Roll

Comment

Working...
                    X