Shocker SB v 24/19 Oklahoma State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v 24/19 Oklahoma State

The Shockers host the Cowgirls on Wednesday with a 6pm start time. This is the return engagement of their home-and-home series.

Oklahoma State have a record of 32-12 overall and 10-2 in the Big 12. They are ranked 24th in the Coaches’ Poll and 19th in the ESPN poll. They swept #16 Baylor this past weekend.

The Cowgirl offense continues to be led by Vanessa Shippy who has an OPS of 1.342 and Madi Sue Montgomery at 1.217 with twelve homers. Taylor Lynch is above .900 at .975. Shippy has been Player of the Week for the Big 12 three times.

The primary starters for Oklahoma State are Emmie Robertson, the reigning Big 12 Pitcher of the Week, who has an ERA of 2.02 and WHIP of 1.07, and Samantha Clakley whose numbers are 2.26 and 1.29. Logan Simunek, the reliever of the staff, has numbers of 1.68 and 1.09.

The record for the Shockers is now 23-17.

Laurie has the highest OPS at .995 with a team-leading nine home runs. She is followed by Ryleigh at .930, Mackenzie at .919 and Paige at .907.

Bailey’s ERA has risen to 3.22 with a WHIP of 1.35. Caitlin is at 5.93 and 1.80, while BaileyK is at 3.12 and 1.64.

Shocker Game Notes

Comment

The Shocks are going with Bailey Lange in the circle and OSU is starting Logan Simunek (only her 7th starting assignment in 44 games for OSU).

Good opening 1-2-3 inning for BaileyL including two strikeouts.

Shocks dent the scoreboard in the bottom of the 1st on a Mackenzie double, sac bunt by Asea and a single by Laurie. Shocks up 1-0 after 1.

After a lead off infield hit BaileyL duplicated the previous inning with a fly ball to the outfiled and 2 strike outs.

Paige fouled of 2 full count pitchers before doubling to center to open the Shocker 2nd. Kaylee entered to pinch run for Paige. Bailey sacrifieced Kaylee to 3rd. Madison reached on a fielder's choice with Kaylee holding at 3rd. After Morgan Palmer flied out to left for the 2nd out but on the next pitch Mackenzie delivered a 2-run triple down the RF line to put the Shocks up 3-0. Then on the next pitch Asea homered to center and the Shocks are up 5-0 after 2. (I will try not think of what happened agaisnt that other Oklahoma school).

Bailey hits the lead off batter in the 3rd. Another lead off gift the Shocks have been much too prone to give up lately. A sac bunt and 2 singles scored a run and a fielder's choice that did not produce an out loaded the bases with the OSU clean up hitter up. A fly ball out to left scored the 2nd run and recorded the 2nd out but a walk reloaded the bases. A pop up to 2B ended the inning but looks like the Shocks will need to keep the bats going. I don't think 5 runs will be enough the way we have been ptiching lately. Shocks lead 5-2.

Ryleigh Buck leads of the 3rd and reaches 1st base on some "scoring" I don't think I have ever seen. Said she struck out swinging but reached safely on a fielder's choice. Maybe flyingMoose is at the game an can explain that one later. Anyway Freshman Bailee Nickerson obliged my desire for more runs with a 2-run homer to CF to get the Shocker lead back to 5. OSU goes to the bullpen and brings in Samantha Clakley. Paige then worked a walk in a 10-pitch at bat. Bailey moved Paige to 2nd with a ground out to 1B. Madison grounded out 6-3 with Paige holding at 2nd. Morgan Palmer struck out to end the inning. After 3 complete the Shocks lead 7-2.

A one-out error by Kaylee Huecker opened the door for 2 OSU runs in the 4th. That was followed by a bunt single. A comebacker to Bailey got the 2nd out but moved the runners to 2nd and 3rd and they scored on a 2-out single left to make it 7-4 heading into the bottom of the 4th.

The Shocks got two out singles from Laurie and Ryleigh but Bailee flied out to right to end the inning. On to the 5th.

Bailey got the 1st two OSU hitters in the 5th on ground balls then a walk and an error put runners on the corners before Bailey got a fly ball to CF to end the OSU at bat.

Bailey decides to help herself a bit in the bottom of the 5th with a 1-out solo home run to center, the Shocks 3rd home run of the game all to center field. Bailey's battery mate decides that looked like fun and Madison drove a ball over the right field wall. Shocks regain a 5-run lead at 9-4 after 5 complete.

An infield hit, a single to left and a wild pitch put OSU runners at 2nd and 3rd in the top of the 6th and both socred on a double to make it 9-6. HCKB staying with BaileyL at this point. That proved to be a good decsion as Bailey got a foul pop to Madison, a line drive top Mackenzie at the hot corner and a stirke out to escape any further damage. My suggestion that 5 runs would not be enough proves accurate.

Emmie Robertson comes in to pitch for OSU in the bottom of the 6th. So the Shocks have seen pretty much the whole arsenal from OSU. Robertson sets the Shocks down in order. On to the 7th with the Shocks leading 9-6.

BaileyL still in the circle. Gives up a single to center to open the OSU 7th. Bailey goes to a full count on the next batter but gets a strikeout. On the next batter Bailey decides not to screw around and strikes her out on 3 pitches. A bunt single puts runners at 1st and 2nd and brings the tying run to the plate. A fly ball to RF ends the game. Shocks win 9-6 and they complete the 2-game season sweep of the Cowgirls.

Not exactly a thing of beauty but kudos to the offense in this one. The Shockers pitching and defense still being too charitable.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2018, 11:10 PM.

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope on the scoring. Other commitments and I could not be at the game either physically or electronically. It will interesting to watch on YouTube in, what, a couple of days?

It continues to amaze me that we do so well in the mid-week games against opposition that is better than what we see in the weekend conference games. At least we did not do screwy "this is what the book says to do against superior opposition" things this week.

RPI is 34. Is an at large possible for this group?

Comment

• flyingMoose
        flyingMoose commented
        Editing a comment
        I have never paid any attention to the RPI cutoff for softball, so this is a semi-wild guess. I think they would have to finish second or better in the AAC Tournament to get an at-large, even with their current RPI which is only going to get worse I think. Although Missouri, the last mid-week games, have an RPI of 22, UCF is 56, ECU is 106 and USF is 36. Depending on the results, maybe not too much worse.

goShockers.com game report and highlightst. Nice crowd. 650.

RH: Shockers Rebound With Power Display
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 19, 2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Oklahoma State Replay is available:

Comment

The scoring on Ryleigh's play - about the 55 min mark:

Well again, we get creative scoring from the ground-level bunker. The replay shows a swing and miss by Ryleigh, and the ball glances off the catcher's glove. Ryleigh sees the ball uncaught and sprints to first. Apparently (this part is not visible) the catcher thinks this is a foul ball off Ryleigh's bat and does not make a throw to first (hence the fielder's choice?). Steve and Jamie speak of the OSU coach appealing and the umpires getting together to discuss the play, but the call of swing and miss stood. (We don't see this part as video is showing replays.)

The play should have been scored a Passed Ball.

Comment

On the Ryleigh Buck strike out and safe at 1st on a fielder's choice play in the 3rd what happened was Ryleight struck out, the ball deflected of the heel catcher's glove. The catcher obviously thought the ball had ticked off the bat as she did not make a move to go get the ball. I could not tell if it was fouled or not but it was ruled a swing and a miss.

Comment

Pretty neat marriage proposal surprise for OSU' volunteer assistant Jones from her boyfirend in a Shocker uniform. You can see it at about the 57:40 mark of the game replay above.

Comment

Working...
              X