2017 WBB Non-Conference Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 WBB Non-Conference Games

The Shocks open their 2017 non-conference schedule with a trip to Omaha to face the Creighton Bluejays at 11:30 am in a Kid's Day game. This is comparable to the Schoohouse Rocks game the Shocks have every season during the non-con schedule. However, the schedule indicates the game is at D.J. Sokol Arena which seats 2,500. The Shocks bus in around 9.000 kids for their Schoolhouse Rocks game in Koch Arena. However, those kids will be plenty loud in the smaller Sokol Arena.

Initially this was not a game I marked down in my win column, especially being on the road, but after looking at it closer I think the Shocks have a shot at winning this game if they play well.

The Bluejays were Big East co-champs last year finishing at 28-4 overall which included a 1-1 showing in the NCAA Tournament but they lost 3 starters from that team and are picked to finish 4th in the Big East this year. The Shocks are picked 10th in the AAC this year.

I did not think the Shocks would beat Creighton last year but they did come away with a 62-54 win in Koch Arena.

Furthermore, Creighton was not overly impressive in the one exhibition game beating D-II Northern State (South Dakota) 68-63. The Bluejays were lead in scoring in that game by So. F Jaylen Agnew with 15 points. Jaylen is an Andove HS grad. In addition, to Agnew the Bluejays start 3 seniors and a junior. So they have decent experience.

The Shocks will probably start 5 seniors. Of the Shocker newcomers only Jr. Cesaria Ambrosio and perhaps Fr. Alyssia Faye seemed slated for much action. Not sure about the status of Jr. Raven Prince as she did not suit up for wither of the Shocker exhibition games.

In terms of size I think the teams are comparable although Creighton may have a slight size advantage at the guard position where the Shokcs are a little small.

Shocker Game Notes

Creighton Game Notes

:poster_shocks:
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 9, 2017, 10:21 AM.

WSU down 11-20 to CU after the 1st quarter. Shooting 29% to the BJ's 58%.

Comment

Shocks off to a poor start at Creighton trailing 20-11 at the end of the 1st quarter.

The Shocks are 5-17 from the field and 1-2 from the line. Creighton is 7-12 from the field (including 2-4 on treys) and 4-7 fron the line.

Shocks getting outrebounded 13-8.

Comment

Shocks down 31-24 at the half. The have put a little dent in the 12-2 lead Creighton built to open the game but they will need to pick it up on the offensive end if they are going to come back in this one.

Comment

Wichita did a good job to stick around despite struggling on offense. Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
            Wichita did a good job to stick around despite struggling on offense. Go Shocks!
            I don't think we are going to be a very good perimeter shooting team.

Comment

The Shocks were behind by 15 at 43-28 with 4 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter but were able to cut that lead in half to 47-40 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

Angiee Tompkins has 4 fouls which is definitely not helpful to the Shocks.

Shocks need to edge closer and then finish strong and who knows maybe they can pull this out.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 10, 2017, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Shocks have pulled to within 1 at 48-49 with 7 minutes to play.

Now can they sustain this level of play?

Comment

Shocks tied it at 51-all then gave up a 7 point run to Creighton and now trail 51-58 with 3:30 to play.

Comment

Shocks cut it to 60-62. Shocks mssed a 3-pointer that would have given them the lead. Creighton ball with 43 seconds remaining.

Creighton gets a layup at the end of the shot clock to make take a 4 point lead at 64-60 with 20 seconds left.

Final: Creighton 66 - Wichita State 61
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 10, 2017, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Coach Keitha said "dadgummit" in her post game interview. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Coach Keitha said "dadgummit" in her post game interview. I like it.
                        Did she attend Roy William's breakout session for post-game pressers at the last coach's meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Did she attend Roy William's breakout session for post-game pressers at the last coach's meeting?
                          Dadgummit, I don't know.

Comment

Disappointing loss, but I saw a lot of promise. Creighton won a tournament game last season. Keitha will right the ship.
                            Last edited by UCONN_Husky; November 12, 2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                              Disappointed loss, but I saw a lot of promise. Creighton won a tournament game team last season. Keitha will right the ship.
                              I think she can but it will require some time and patience.

Comment

Working...
                              X