No announcement yet.

Headed to Lincoln

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proximity would appear to play an inordinately important role in the VB Tournament pairings.

But if we're going to win the National Championship we probably have to take out the CornHuskers at some point along the way, so we might as well do it sooner as later.

Perhaps we have the most winnable first round match, although I supsect Western Kentucky will be pretty solid.

Can we beat Nebraska? No one I know would make that bet, but remember this is the year of the upset. If Appalachian State can knock of Michigan in the Big House then anything is possible, even if very unlikely.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
      Here's to the Lady Shockers giving both Nebraska and the NCAAs a big stinking (deleted) to munch on.
      There is nothing grosser then muching on (deleted)! :goshocks:
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I was thinking the same about MSU going to Manhattan. 2 plays 3, so it's the same. And KSU is definitely beatable. Nebraska only is if someone pulls a Tonya Harding on all 6 of their starters. For god's sake, they have the past 2 national players of the year on their team and 5 former all-americans. We got @#$$^#%$.

Comment

The bracket seems to rank us as being around the 32nd best team in the nation. I'd say that is pretty close to where we will fall in the polls tomorrow and about where our rpi is. Missouri State is considered to be about #41 in the nation. Well the placement sucks we get to play the #33 seed rather then #24 seed as they have to. I know the look of the 2nd round sucks, but you have to win the first round to get there and we have been given the position were we are favored to do so unlike any other Valley team. I wouldn't be looking past Western Kentucky right now, but I'd rather be playing them then Oregon, Colorado State, or Wisconsin in the first round.

I think UNI got the worse end of the deal. They are playing the #7 national seed after tying for 2nd in the Valley and winning the Valley tournament, while Ill St gets to go play the #14 national seed. How does that one make sense?

Comment

Any word on tickets???

Comment

The Hilltoppers were 2nd in the Sunbelt and a team that I've seen a couple people on Valleytalk mention that they didn't think they deserved an at large bid. Common opponents include:

North Texas (WSU W, 30-22, 30-22, 30-18, WKU W, 30-19, 30-25, 28-30, 27-30, 15-120

Denver (WSU W, 30-25, 30-23, 30-24, WKU beat them on 2 occasions 3 sets to 1 in fairly tight matches.)

WKU also beat Middle Tennesse State, who lost two matches all year, once and got swept by them twice. Middle Tennesse's loses were one to WKU 3 games to 0 and one to Missouri State University 3 games to 1. Middle Tennesse also swept Creighton early on in the season.

They are led by 6'1" middle hitter Megan Argabright at almost 5 kills per game. Looks like they also run a 5-1 offense with a 5'8" junior setter. They have two 6' outside hitters who average almost 3 kills per game. They have only 1 senior on the team.

As a team they average 2 aces per game which is above our 1.7, but we average more digs (19.4 to 13.4) and blocks (2.5 to 2.3) per game. Looks like they rely on tough serving to get them points so we'll need to bring our passing game.

Looks like they have the talent to hang with very good teams, but haven't done so on a consistent basis.

Comment

I hope all the Lady Shocks bring in an attitude that matches the fire DR Wu brings to this board. They do that and great things will be happenin' in Lincoln.

Comment

Shocks play the Hilltoppers at 4:30 PM Friday (November 30)

Regional Championship at 5:00 PM on Saturday (December 1)

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Good News. Mike Kennedy will be calling the action in Lincoln.

I really like Ted Woodward and he does a nice job on the locker room show and he is fine as a back up when needed but Play-By-Play really is not his strength.

Mike will really be hustling to make it from Boone, NC to Lincoln for our 4:30 p.m. match with Western Kentucky on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

I really like Ted Woodward and he does a nice job on the locker room show and he is fine as a back up when needed but Play-By-Play really is not his strength.

Mike will really be hustling to make it from Boone, NC to Lincoln for our 4:30 p.m. match with Western Kentucky on Friday.
                      Play-by-play is really hard for volleyball because things happen a lot faster than in other sports. It even took Mike awhile to adjust when he first started calling the games, so I can't really blame Ted for having trouble with it. Glad to hear that Mike will be there for the NCAA's, even if I can't listen because I'm working. :cry:
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Hope I get out of work a few minutes early, but will be able to pick it up at 5 for the drive home.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker

That's dynamite! I'm am thrilled he took my suggestion to heart.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I noticed Tulsa made the Tournament this year. Sure would be nice if we could strike up a home and home series with the Golden Hurricanes to replace a team like Chicago State or perhaps even UMKC.

Comment

RoyalShock: I would like to request the Shock clock be reset after the App State game tonight to countdown to the VB team's match with Western Kentucky at 4:30 p.m. Friday.

Thanks for your great work.

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                              X