Shocker SB v Tulsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker SB v Tulsa

The Shockers continue conference play this weekend, hosting Tulsa in single games Friday through Sunday. The scheduled start times are 6pm on Friday, 2pm on Saturday and noon on Sunday.

The Golden Hurricane are a preseason pick for first among the eight schools playing softball in the AAC with their current RPI being fifth among the AAC schools. Their record thus far is 23-14 and is 2-4 against teams that are at least RV in the Coaches’ Poll. Those two wins are a home-and-home sweep of Oklahoma State. Against other teams of interest, Tulsa lost twice to Iowa and once to Missouri State. In conference play they were swept by UCF (0-1, 1-2, 1-2) and then swept Eastern Carolina.

The offense of the Hurricane is led by Shelby Estocado with an OPS of 1.093 and a team-leading six homers, Julia Hollingsworth (1.000) and Haley Meinen (.945).

Emily Watson is the stud on the pitching staff. She has been named the Pitcher of the Week for the AAC three times and is the most recent NFCA Pitcher of the Week. Her ERA is 1.53 with a WHIP of 1.02. The other starter is Samantha Pochop whose numbers are 2.90 and 1.32.

The record for the Shockers is now 21-12.

Laurie at .985 and Paige at .936 have the only OPS above .900 for the Shocks.

Bailey’s ERA is 2.72 with a WHIP of 1.22. BaileyK in her relief role continues to improve her numbers, now at 2.72 and 1.50.

The weenkend schedule has been changed due to forecasted weather conditions.

There wil be a single game on Saturday at 3:00 pm and a DH on Sunday starting at noon.

WICHITA, Kan. - Due to adverse weather conditions predicted on Friday night, the Wichita State softball series vs. Tulsa has been moved to a lone game Saturday at 3:00 p.m. and a doubleheader on Sunday beginning at noon.

Comment

• flyingMoose
      flyingMoose commented
      Editing a comment
      I expected some kind of change eventually.

Very nice article on Ryleigh Buck by Sully.

"She was never able to get the pace of the game," Wichita State coach Kristi Bredbenner said. "She was always coming in from behind. It ultimately led to a lot of frustration. Here's she's got all these people here supporting her, wanting her to do well, and she's struggling."

I have to say I really enjoy seeing some of the kids in our less visible sports getting some attention and I think the creation of the new role for Sully really adds to that.

Comment

• flyingMoose
      flyingMoose commented
      Editing a comment
      Even though Ryleigh struggled last year, she did hit the home run that would have beaten LSU if Katie Malone could make the simple throw to first.

No, I can't forget that game. :)

The times have been changed again. The single game on Saturday is now a 5pm start with the DH on Sunday starting at 2pm.

Comment

Game One

Bailey has the start for the Shockers and Emily Watson for Tulsa.

Well, this is a lovely start. A leadoff bunt single is followed by a home run for the Hurricane. If Emily Watson is really on, Tulsa may already have all the runs they need. Two more singles and a walk load the bases with one out. An infield single (three of the four have been of the infield variety) scores a third run, and a fourth run scores on an error before a third to first DP ends the inning. Tulsa already leads 4-0 with the Shocks coming to bat.

Mackenzie's single is followed by three strikeouts.

In the bottom of the second, Watson runs her strikeout total to six.

In the third, Madison breaks the streak with a flyout to lead off the inning. Mackenzie and Bailee get two-out singles, but Watson runs her strikeout total to eight.

Tulsa still leads 4-0 after three.

In the fourth, a walk, double and RBI single brings BaileyK to the circle with no outs. A pop up turns into a DP (a great catch by Kaylee down the right field line?), but another run scores on the play. Two more strikeouts in the bottom half. The Hurricane lead 6-0 after four.

The Shockers get on the board in the fifth. Asea's leadoff single is followed by a homer by Madison. And there was only one Shocker strikeout this inning - take it where you can get it. 6-2 after five.

After a walk and single, BaileyK almost gets out of the sixth with two flyouts - almost. A double scores two and a single scores the doubler.

Caitlin pinch-hits for BaileyK in the sixth, and Hailey will pitch the seventh for the Shocks, her first appearance since I-don't-know-when. Now 9-2 in favor of Tulsa.

Tulsa get a double and a walk in the seventh but do not score against Hailey. Asea leads off the seventh with a double and scores on two groundouts.

