Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks Host #12 UNI (Under 18 Tickets $3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks Host #12 UNI (Under 18 Tickets $3)

I thought Sully did a nice job in his match day article in the Eagle:

I was pleasantly surprised about the discussion of NCAA hosting possibiliites.

A Shocker win tonight couple with a huge crowd would greatly enhance our hosting chances.

There is a promotion tonight that hasnt' been heavily publicized as far as I can tell:

Friday night is Youth Night/Camper Night. All youth ages 18 and under get in for only $3. All volleyball campers get in free when they wear their camp T-shirt.

The Shocks made a pretty good effort but UNI is simply a better Volleyball team taking the Shocks out in 4 sets after the Shocks won set 1.

The Shocks are UNI's equal on the attack (when they get a good pass) and are probably a better blocking team than UNI.

However, UNI was clearly superior in the serve and pass phase of the game and they are quite outstanding defensively also.

Emily was very good for the Shocks as was Elizableth and Sarah McGee. However, Camri picked a bad time to have her worst match of the season.

Sarah McGee went down late in the 4th set and appeared to have injured her knee. She did walk off the court, but I would say her availability for tomorrow night is iffy at this point.

MSU defeated Bradley tonight but took 5 sets to do it. All of sudden things are looking a little dicey for the finale tomorrow evening.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      The Shocks made a pretty good effort but UNI is simply a better Volleyball team taking the Shocks out in 4 sets after the Shocks won set 1.
      Interestingly, with Pablo Rankings for the Shocks and UNI of 24 and 16, respectively, the Panthers win was considered an upset by Pablo, given the Shocks were playing at home.

MSU defeated Bradley tonight but took 5 sets to do it. All of sudden things are looking a little dicey for the finale tomorrow evening.
      And Missouri State trailed 2-1 after three sets, winning the fifth set, 15-11.

Comment

In the 8 seasons I've been following Shocker Volleyball, that's the first time (other than NU and Texas in the tourney) that I've left a game where I didn't think we should have won.

I actually thought UNI and WSU both played spectacularly. For 3 sets, it was as good as volleyball gets. Both teams were efficient and focused. Almost every point had to be EARNED. Our girls have nothing to be ashamed of tonight. They were defeated by a great team playing at a very high level.

I don't think there are 10 teams in the country that could have beat either one of us tonight. It was that good. If you missed the game....shame on you.

I am worried about Sarah. The way she fell, the sound I heard and her reaction, even the way she walked off........I hate to speculate and I pray I am wrong, but I suspect she is done.

I rarely have been more proud of this team, and that's saying something.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwsu: :posterwsu:

Comment

I might add there was a call in the second set that totally changed the match. I believe it was tied at 21, it might have been 21-20 UNI and Emily hit a shot in the corner that was IN. It's not that I think it was in, it WAS IN. The line judge was blocked, and the lead official absolutely guessed and called it out.

It was a KILLER. I think WSU would have won the set from that point, and up 2-0, certainly would have been a big favorite to close out the match.

Needless to say, I was irritated.

Comment

Sarah's injury certainly put a damper on the evening.

I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

If she is done, then it will be interesting to see how her teammates respond.

In the short video clip on goShockers.com Lambo sure looked pretty down and I doubt if it was because we lost to an outstanding UNI team.

:(

Comment

Yep, I 'm not looking forward to the details tomorrow.

Let me add that Elizabeth Field was DYNAMITE tonight. All of a sudden she is getting it, big time. Really looking forward to watching her game develop.....that's a bunch of talent.

Also, senior night will be extra special for the Eckenrode family. Lindsey's younger sister is the starting setter for the Woodlands High School, and they advanced to the Texas state finals in the largest division 5A. They beat the #1 seed tonight and will play for the championship tomorrow at 5. Hell of an accomplishment for a freshman.

Comment

Call

Wu, I agree with you on the missed call in the 2nd set. We sat in the SE corner behind the team bench & up 6-7 rows, so we had a very good view of where the ball hit on the floor that the ref called out. We thought it was IN, too.

But, UNI is a very good team & you have to give them credit for that.

One very unusual play that WSU pulled off perhaps in the 3rd set came off a new rule that was explained at the VB 101 dinner before the season started. If a mishit is made that travels across the net out of bounds, the team that mishit the ball is allowed to run under the net & hit it back to their side so that it can be returned to the opponent to keep the ball in play. WSU pulled that off last night & it was the 1st time I ever saw it done this season.

I, too, am concerned about Sarah McGee's knee injury. It happened when she made a valiant effort to make an outside hit on the right side while trying to help WSU come back from a 3-4 pt deficit.

Although it will likely never be explained, I remain curious about why Sarah Waldorf and Jackie Church changed jerseys before the 4th set so that Jackie became the libero. I don't know if that was a tactical move by Lambo or if Sarah had taken so many hard hits while digging balls that she was bruised up!?

