No announcement yet.

2018-19 Shocker Women's Golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Shockers find themselves in 9th place, ahead of only Tulsa, after Round 2 of the 2019 AAC Women's Golf Championships. The Shocks shot a 15-over 303 in Round 2 which is quite a bit better than they shot last year but looks like all the other teams are better as well.

Sr. Gavrilla Arya is tied for 12th place at 72-75 = 147 and fellow Sr. Laine Evans is tied for 15th at 76-73 = 149. Fr. Hana Mirnik is in the middle of the pack tied for 24th at 77-75 = 152. Unfortunately, the Shocks #4 and #5 players are at the bottom of the individual leaderboard at 160 and 165.

As I mentioned coming into the tournament I wasn't sure the Shocks had the depth to make much noise in this tournament. However, the 3 teams in from of them are all tied at +26 which is only 3 shots ahead of the Shocks. So 6th place is a possibility with a good day in the final round tomorrow.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 16, 2019, 01:37 PM.

Comment

The Lady Shocks shot their second consecutive 15-over 303 in the final round of the AAC Championship. They did pass Cincinnati, one of the 3 teams that was 3 strokes ahead of them starting round 2, but Tulsa, the only team behind the Shocks rocketed ahead of them with a 1-under round leaving the Shocks in a 9th place finish.

I suppose the Shocks were indeed consistent shooting 302-303-303 for a 44-over par 908 but that's 13th shots behind 7th place Tulsa and 57 shots behind Houston who ran away with the tournament finishing 30 shots clear of 2nd place UCF. The top 7 teams all shot there best rounds in Round 3. The Shocks could not keep pace.

The two Shocker seniors played reasonably well with Laine Evans shooting 76-73-72 = 221 which tied for 12th individually and Gavrilla Arya shot 72-75-75 = 222 good for a tie for 14th individually. Freshman Hana Mirnik finished 77-75-75 for a 227 which was 29th best in the 50-player field and Anna Chickering and Chiara Arya tied for last in the field each shooting 246. The lack of depth at the those last two spots no doubt hurt the Shocks.

With Laine and Gavrilla completing their eligibility looks like Coach McCurdy will be facing a major rebuild next year with only one player (Hana Mirnik) returning who is capable of competing at a middle of the pack level in the AAC. Not sure what the status of Jr. Michelle Ledermann, whose 2019 stroke average was just slightly higher than Hana's. Things looking very challenging for Lady Shockers golf for at least a couple of years. One thing about it their is an opportunity for the 3 incoming freshman (see above) to get substantial playing time right off the bat.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...team&tid=17898
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 16, 2019, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Nice Sully article on former Shocker Taryn Torgerson as she embarks on a very youthful start to her golf coaching career at Newman University (who is now a member of the MIAA)::

"I couldn't have written a story-book ending any better than that. I wanted to get the best I could out of my four years. I think I got every bit of it."

Her big moment – Torgerson capped her career as a Shocker by winning American Athletic Conference medalist honors in a playoff in 2018. She shot a course-record 8-under-par 64 on the final round at Hammock Beach Resort in Palm Coast Florida.

"I couldn't have written a story-book ending any better than that," she said. "I wanted to get the best I could out of my four years. I think I got every bit of it."

Torgerson also won the 2016 Missouri Valley Conference individual title. She earned All-MVC honors twice, in addition to All-AAC honors in 2018.

"I was under-recruited, and really not recruited at all," she said. "Coach McCurdy took a chance on me and believed in me. I put in the work. He helped me get to that point."

Comment

Working...
        X