Lady Shocks v Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lady Shocks v Kansas

The Shocks host KU in a DH today to close out the home part of their schedule. KU is 2-14, last in the ten-team softball Big 12. (OSU is now 7-4 and third.)

Another Meeting With the Big 12: Wichita State welcomes Big 12 member, Kansas, to Wilkins Stadium for the final home series of the season. The two teams meet for a doubleheader on Wed., April 27 starting at 5:00 p.m. Kansas is the fifth Big 12 opponent for the Shockers this season. WSU is 1-6 this season against the Big 12 with an upset victory over #18 Oklahoma State and losses to Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State.

Shocks not competitive in Game 1 losing 11-3 in 6 innings.

KU pounds out 12 hits, 7 of which were for extra bases including 5 (yes 5, not a typo) home runs.

KU's #3 and #4 hole hitters went 5-7 with 4 home runs.

Ouch!

Comment

flyingM, or anyone else attending Game 2, might be able to 'splain this one to me.

In the top of the 2nd. KU's Kocon walked. The Shocks then "turned" two described on live stats as:

Ingle out at first 3b to 2b to 1b; Kocon out at first 2b to 1b.
      Was this a keystone cop routine?

Comment

What a disasterous 5th for the Shocks.

Leading 3-1, the Shocks got a groundout then chaos began.

An error put the first runner on. A single made it 1st & 2nd with one down.

A passed ball moved both runners up.

A walk loaded the bases.

Another walk made it 3-2, bases still loaded.

A single scored 2, and a wild pitch moved the runners to 2nd & 3rd.

Another single and another run and it was 5-3 before we could get out of the inning.

Sad to give away games like that.

Comment

Shocks loaded the bases in the 6th with 1 out but got nothing out of it.

6-3 going to the last inning.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            flyingM, or anyone else attending Game 2, might be able to 'splain this one to me.

In the top of the 2nd. KU's Kocon walked. The Shocks then "turned" two described on live stats as:

Ingle out at first 3b to 2b to 1b; Kocon out at first 2b to 1b.
            Was this a keystone cop routine?
            Based on the description of Gert's game-ending DP, I suspect typos - Kocon out at second 3b to 2b as part of a 5-4-3 DP. But that is just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              Shocks loaded the bases in the 6th with 1 out but got nothing out of it.

6-3 going to the last inning.
              And that's the way it ends. At least the Shocks were competitive in this one with perhaps the exception of the bad 5th inning.

The Shocks are 16-33 for a reason (or perhaps several reasons).

Heather and Jamie are having pretty solid senior seasons but it just hasn't been enough to overcome our other shortcomings.

Shocks now go on the road for 7 MVC games (weather permitting) to close out the regular season. 3 @ UNI, 1 @ MSU and 3 @ BU.

Comment

Forget the overall record. Shocks can still finish well in the Valley standings with a strong finish on the road.

Comment

That is the problem here. "Forget the overall record", " Should finish higher in the conference". Seems to be the problem with the whole softball program. Settling for mediocrity. You get exactly what you expect. Wished it could be better for WSU Pride.

Comment

I agree. I don't think we should ignore the overall record. It is what it is and IIRC some thought our early season schedule was not an overpowering one.

In any case, with the 4th (MSU), 5th (UNI) and 6th (CU) place teams all having series left with either Evansville (5-16) or Indiana State (3-16) moving up in the MVC standings may be tough.

Comment

c'mon guys I am trying to be a "glass half full" fan!

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Pitch
                        c'mon guys I am trying to be a "glass half full" fan!
                        Ok, but I think my limit with the way the season has gone is a "glass one-third full".

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                          I agree. I don't think we should ignore the overall record. It is what it is and IIRC some thought our early season schedule was not an overpowering one.

In any case, with the 4th (MSU), 5th (UNI) and 6th (CU) place teams all having series left with either Evansville (5-16) or Indiana State (3-16) moving up in the MVC standings may be tough.
                          This.

Comment

Working...
                          X