No announcement yet.

Shocker SB v Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't see a lot of no hitters. Even in softball. Especially when you give up 2 in the 1st. Well done ladies.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't see a lot of no-hitters when only 2 of the 21 outs are on strike-outs. That's 18 balls that found the Shocker defense and one walk erased on the front end of the game ending 1-4-3 double play.

I thought Erin may have been tiring a bit towards the end of the game as the only baserunners she allowed were the 2-out walk in the 6th and the 1 out walk in the 7th in front of the double play.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 10, 2019, 04:25 PM.

Game Three

Erin has the start. A one-out triple and two-out single scores a Husker run. We may see how much stamina Erin has built up. She was losing her control some as Game Two was ending.

Mergele has the start for Nebraska.

Laurie walks with one out and Bailee is hit by a pitch with two, but the Shocks don't score.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 10, 2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree and mentioned above that I thought Erin might be getting a bit tired late in the game. Really surprised to see them rolling her back out in Game 3 of the series.

• flyingMoose
      flyingMoose commented
      Editing a comment
      It may be that they are willing to take an Erin-Hailey loss if they have to in order to have some time to get Caitlin straightened out before they "lose" her for the rest of the year.

• 1972Shocker
      1972Shocker commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe, perhaps Caitlyn looked bad in her bullpen work during the 1st game. It would be good to get Hailey some work if they are not going to be able to rely on Caitlyn.

In the second, a two-out Husker triple does not score. The Shockers load the bases on a single by Ryleigh, a sac bunt by Adi, a single by Kaylee and a walk to Sydney. Wylie's walk forces in a run, but neither Laurie nor Butters can push another across. 1-1 after two.

A walk and homer to lead off the Nebraska third gives the Huskers a 3-1 lead. Caitlin is on in relief and begins with a strikeout - but then a walk follows. However, Butters cuts her down on a steal attempt, and a fly out ends the half-inning.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; March 10, 2019, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Shocks get it tied on two singles followed by two walks. But the had the bases loaded and 1 out with Laurie and Butters due up but they were unable to cash in.

But the tie did not last long a Nebraska walk and home run to open the 3rd inning makes it 3-1 Huskers.

That's it for Erin and Caitlyn is on in relief.

Comment

Not sure I quite understand Adi Reese in the DH spot.

Comment

• flyingMoose
          flyingMoose commented
          Editing a comment
          Just see what she can do in place of Neleigh I think.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; March 10, 2019, 07:05 PM.

In the Husker fourth, walk, sac bunt, wild pitch, another walk and Hailey is in. A squeeze bunt scores a run, but a DP ends the half-inning. Nebraska 4-1 in the middle of the foutrth.

Another activity calls - have to check the rally out when I get home.

Comment

The Shocks pick up 2 runs in the bottom of the 4th. Kaylee lead of with single down the left field line. Sidney McKinney lined out to third who threw wildly to first trying to double up Kaylee and Kaylee advanced to 2nd. Wylie walked to put runners at 1st and 2nd. Laurie grounded to short who tried to force Kaylee at 3rd but threw wildly to 3rd allowing Kaylle to score and Wylie to advance to 3rd. Madison delivered Wylie to the plate with a deep fly to left.

In the top of the 5th Nebraska got a lead off single but a 6-4-3 double play erased that and a line drive to Laurie at short ended the at bat.

The Shocks go in order in the bottom of the 5th.

Nebraska extends their their lead to 5-3 with a 2-out solo home run in the 6th.

Sidney McKinney threatens the left field wall to lead off the Shocker 6th but the Nebraksa left fielder is able to run it down for out #1. Wylie Glover follows with a bunt single. Laurie walks to put runners at 1st and 3rd and Butters is at the plate. Butters walks to load the bases with Bailee coming up. This might be the ball game right here. Bailee took a strike right down the middle of the plate on a 3-1 count and then struck out on a check swing on a ball in in the dirt. Now it is up to Asea. Asea has struggled this weekend and sends a towering fly ball to right field that the right fielder watched sail over the fence for a grand slam home run. Shocks lead 7-5. Now can our pitching make that stand up.

The Shockers bring in Erin to try to finish off the game. The only thing about this is Nebraska has seen a ton of pitches from Erin this weekend.

Usually a player who makes a great fielding play leads off the next inning. Just the opposite in this game. Erin gives up a line drive to right center that Asea runs down with a diving catch to save a double or triple to lead off the 7th. A grounder to short is handled by Laurie for out #2. Erin goes to a 2-1 count and the batter hit a long ball down the left field lien that just went foul as it cleared the fence. The count goes to 3-2 and the next pitch is ball 4 that brings the tying run to the plate. A grounder to Laurie who tosses to Kaylee for the force at 2nd does the trick as the Shocks break out the brooms.

Asea Webber clearly the player of the game.

Kudos to flyingMoose for calling the rally.

Final Line Score:
          Huskers....5-7-2-5
          Shockrs....7-5-0-8

Shocker pitchers walked 6 but Husker pitchers walked 8 and hit a batter to go along with their 2 errors. 2 of the walks were on base when Asea hit her game winning grand slam.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 10, 2019, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Quite the sweep, particularly given injury and shakes on the bump. Do you both feel the roster is indeed this deep or may Nebraska not be a strong as thought?

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Hmm. The Huskers may not be as strong as I thought, but then I never thought they were that strong to begin with. You have to provide your own translation of that.

I think there is some, "We have been down this road. We can do this." happening here. The newer ones playing off the confidence of the seasoned ones.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; March 10, 2019, 07:18 PM.

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I am not sure how strong Nebraska is or will be. I think they are better than a good majority of the teams we have faced so far. So I think it was a decent test for the Shocks at this point. Keep in mind that Nebraska has had 3 practices outdoor this spring and they actually came down to Wichita for that. Granted they had 16 games in mostly warmer climes coming into this series against a decent schedule. But to get this done with Bailey on the shelf and Caitlyn on the fritz was pretty good stuff. Nevertheless, I think it is very important that we get Caitlyn back to pitching well.

With Nebraska only having 3 outdoor practices 19 games into the season (and they had to travel to Wichita to get those) makes me wonder why they don't think about pushing the college softball season back. Instead of February through May perhap mid-March through mid-July. Softball seems like the ideal sport to do this. Unlike baseball there are, as far as I know, no summer leagues for collegiate softball players to play in. Maybe that has changed, but I haven't heard about it if it has. Many moons ago when my daughters were playing softball the ASA tried a 19&Under league for one summer to give college freshman a place to play but for whatever reason they dropped the idea after 1 year. Mostly I just don't care for cold weather baseball and softball and clearly cold-weather locations are clearly at a disadvantage IMHO.

Comment

• ShockTalk
              ShockTalk commented
              Editing a comment
              Even just pushing it forward a couple of weeks would have cold weather teams playing at home (or further north teams) by the last half of March instead of the beginning of March after spending the first 30 days or so at tournaments. Those two weeks could make a big difference.

Comment

Sully's RH article on Sunday's wins

Comment

Working...
              X