No announcement yet.

2018 NCAA Softball Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the sixth, Paige singled and her pinch runner, Cassidy, advanced to second on a sac bunt by Morgan. Bailey doubled home Cassidy.

8-2 as we go to the bottom of the sixth.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      I love the lead, but the Shockers have left 13 runners stranded in these last five innings (do the math on that one). Is that maybe a bit more common since it is harder to score runners? I would guess that due to the smaller playing field, a base hit doesn't necessarily score two and that an extra base hit wouldn't necessarily clear the bases like you would see in baseball.
      It is more common that runners not advance the number of bases associated with baseball, but 13 is a big LOB nonetheless.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
        1972Shocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. It is a bit more station-to-station and balls in the gap are reached by the outfielders much more quickly but year, 13 is a big number. On the ohter hand it is not that common to get that many runners on base in order to leave them on. The key here was we just could not get the big 2-out hit a couple of times with the bases juiced. If we had this game would be over unless they don't have mercy rule in the NCAA Tournament.

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        The mercy rule is still used. It has come into play in at least one of the other Regionals.

Three up, three down for the Cowgirls, and we go to the seventh.

Comment

Houston is underway against Louisiana at the Baton Rouge Regional, and Tulsa is underway at the Norman Regional against Missouri.

Comment

And now to the bottom of the seventh.

Three up, three down.

Shockers 8-2 Oklahoma State

Bailey gives up four hits, three walks and has three strikeouts.

Ryleigh has three hits including a double, and Laurie, Madison and Paige all have two singles. Mackenzie and Bailey each have a double. Ryleigh and Paige have multiple RBI with two. The Shocks had a total of thirteen hits.
          Last edited by flyingMoose; May 18, 2018, 03:54 PM.

Comment

BaileyL seemed to get better as the game progressed. Only 2 hits over the final 6 innings.

Coming into this season the Shocks were 8-79 all-time against the OSU Cowgirls. I wonder what kind of odds you could have gotten for a bet that the Shocks would beat them 3 times this year.

Comment

• flyingMoose
              flyingMoose commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing against the Shockers and their three wins over the Cowgirls, but the Big 12 this year is Oklahoma and no other team that is of the caliber of some of the Big 12 teams of previous years. I think.

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              Apparently not, but I still think you would have gotten some pretty long odds.

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            Video analysis run amok?
            Or maybe not. I have to HCTB and ACEE some credit. Kudos to PCRS for apparently putting toghether a good plan of attack for Bailey as well. And, of course, none of that makes much difference if the players don't exist and that they did.

Comment

Great win!

Comment

Do you bring Bailey to start tomorrow's game (now this possibility is yugely different than baseball)? I think I would but we'll see. It worked well for Tulsa in the AAC Tournament.

Comment

Comment

This is the way you lock up a long-armed hitter who crowds the plate.

Final out of the game:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      Do you bring Bailey to start tomorrow's game (now this possibility is yugely different than baseball)? I think I would but we'll see. It worked well for Tulsa in the AAC Tournament.
                      I think you have no choice but to start Bailey. There is no reason to think anyone else has even the faintest chance of getting a win - well, maybe a 15-13 win.

Mary Haff is pitching the game against DePaul, so Autumn Storms would be the presumed starter tomorrow against the Shockers, assuming a Razorback win.

Comment

Norman Regional

Tulsa 9-1(5) Missouri

A grand slam in the fourth capped the scoring for the Hurricane. Watson gave up four hits and struck out three.

Gainesville Regional

USF 1-3 Ohio State

A three-run pinch double in the sixth is too much for the Bulls to overcome although they score a run in the seventh. They had only two hits.
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; May 18, 2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Fayetteville Regional

DePaul 0-2 Arkansas

Haff pitches a complete game, two-hit shutout.

The Razorbacks play the Shockers at 130pm Saturday.

Comment

Eugene Regional

Drake 0-5 Oregon

Megan Kleist of the Ducks comes within one out of a perfect game before giving up a single and hit batter. Kleist is the Pac 10 Pitcher of the Year.

Comment

Working...
                            X