Comment

Re: Call

Originally posted by xazshox
                  Although it will likely never be explained, I remain curious about why Sarah Waldorf and Jackie Church changed jerseys before the 4th set so that Jackie became the libero. I don't know if that was a tactical move by Lambo or if Sarah had taken so many hard hits while digging balls that she was bruised up!?
                  My guess is it was a tactical move, becuase Waldo was not removed from the lineup. She and Jackie simply switched roles.

This is not the first time this has happened this year and over the last month or so we have seen both Waldo and Jackie starting at the Libero position. I'm speculating the determination as to who starts at the Libero is based on performance at practice leading up to the matches.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between Waldo and Jackie. I think Jackie is a little bit better passer but Waldo makes more spectacular saves.

Last night UNI's tough serving game was giving us problems and making it tough to make good passes. I think Lambo made the switch hoping that it might change our fortunes in that regard. Unfortunately, I don't think it really made much difference.

UNI had 6 aces and 8 service errors. The Shocks had 1 ace and 8 errors.
                  Not to mention the numerous tough serves UNI made that contributed to poor initial passes by the Shocks. I think this was a very key component to UNI's victory.

Comment

Sarah's injury certainly put a damper on the evening.

I'm hoping for the best, but fearing the worst.

If she is done, then it will be interesting to see how her teammates respond.

In the short video clip on goShockers.com Lambo sure looked pretty down and I doubt if it was because we lost to an outstanding UNI team.

:(
                    I hope Sarah is ok.... she's seems like such a great kid. I hope she's able to get back and compete with the Shox in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

One very unusual play that WSU pulled off perhaps in the 3rd set came off a new rule that was explained at the VB 101 dinner before the season started. If a mishit is made that travels across the net out of bounds, the team that mishit the ball is allowed to run under the net & hit it back to their side so that it can be returned to the opponent to keep the ball in play. WSU pulled that off last night & it was the 1st time I ever saw it done this season.
                      Players are allowed to run under the net?!?
                      I figured they were able to chase the ball out of bounds across the center line, but I wasn't aware that they could cut under the net. I wonder if the other team is allowed to impede their progress of the player trying to cut across their side of the court.

Comment

I did not see anyone run under the net to play a ball---but then again I saw some WSU hits that certainly appeared in and were ruled out. :roll: There was a terrific type of save we don't see very often and I wonder if that is what you are talking about. Camri ran after a poorly passed ball that was out of bounds AND on UNI's side. She managed to run it down and pass it back to our side of the net....all done without the ball ever passing OVER the net in between the antenna's. Usually the scorers table, spectators/chairs/team benches manage to get in the way on these types of plays so it was cool to see it actually play out.

Comment

A Shocker player did indeed cross under the net to keep a ball alive. This is a new NCAA rule for the 2010-11 season. You do have to meet certain space requirements for the rule to be used which is determined by the officials on a match-by-match basis. Not sure we could have used this if we had not changed from above ground net system to our new in-ground system.

From Page 11:
                          8. Ball Crossing the Net (“Pursuit Rule”): If a ball has crossed to the opponent’s free zone that is pursuable per this rule, a player is no
                          longer restricted from crossing under the net or net cable to retrieve this
                          ball. The pursuing player may not commit a center line fault (see Rule
                          15.2.4). The opposing players may not interfere with pursuit attempts.

From Page 78:
                          15.1.1.1 A ball that has crossed the net plane to the opponent’s free zone over or outside the antenna after a team’s first contact or block may be played back to a teammate, provided a center line fault is not committed (See Rule 15.2.4) and the ball, when retrieved, crosses the net plane over or outside the antenna on the same side of the court. The opponent(s) may not prevent this action. (See Rule 15.2.3.)

Note: Rule 15.1.1.1 is not used in a facility that does not have at least 2
                          meters (6 feet, 6 inches) of free space between the net support (including
                          padding) on the bench side of the court and the scorekeeper’s table (or other floor obstacle) and 2 meters (6 feet, 6 inches) of free space behind the first referee’s stand.

Comment

I thought Camri ran outside the left side of the net on the out of bounds side of UNI to hit it back on our side to be hit over the net. How ever it was the best play I think I've ever seen.
                            First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

If we are talking about the play where the Shockers retrieved a ball well on the UNI side of the net near the scorer's table and returned the ball back to the Shocker's side of the net where it was then returned over the net to UNI then we are talking about the play where the Shocker player did go under the net. I did not focus on who the Shocker player was because I was more focused on the play itself to see if they could actually pull it off. The Shocker player that retrieved the ball in that circumstance definitey went under the net. Several people in our section were talking about hearing that was legal at the VB101 dinner but most of us were shocked we actually saw it happen in a match.

Had the player had to go around the outside of the net they probably do not make the play.

The Shocker-Bradley game was replayed on Cox 22 tonight which I was unaware of until after it was too late otherwise I would have recorded the replay and could verify this play. However, I am 99.9% sure we went under the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X