ESPN Article on Mid-Majors at the NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Article on Mid-Majors at the NCAA

For perennial powers, the first rounds of the NCAA Tournament are a mere formality. For teams from the mid-major conferences, a trip -- and a win -- could put the team and the league on the map.

Getting on the map and hopefully staying there.

Nice find. Although a couple of boo-boos.

Wichita State will play Western Kentucky at Nebraska, Missouri Valley will face Oregon, and Illinois State will take on Miami (Ohio).
    Unless the conference is sending an All-Star team Missouri State is playing Oregon and Illinois State is playing #14 seed Colorado State at Michigan.

Comment

Not that it is really all that significant, but I was a little bit disappointed that they did not mention that little ol' mid-major WSU ranked #7 in attendance nationally and that 4 MVC teams are represented in the Top 25 in attendance (although Creighton's ranking in that department is a little suspect). Of course, then we don't seem quite so mid-majorish I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Not that it is really all that significant, but I was a little bit disappointed that they did not mention that little ol' mid-major WSU ranked #7 in attendance nationally and that 4 MVC teams are represented in the Top 25 in attendance (although Creighton's ranking in that department is a little suspect). Of course, then we don't seem quite so mid-majorish I suppose.
        Excellent points, I will email the writer and see what his response is.

Comment

An interesting response from ESPN writer Dave Reed:

I'm a big fan of the Missouri Valley Conference VB programs and was glad
          to see they got some much-deserved respect from the selection committee. I
          was especially glad to see the Shockers get an at-large bid after they
          were slighted in 2005.

I didn't get into the attendance figures this time because the focus of
          the story was how the Valley coaches took the committee's advice and
          scheduled better opponents during the non-conference portion of their
          schedules.

A future story might be why no Valley school is playing host to the first
          and second rounds of the tournament when their attendance figures would
          certainly justify some consideration. But there are a lot of other issues
          that come into play for site selection.

Enjoy the tournament.

Dave

Comment

I forgot to include the link to an article about the 2005 NCAA committee snub

It wasn't so long ago that Wichita State was an afterthought in volleyball. But things have changed, and the Shockers are now among the nation's elite.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that response. However, my hope for a future story is how the Shockers pulled off the VB upset of the year when they knock of the 27-1 Nebraska Cornhuskers.

:D

Nebraska is cruising against South Dakota State 30-13 and 30-14 in the first two games.

Comment

As expected Nebraska polishes off SDSU in dominatin fashion (13-14-13) and await the Shocks tomorrow evening.

Catch the Game on Kansas Now 22, but listen to Mike Kennedy. The TV feed is from Nebraska, with Nebraska announcers.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                X