Tulsa 9-3 Shockers

Emily Watson gives up six hits but strikes out eleven while issuing one walk.

Asea has a double and a single, and Mackenzie has two singles. Madison has the other extra-base hit with her home run giving her two RBI.

No effective pitching today for the Shocks.
      Last edited by flyingMoose; April 7, 2018, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Tulsa. 2 batters. 2 runs. Bun single, home run.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
          Game OneNo effective pitching today for the Shocks.
          I suppose this was the fear we had about this team coming into the season. So far they have been able ot piece things together reasonably well. Just didn't happen today. Hopefully, they will be able to bounce back strong tomorrow. If not then those preseason concerns about the pitching may prove to still be valid. Not a lot of room for error when you are facing a quality pitcher like Emily Watson.

Comment

Game Two

Bailey in the circle again for the Shockers with Pochops pitching for Tulsa. Thinking this is the best matchup to get a win this weekend? Thinking we may lose the second game to weather?

Asea moves up to the two-hole with others moving down including Paige below Ryliegh.

Bailey loads the bases with one out in the first by giving up two singles and a hit batter, but escapes with a strikeout and groundout.

In the bottom of the first, Asea is hit by a pitch and comes around on Bailee's two-out, two-run homer. Ryleigh follows with a double, and Paige singles her home to close out the scoring in the first. Shockers lead 3-0.

Madison leads off the second with a homer. A walk to Mackenzie and a double by Asea puts runners in scoring position with one out, but the Shocks cannot score another. 4-0 after two.

Bailey's error and a single get two Hurricane runners on in the third, but Bailey gets a groundout and strikeout to end the inning.

The beat goes on in the bottom of the third. Ryleigh's double and Madison's two-out double scores another. 5-0 after three.

Life is never easy. With two outs in the fourth, Bailey gives up a four-pitch walk and two singles. On an 0-2 pitch, Tulsa gets a double to second base (deflected by Kaylee as she tried to make a play?) that scores two, and a double on a full count scores two more. Shocks lead 5-4 in the middle of the fourth.

The Shockers reply with nine! of their own in the bottom of the fourth - Mackenzie single, Laurie two-run homer, Ryleigh solo homer. Singles by Paige and Bailey plus an error on Bailey's hit put runners at the corners, and Tulsa brings Hailey Meinen in to pitch. (In nineteen innings this year, she has an ERA of 3.58 and a WHIP of 1.58.) She promptly hits Madison to load the bases and walks Cassidy (pinch-hitting for Morgan) and Mackenzie to force in two more runs (four and five). Asea follows with an infield single (and subsequent throwing error?) which scores two more (six and seven). Laurie's double scores Mackenzie and sends Asea to third where she scores on a wild pitch (eight and nine).

The Shocker lead is 14-4 after four complete.

In the fifth, the first Hurricane reaches on Bailey's second error of the day and scores on a double. BaileyK is on to pitch. The runner on second advances on a wild pitch but is thrown out at the plate on a ground ball to Mackenzie. Another single sends the runner to third, and the batter advances to second on the throw. Life is never easy. An error by Mackenzie loads the bases, but Tulsa lines into a second to first double play to end the game by run-rule. Phew!

Tulsa 5-14(5) Shockers

Again, Bailey was ineffective as the starter. Nonetheless, she gets credit for the win.

Multiple hits: Bailey with two doubles and a home run, Laurie and Madison with a double and homer, Asea with a double and single, Paige with two singles. Nine of the fourteen Shocker hits were for extra bases as Bailee had a homer for the other.

Multiple RBI: Laurie with three, Bailee and Madison with two.
            Last edited by flyingMoose; April 8, 2018, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              But long flies do make life a bit easier.

Much different feel without Tulsa's ace in the circle.

Who will go in game two? I suspect we will start Caitlyn but have Bailey K ready to go. BaileyL struggling a bit recently.

Can the Shocks score enough against Watson to make it matter?
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 8, 2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Game Three

I can start this, I am good for three innings or so, but someone else will have to bring it home.

[Later] Hmm. With no LiveStats yet, not even lineups, I am wondering if this game is to be played. One of the Saturday umpires was not here today. It could be because of illness, but with her home in ND, I am suspecting airline connections did not allow her to stay for the duration of today's games. (Someone from OK came up to replace her.) Do the other two umpires have similar issues? Are there must-be-completed-by rules in the AAC, even if Tulsa bused up here? Or is LiveStats just locked up. I think it has been about forty-five minutes since the conclusion of the last game, and thirty minutes is the standard between-games time.

