Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host #12 UNI (Under 18 Tickets $3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

having read the pertaining rules, I agree that such a play is legal. Sorry for questioning it. haha.

it definitely sounds like quite the impressive play.

according to the rules, the opposing players can't "interfere". but I wonder if they are required to move out of the way if they see an opponent duck under the net to chase after a ball.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79
      having read the pertaining rules, I agree that such a play is legal. Sorry for questioning it. haha.

it definitely sounds like quite the impressive play.

according to the rules, the opposing players can't "interfere". but I wonder if they are required to move out of the way if they see an opponent duck under the net to chase after a ball.
      I don't think they are required to move out of the way and the offensive player attempting to retrieve the ball can not do anything to impede or cause a safety issue for the opponent (which would be ruled a center line violation).

Marcia Alterman is the Secretary-Rules Editor of the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Rules Committee and she is a resident of Wichita.
      Rules Committee.

The last two years we have had a VB101 Dinner (fund raiser) prior to the season. Last year Marci Alterman and this year Mary Faragher, another Wichitan who officiates many of our matches gave explanations and on-court illustrations of various rules for NCAA Volleyball. Sounds boring but it is actually pretty interesting (especially for novices like myself).

The main reason this new pursuit rule was not previously in place was due to concerns about causing injuries due to collisions, tripping, etc. However, I guess it is used by other governing bodies and the history has been that this has not been a problem. Therefore, the NCAA put it in this year because it can be one of the more exciting plays in VB.

You won't see it very often, but when you do it is an exciting play.

Comment

Hmm, if we are talking about the ball Camri chased down, I am in the around-the-net camp. But I may have just automatically assumed that rather than under-the-net and wasn't paying close enough attention. *Sigh.*

I actually think this rule has been in place for a number of years, but because of our above-ground net system and safety issues, it was not in force at our place. Once the in-ground system was installed, then this "pursuit" rule could be used. And then it would be useful to describe it at the VB101 dinner.

Comment

I don't know if we are taking about the same play or not for sure, but I assume we are because it was so unusual. I do know a Shocker player crossed under the net into the free zone on UNI's side of the net to retrieve and keep keep a ball in play.

According to the NCAA this was a rule change for this season:

The following rules-change proposals have been approved by the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Rules Committee and by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel. They will be incorporated into the rules book for the 2010 and 2011 volleyball seasons. The rule and page references are from the 2009 Women’s Volleyball Rules Book.

Ball Crossing the Net (“Pursuit” Rule). (Rule 15.1.1.1, page 75)— If a ball has crossed to the opponent’s free zone that is pursuable per this rule, a player is no longer restricted from crossing under the net or net cable to retrieve the ball. Rationale: Other rule codes that have allowed this play have not reported a significant injury rate to players making this play, and have stated that a high percentage of successful retrievals are made by players using this path. If one of the most exciting plays in the game of volleyball can be allowed without increased injury exposure, the rules should not prohibit it.
          Under previous rules you could go around the outside of the net into the free zone on the opponents side of the net to retrieve a ball. Our above ground system made this very difficult and perhaps may not have even been allowed for safety reasons.

A number of fans around where I was sitting said they did not know you could legally go under the net. I and a several other fans responded that yes they discussed this at the VB101 Dinner

Comment

BTW, after the player retrieved the ball they did return to the Shocker side of the net by going around the outside of the net. I'm not sure if this is required on not, but returning back under the net would run the risk of interfering with the opponent as they re-position.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              I don't know if we are taking about the same play or not for sure, but I assume we are because it was so unusual. I do know a Shocker player crossed under the net into the free zone on UNI's side of the net to retrieve and keep keep a ball in play.
              Oh, the UNI match, not the Bradley match. I missed a few points of the UNI match, so I could well have missed the play. Although I think there was an around-the-net retrieval in the UNI match by one of the teams in addition to any under-the-net retrieval - a possible reason for my confusion - not that I need much.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              According to the NCAA this was a rule change for this season:

The following rules-change proposals have been approved by the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Rules Committee and by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel. They will be incorporated into the rules book for the 2010 and 2011 volleyball seasons. The rule and page references are from the 2009 Women’s Volleyball Rules Book.

Ball Crossing the Net (“Pursuit” Rule). (Rule 15.1.1.1, page 75)— If a ball has crossed to the opponent’s free zone that is pursuable per this rule, a player is no longer restricted from crossing under the net or net cable to retrieve the ball. Rationale: Other rule codes that have allowed this play have not reported a significant injury rate to players making this play, and have stated that a high percentage of successful retrievals are made by players using this path. If one of the most exciting plays in the game of volleyball can be allowed without increased injury exposure, the rules should not prohibit it.
              Under previous rules you could go around the outside of the net into the free zone on the opponents side of the net to retrieve a ball. Our above ground system made this very difficult and perhaps may not have even been allowed for safety reasons.
              Sorry, I was unclear. The in-place-for-several-years rule I was referring to was the "general" pursuit rule, not the under-the-net extension to the rule.

Comment

Working...
              X