Shocker 2018 Softball Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker 2018 Softball Schedule

The Shocks released their 2018 softball schedule. Looks like it contains more than a fair share of challenging games.
    WICHITA, Kan. - The Wichita State softball team has begun spring practice with head coach Kristi Bredbenner also revealing the 2018 schedule which will feature matchups against 11 teams that reached the 2017 NCAA Tournament, including two teams that reached the College World Series; Washington and National Champions Oklahoma.

Notes about the AAC portion of the schedule:

Only eight AAC teams play softball - Cincinnati, SMU, Temple and Tulane do not.

As in the Valley, each conference weekend consists of three games. Unlike the Valley (where the typical schedule was a DH on Saturday and a single game on Sunday), the AAC plays three single games. These are on Friday-Saturday-Sunday except the Easter weekend series which starts on Thursday.

All teams play in the conference tournament. It is single-elimination and this year is hosted by USF in Tampa.

With conference weekends starting on a Friday and with extended travel involved in some cases, keeping up with the academic side is going to tougher this year. For example, Easter weekend the Shockers travel to Storrs to play UConn.
    Last edited by flyingMoose; January 9, 2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
      With conference weekends starting on a Friday and with extended travel involved in some cases, keeping up with the academic side is going to tougher this year. For example, Easter weekend the Shockers travel to Storrs to play UConn.
      Would that not also cut into practice time? Seemed like Lambo indicated that was the case for the Volleybll team in dealing with AAC travel requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Would that not also cut into practice time? Seemed like Lambo indicated that was the case for the Volleybll team in dealing with AAC travel requirements.
        Not sure. There may be NCAA restrictions on how many practice days you can have in a season, how many practice hours in a week, how many something-elses. Just the wear-and-tear of extra travel and keeping up with academics may limit the time you spend in a particular practice, something I think could happen in volleyball.

I'll do some asking if I have the chance.

Comment

I found this, a 20-Hour-Rule document issued by the NCAA.

The basic rules are no more than 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week of "countable athletic related activities." There must be one day off during any "week" which is defined to be seven consecutive days. Game days count as three hours no matter how much time is actually involved.

The most obvious CARA are games and formal team practices, but there are others.

All of this is after a school session or season starts.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            I found this, a 20-Hour-Rule document issued by the NCAA.

The basic rules are no more than 4 hours per day and 20 hours per week of "countable athletic related activities." There must be one day off during any "week" which is defined to be seven consecutive days. Game days count as three hours no matter how much time is actually involved.

The most obvious CARA are games and formal team practices, but there are others.

All of this is after a school session or season starts.
            So a doubleheader still only counts as 3 hours? That would be an advantage to the Valley schedule right there.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
              So a doubleheader still only counts as 3 hours?
              That's how I read it, but I am not the Compliance guy either.

Comment

Nice article on UNI transfer Bailey Lange. Looks like HCKB has plans for Bailey to be a very key part of this year's team.

Comment

The Shockers are a preseason pick for 5th among the eight teams playing softball in the AAC. Tulsa leads the pack with Houston picking up the two first-place votes that do not belong to Tulsa.

The AAC release is here.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
                    1972Shocker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not surprising considering we have a total rebuild with the pitching staff and we have a relatively young team with only 3 seniors on the roster. The former being more significant than the latter.

Position players who graduated included Kelli Spring, Macklin Hitz and AshleyJohnson to replace as well.
                Working...
                X