No announcement yet.

Shocker WBB Recruiting - Class of 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we going to fill the scholly left by jada?

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
    Are we going to fill the scholly left by jada?
    Actually, HCKA has 3 scholarships available if she wants to use them. She has the scholarships vacated by Jada Peacock, Alyssia Faye and Dawnyel Lair. If I was in her situation I would probably hold back 1 or 2 unless I could get really highly ranked player or transfer.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2019, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

Hopefully, the description of her as one fo the best shooters in the country (Juco) holds true at the D-1 level. Something the Shockers sorely need.

She started and played in 26 games for Broward as a sophomore. Must have missed 4 games due to injury. She averaged 14.9 points per game while averaging 28 minutes per game shooting 40.1% from the field including 39.6% on treys. About 60% of her shots were 3-pointers. She didn't get to the line a lot which is not surprising for a perimeter focused player but she did hit 83.9% of her free throws when she did get there. the Shocks as a team shot 27.4% from 3 last year. Clearly she was recruited to fill a role the Shocks where the Shocks were weak. Welcome to Shocker Nation Vendela.

Broward College Stats

Pending further additions Vendela will be the only junior on next year's roster.

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 18, 2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Here is a highlight video for Vendela from her sophomore season at Broward

Comment

• ShockTalk
            ShockTalk commented
            Editing a comment
            Her jump shot is almost a set shot, but it looks good. That's also an interesting "semi-hook" layup/short shot. Can dibble drive with either hand.

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that kind of shot is pretty typical in women's basketball. What I like about her perimeter shot is that it seems pretty effortless and smooth and she doesn't have to heave it to get it to the basket.

Now whether or not she will be able to get good, open looks against D-1 defenses remains to be seen.

Can never have enough shooters! Look into another big imo

Comment

No official word from the Shockers on Vendela's commitment. This might indicate a couple of things. One is that Vendala's LOI has not be received yet or, since HCKA seems to like to wait and announce her signings all at the same time, there is more to come. HCKA still has 2 scholarships to use if she wants to use all 15 this year. My guess is there is more to come. Now if they have their eye on an international player or two those may or may not come before the end of the signing period on May 15th. Not uncommon for the international players to be late adds.

Between Asia Henderson, Trajata Colbert and income signee Ashlei Kirven I think we are set for bigs. The critical need for this team is for some consistent shooters/scorers. The Shocks need to boost their 57.0 point per game scoring average into at least the mid-60's next year. The Shocks averaged 65.6 PPG in 2017-18 with a senior-laden team in HCKA's 1st year.

Whether or not they will be able do that is anyone's guess but I think they can do it if they can get a good team basketball concept going.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 23, 2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Wow... Thats a nice list

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                Yes, that's a nice list.

I think this is the player in question:

http://www.angelinaathletics.com/spo...k_natasha_ov4x

ESPN had her as a Top 100, 4-star player out of high school in 2017. Not sure why she went the Juco route. Grades maybe?

Would be a really good get for the Shocks but I'm not holding my breath on this one. My guess is she will end up at Okie State.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 24, 2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• WstateU
                  WstateU commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Cue the flying monkeys...

• flyingMoose
                  flyingMoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If she can't spell it, it's probably not Wichita State.

I will say this that I'm pretty impressed that the Shocks would be in the Final 5 for a player ranked this highly. I think she signed with Houston out of high school but then decided to take a year off before heading to the local juco.

Natasha does look good in the Shocker yellow (photo posted about 3 weeks ago):

Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 25, 2019, 04:46 PM.

Comment

While Natasha's Angelina college bio did mention she was the #1 juco recruit in the country it did not report that she had be selected as the NJCAA Division 1 National Player of the Year.

No question this would be a big-time recruiting coup if HCKA could somehow pull this one off. Not sure if that is very likely but as I said above just being in the hunt for such a player at this stage of the game is pretty impressive.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 25, 2019, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Natasha Mack has announced she will be attending Oklahoma State. Kudos to the WSU coaching staff for being in the mix. They can never be accused of not working hard.

Comment

WSU Ewa Laskowska‏ @CoachEwa
                      NCAA Recruiting Shutdown!

8:58 AM - 6 May 2019

Women's D-1 Basketball Recruiting Shutdown in effect from May 6th through May 12th.

The current signing period ends on Wednesday, May 15th.

As far as I know HCKA still has 2 scholarships to use if she wants to.

Comment

So at this point the Shockers roster, pending the possible addition of 1 or 2 more players, consists of 3 freshmen (including one redshirt), 6 sophomores (including 1 redshirt), 1 junior (a juco transfer) and 3 seniors (1 redshirt and all 3 were juco transfers). So more experience than last year but overall still a relatively young, inexperienced team.

I think HCKA missed an opportunity to balance out her classes a little bit by not redshirting Trajata Colbert last year. It's not that Trajata didn't improve last year, she did. But she is still pretty raw. As it was she had the fewest minutes on the team (excluding Dawnyel Lair who left at the team at the end of the 1st semester. I don't think her contributions of 2.8 points per game and 2.1 rebounds per game in the 21 games she played in made much difference. Can't really afford to redshirt Trajata this year as, at this point, she and Asia Henderson plus incoming freshman Ashlei Kirven are the Shocks' only real size. Of course, you never now what a true freshman will be able to bring to the table.

It's possible they have a foreign player or two in their sights and those players may be late adds closer to when school starts.

HCKA's history is that she typically uses all of her allotment of 15 scholarships but I hope she is sticks these in her pocket this year if she can't find really top flight players.

Comment

Shocks got another commitment from this young lady...

Comment

• WstateU
                            WstateU commented
                            Editing a comment
                            6’5”... nice!
                        Working...
                        X