Robben & Dawkins Leave (& Replaced)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robben & Dawkins Leave (& Replaced)

Heather Robben is transferring to Emporia State for her final year and Breanna Dawkins has also left the Shocker Women's basketball team.

Heather Robben and BreAnna Dawkins will not return to the Wichita State University women's basketball team, Head Coach Jody Adams announced today.

I can understand Heather's move. Quite frankly she looked a little over-matched athletically at the D-1 level.

Breanna OTOH is a little surprise although hard to say what's behind that.

The amount of player turnover under Jody is a little disconcerting, although it's difficult to really assess from the outside looking in.

Re: Robben & Dawkins Leave

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    Heather Robben is transferring to Emporia State for her final year and Breanna Dawkins has also left the Shocker Women's basketball team.

Heather Robben and BreAnna Dawkins will not return to the Wichita State University women's basketball team, Head Coach Jody Adams announced today.

I can understand Heather's move. Quite frankly she looked a little over-matched athletically at the D-1 level.

Breanna OTOH is a little surprise although hard to say what's behind that.

The amount of player turnover under Jody is a little disconcerting, although it's difficult to really assess from the outside looking in.
    from the vibe i get she is a very demanding coach. some student athletes cant handle that. they may know it going in but dont realize the demands truly until they get here. i personally like it. and the reason why there was so much in the beginning is bc it is a complete shift in philosophys from previous regimines

Comment

Yes, Jody is a taskmaster and, in and of itself there is nothing wrong with that, but anything can be done to an extreme. I'm not saying that is the case with Jody. I really don't know one way or the other.

Heather is probably making the best move for her.

Breanna played a lot for the Shocks as a freshman. Her leaving was a surprise, although I have no idea what was behind her leaving. Could be many things, including non-basketball related.

Shannika Bryant left the team during the year. Again not sure the reason behind that.

Comment

The number of defections is a concern though.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I couldn't find where the woman have signed anyone for next year. I know they had one open ship before this. Could someone fill me in on this?

Comment

The Shocks signed two incoming Freshman to LOI's. Molly O/Brien from Spokane, Mo. and Alex Harden from Springfield, IL.

WICHITA - The Wichita State University women's basketball team added two student-athletes for the 2011-12 season after Molly O'Brien (Spokane High School/Spokane, Mo.) and Alex Harden (Southeast High School/Springfield, Ill.) signed letters of intent today, the first day of the fall signing period.

Comment

At this point the roster for next year is:

2 Seniors: Haleigh and Alicia
              4 Juniors: Jessica, Jazimen, Chynna and Michelle
              1 Sophomore (?): Kelsey (She sat out a good portion of last season with a back injury - not sure she will qualify for a medical redshirt or not - she did play in 9 games (28%) so she may not be eligible for a medical redshirt)
              1 RS Freshman: Krystle
              2 Freshman: Molly and Alex

Getting a little top heavy with a relatively short roster.

Kelsey is coming off an ACL in her senior year of high school and the back injury last year. Hopefully, she can stand up physically to the rigors of D-1 basketball, but she has missed he best part of the last two years.

Krystle sat out all of last year and will be inexperienced.

Hard to predict if Molly and Alex will be ready to contribute next year or not.

Where will we be in two years?

Comment

Thank you very much 1972...

Comment

Given the lateness of Robben and Dawkins leaving, I'm wondering if Jody already has replacements in mind?

Total speculation, but with Jessica regaining more of her PG duties during the year, Krystle behind BreAnna and now Molly O'Brien, maybe it was just getting too crowded.

Comment

It's very difficult to build togetherness and teamwork, 2 things essential to success, when you have massive personnel changeover every season.

I understand superior talent is the #1 key, and that you have to have the student athletes buy in, but at some point, you have to hold yourself accountable for bringing in too many young people that don't work out, for whatever reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockfan8
                      I couldn't find where the woman have signed anyone for next year. I know they had one open ship before this. Could someone fill me in on this?
                      At this point the Shocks have 5 open schollies as D-1 women can give have 15 scholarship players, although Jody mentioned to me once that she probably would max out at 13. Just too hard to keep 15 kids happy.

Personally, I think the 15 schollie limit in WBB needs to be reduced back to the 13 level that the Men have. Might eventually help build a little better parity in the Women's game as the players at the end of the bench from the traditional powers trickle down but that is a whole other discussion.

Comment

I show 4 scholorships open. You failed to list Bryant and Henderson

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                          Originally posted by Shockfan8
                          At this point the Shocks have 5 open schollies as D-1 women can give have 15 scholarship players, although Jody mentioned to me once that she probably would max out at 13. Just too hard to keep 15 kids happy.

Personally, I think the 15 schollie limit in WBB needs to be reduced back to the 13 level that the Men have. Might eventually help build a little better parity in the Women's game as the players at the end of the bench from the traditional powers trickle down but that is a whole other discussion.
                          I think the 15 schollie limit is purely a Title IX thing, similar to women's scholarships for rowing, LaCrosse, and the like. It helps with the Men's scholarship availability IMO.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                            I show 4 scholorships open. You failed to list Bryant and Henderson
                            Krystle is Henderson and I did list her.

The reason I did not list Shannika Bryant is because she left the team and returned to Chicago during the season.

So we have 8 returning players and 2 incoming Freshman. We are allowed 15 scholarships. So I count that as 5 available (although I don't expect us to use them all).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                              Given the lateness of Robben and Dawkins leaving, I'm wondering if Jody already has replacements in mind?
                              Apparently that may have been the case.

Shocks add two JUCO players out of Georgia.

The Wichita State University women's basketball team added two student-athletes in the spring signing period, Head Coach Jody Adams announced today. Forward Nicole Wells and guard Jasmine Jones, both of Georgia Perimeter College, join WSU as members of the 2011-12 Shockers spring signing class.

Not great scorers but they at least give us needed depth.

We have not had real good success with JUCO transfers and I doubt we are getting any top notch JUCO players at this late date but we will see.

One negative is that we now have 6 players in next year's Junior class, so Jody will need to have a couple of good recruiting classes coming in the next two years.

Comment

Working...
                              X