Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Originally posted by SHOCKS10
    me three... Those bios are written by someone trying to convince someone, that they made a good hire.
    I guess you are referring to Jim Schaus since he made the hire.

First, I doubt that writing these bios is one of Jim's duties. If there are inaccuracies in the bio they probably should be corrected, although I am not aware of any.

Second, with his exceptional record of hiring coaches at WSU, I kind of doubt Jim is too concerned about convincing someone (whoever that may be) that he made a good hire five year's after the fact.

Third, while a number of fans were not happy that Jim canned Darryl Smith, I don't recall anyone making the case that Jane was a bad hire at that time based on her resume. Unfortunately, this is one of the few hirings by Jim that has not produced the desired results.
    Whether you think Albright should be fired or not, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever have the chance to hire a women's basketball coach with as impressive as resume as Jane's. Over the course of her career she has been a highly succesful coach in women's basketball. The fact that her record here in unimpressive does not change the fact that her overall career is. Now, at the end of the day Albright ,like every other coach, will answer for what she has done lately. She might be fired at the end of the season unless she is able to show clear evidence of a turnaround. What the career numbers have bought her is extra time. You don't quickly fire a coach with her history of success. It's the reason she was not fired last year and it is the reason that she has a chance to be around next year if this season exceeds expectations. WSU's women's BB team is not a program that has ever been highly successful. And as much as some of us love the program, it is not a high level draw for top-tier coaches. That makes firing someone with Albright's resume a difficult decision for an AD even if the fans see it differently.
    The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

That is a poor reason to keep her.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
        That is a poor reason to keep her.
        I was trying to explain why Albright might be kept more than I was defending it BUT that being said it is not necessarily a poor reason. In most of life we reward past success because it does help predict (although not guarantee) future success. Therefore, when a person (in any profession) has been successful at something for many, many years, we generally forgive a few bad years quicker than we do for a person who has not been as successful. And that's reasonable. There is a good argument to be made for why Albright should be let go. I don't deny that. I am just pointing out that there are also legitimate reasons why JS could decide otherwise.
        The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

My point was that those bios are always written to show a highly positive side of the coach, not always the truth or what really happened. WSU has hired coaches that were all but ran out of their previous positions, but we hired them anyway. There was one in particular several years ago, that lasted 3 seasons, and out, I believe it was in the Softball program. If you scrutinize Jane's record at Wisconsin, she was very successful in her initial years, and not so towards the end, with her own players. There had to be some reason Wisconsin made a decision not to renew her contract, if she was truly that successful, I would think that success would give her more time and funding... Something must have happened..

Comment

Rather or not Jane Albright is retained as our coach should be determined by her performance at WSU, which has been poor, and not by her bio.

You say Jane was not so successful in her later YEARS at Wisconsin.

In fact, she had a bad last year. In fact, a very bad year with her last Wisconsin team going 7-21. However, the previous 4 years her teams were a combined 76-48, for a 0.613 winning %, and finished 4th, 5th, 2nd and 5th in the Big Ten. Even including her final year she was 83-69 in her final 5 years at Wisconsin for a 0.546 winning %. Her overall record at Wisconsin was 161-107 for a 0.600 winning % and her record at Northern Illinois was 188-110 for a 0.631 winning %. Her overall career record before she was hired by the Shocks was 349-217 for a 0.617 winning %.

BTW, Wisconsin's record in the 4 full years since Jane left is 56-64. Now that is more what we are accustomed to at WSU. Did she leave the cupboard bare for her successor? Perhaps, I don't really know.

Pick any of these periods you like and her winning percentage was well above any of those of any of the previous Shocker Coaches at WSU and would be record we would love to have at WSU if we could repeat it.

My point is, that Jane's hiring has not worked out as hoped and she very well may be done at WSU at the end of this year. However, it is hard to argue that she was a bad hire 4-5 years ago based on her resume, even if the resume writer chose not to mention her record in her last year at Wisconsin.

I chose not to find a lot of fault with whoever wrote the bio because they chose not to focus on 1 year out of a relatively successful multi-decade coaching career.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is why are we unable to develop at least a mildly successful women's basketball program.

Both Linda Hargrove and Darryl Smith had very impressive records when they were hired albeit at the JUCO and D-II level. Jane clearly had the strongest resume of any Shocker women coached hired and she has also failed to win at WSU, even with the advantage of the Roundhouse Renaissance improvements. I'm sure Jim Schaus thought he had made another good hire attracting Coach with a successful Big Ten record and a lot of pundits thought so also.

Is it that difficult to attract the quality talent we need to win at WSU? I'm not expecting us to compete with the Top 40 teams, but sure would be nice to be competitive in the MVC.

Comment

hhhhmmmmm....jim littell....hhhmmmm.......

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Rather or not Jane Albright is retained as our coach should be determined by her performance at WSU, which has been poor, and not by her bio.

You say Jane was not so successful in her later YEARS at Wisconsin.

In fact, she had a bad last year. In fact, a very bad year with her last Wisconsin team going 7-21. However, the previous 4 years her teams were a combined 76-48, for a 0.613 winning %, and finished 4th, 5th, 2nd and 5th in the Big Ten. Even including her final year she was 83-69 in her final 5 years at Wisconsin for a 0.546 winning %. Her overall record at Wisconsin was 161-107 for a 0.600 winning % and her record at Northern Illinois was 188-110 for a 0.631 winning %. Her overall career record before she was hired by the Shocks was 349-217 for a 0.617 winning %.

BTW, Wisconsin's record in the 4 full years since Jane left is 56-64. Now that is more what we are accustomed to at WSU. Did she leave the cupboard bare for her successor? Perhaps, I don't really know.

Pick any of these periods you like and her winning percentage was well above any of those of any of the previous Shocker Coaches at WSU and would be record we would love to have at WSU if we could repeat it.

My point is, that Jane's hiring has not worked out as hoped and she very well may be done at WSU at the end of this year. However, it is hard to argue that she was a bad hire 4-5 years ago based on her resume, even if the resume writer chose not to mention her record in her last year at Wisconsin.

I chose not to find a lot of fault with whoever wrote the bio because they chose not to focus on 1 year out of a relatively successful multi-decade coaching career.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is why are we unable to develop at least a mildly successful women's basketball program.

Both Linda Hargrove and Darryl Smith had very impressive records when they were hired albeit at the JUCO and D-II level. Jane clearly had the strongest resume of any Shocker women coached hired and she has also failed to win at WSU, even with the advantage of the Roundhouse Renaissance improvements. I'm sure Jim Schaus thought he had made another good hire attracting Coach with a successful Big Ten record and a lot of pundits thought so also.

Is it that difficult to attract the quality talent we need to win at WSU? I'm not expecting us to compete with the Top 40 teams, but sure would be nice to be competitive in the MVC.
                also, Jane has had some great players, last years team should have easily won the valley.
                "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Working...
                X