[Even later] According to the LiveState of the previous game, that game ended at 347pm, As I type, it is 1h20 later. I think this game is not being played or the LiveStats for it are locked up. Guess I will find out when I get back. Anybody got the coach's cell phone number?]

Okay. My EvenLater slipped past your Comment. Probably the sprinkles and the field condition.
              Last edited by flyingMoose; April 8, 2018, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                1972Shocker commented
                Editing a comment
                According to twitter it is scheduled to start at 5:30 pm.

Hiighlights for Game 1 today.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/983099026219458560

Comment

Game Three

Fr. Caitlyn Bingham in the circle for the Shocks. Sr. Emily Watson goes for Tulsa as expected.

Caitlyn gets through the top of the 1st but not without some stress. After strike out and a 5-3 ground out a pair of singles and a wild pitch put runners at 2nd and 3rd before Caitlyn induced a fly ball to left to end the inning.

Watson cruises through the 1st on 8 pitches.

Caitlyn with a 1-2-3 second.

Comment

Back to back jacks and it's 2-0 Shocks.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ryleigh Buck having a career day. A home run and 2 doubles in game one and now another home run in game 2 to stake the Shocks to a 1-0 lead which Paige extended to 2-0 with her home run.

Caitlyn works around a 1 out single and a wild pitch to get through a scoreless top of the 3rd.

The Shocks get a one out single by Mackenzie who stole second. With 2 outs Laurie was hit by a pitch but Bailee struck out to end the Shocker 3rd.

Caitlyn gives up a 2-out walk but nothing else in the 4th. Getting a good number of ground ball outs - 8 in 4 innings

In the Shocker 4th Tulsa retires Ryleigh for the 1st time today. Paige gets a 1 out single to right but Shocks can't mover her. On to the 5th.

A Tulsa single and a Caitlyn wild pitch put a runner on 2nd with no outs in the top of the 5th. Caitlyn gets a 6-3 ground out and a strike out before another wild pitch (her 4th one of the game) moved the runner to 3rd. A line drive to Bailee in CF ends the Tulsa at bat. Shocks hanging on to a 2-0 lead.

Shocks get a 2-out infield single by Asea but nothing else. We move on to the 6th.

In the top of the 6th Caitlyn gives up a lead of walk, whcih is a no-no. But a 5-4 force out at second and a line drive 5-3 double play ends the inning quickly.

I would take an insurance run or two here.

Caitlyn will have to work uninsured as the Shocks are down in order int the bottom of the 6th.

Caitlyn again walks the lead off batter. Again not what you want to do. And the reason you don't want to do that is because a home run will tie the game and it just did.

Fellow Fr. Hailey Martinez is on in relief of Caitlyn. Hailey got 2 fly ball outs to LF and then gave up an infield single at which point the brought in Mckenzie Weber, another freshman, to try to finish off the inning. A stolen base put the Tulsa runner in scoring position. Ryleigh Buck's great day may have just ended on sour note as Tulsa scores the go ahead run her error. Tulsa takes a 3-2 lead heading to the bottom of the 7th.

One out singles by Madison and BaileyL put runners on 1st and 2nd and give the Shocks some hope. Mackenzie hits into a 6-4 fielder's choice moving Morgan Palmer, pinch running for Madison to 3rd. Now it is up to Asea Webber with 2 outs. Asea walks on a full count to load the bases. Up to LD. Laurie grounds out to 2nd and the Shocks lose a real heartbreaker..

Feel bad for Caitlyn. She pitched quite well.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 8, 2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

The use of the freshman pitchers in relief in the seventh was curious. My guess is, "We can't rely one and one-half pitchers for the rest of the season (and conference tournament). I'm going to throw you into the fire. Show me what you've got." LiveStats says the loss belongs to Mckenzie - it belongs to Hailey. (I'm a scorekeeping freak - the official scoring of these games can be atrocious.)

EDIT: I just noticed that Hailey was taken out after a single to the pitcher. Perhaps she dinged by a come-backer.

Yes, the performance by Caitlin was very encouraging. Still too much wildness (both walks and wild pitches), but this was progress for her and easily the best starting pitching for the Shocks this weekend.

Ryleigh will continue to struggle defensively I suspect for reasons we have discussed before. But by next year we hope ...
                    Last edited by flyingMoose; April 8, 2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X