Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wushock
    Then why did Lamb have to spout off. Everything works out
    There is no way Lamb knew the MVC was getting 4 bids. As far as he was concerned, UNI was it. That is what has almost always happened in the past. He was frstrated and said it. If the bigger conferences aren't doing it, then why should the MVC?

Comment

Then he needs to take it up with his AD or with the MVC not the media. He looked bad. I'm not saying he doesnt have a valid point but to come out and act like he did was embarrassing. I expect more out of our coaches particularly in public. What he did was very very disrespectful to illinois state. that team beat us fair and square and did it after just playing the game before. He acted immature and whether he has a valid point or good arguement is besides the point. You can't carry yourself like that if your a head coach, leader of a team, representative of a university, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
        Then he needs to take it up with his AD or with the MVC not the media. He looked bad. I'm not saying he doesnt have a valid point but to come out and act like he did was embarrassing. I expect more out of our coaches particularly in public. What he did was very very disrespectful to illinois state. that team beat us fair and square and did it after just playing the game before. He acted immature and whether he has a valid point or good arguement is besides the point. You can't carry yourself like that if your a head coach, leader of a team, representative of a university, etc.
        It happens in the heat of the moment... unfortunately he can't take back what he said. It's a carry over from '05 when he and the team were devastated by being left out. Heck, can you imagine how they felt yesterday when 60 of the teams had been announced and our ticket still hadn't been punched... my wife and I were looking at each other in disbelief... crossing our toes and fingers. As WSU fans, we have a chip on our shoulder when it comes to the NCAA… for some reason we have the “everyone is out to get us syndrome.” I’ve always believed it was just our imagination and a carry over from the early 80’s.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I would have preferred that Coach Lamb had simply applauded ILS on a hard fought and well deserved win and taken his fight about the value or need for a post season tournament behind closed doors. However, I'm not ready to throw him under the bus for his comments.

I sense that Coach Lamb perhaps has tried that approach for some time now and is probably getting little, if any, serious consideration from the MVC office. Perhaps he thought that was his opportunity to make a big splash and to actually get his point of view heard.

No doubt that lingering frustration plus the acute frustration from losing a match the Shocks probably should have won (leading 7-4 in Game 5 is usually a pretty strong position) was probably just too much for a competitive Coach known to speak what is on his mind in any case.

I'm not really sure what value the MVC Tournament is? It can't possibly be a money maker can it? Maybe the MVC Office skims a few bucks off the top, but I suspect it is a net money loser for the participating schools.

Perhaps the Tournament allowed ILS to get in the Tournament with their upsets of MSU and WSU. However, that's not going to happen very often and I consider it more of an anomaly, then something routine. Not sure how much it is worth financially to get teams into the NCAA Tournament. That has to be where the money is. Certainly does not seem to be in the MVC Tournament.

In any case, it's over and done with and I hope Coach Lamb is a Shocker for many, many, many more years to come.

Comment

I agree 100%. I'm not trying to throw him under the bus per say just saying that its my opinion he needs to take it through the proper channels. I think he is a great coach and recruiter and I hope hes here for the life of his career if he chooses to be. I also hope that the circumstances with the tourny arent something that would drive him to want to leave for a larger conference. I just expect a headcoach to be able to control his emotions in such circumstances and avoid looking like an idiot to any that may have seen or heard him. He has to realize that he is more than just a volleyball coach. he also represents the university and is a face for it. He needs to conduct himself in such a manner. I can't blame him for being bent about things and being worried he may get screwed but he has to resist the urge to act and speak like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Thats all I'm saying. Its disapointing and I never in a million years would have expected that sort of outburst from him in particular. It was clearly a heat of the moment thing but i doubt he wants his players flying off the handle in the heat of the moment and taking a personal vendetta out on the court and compromise our teams chance to win or be respected. If he can ask those girls to conduct themselves in such a way and I'm sure he does then he needs to tow the line and lead by example and carry himself in the same way he would expect a player to carry or conduct themselves. Thing is the tourny seems stupid to us but its very important to all the other teams and girls. They may not have a resume to make the tourny and its their shot to make that dream happen. Its about more than wsu. And some people need to realize that rather than just expect Elgin to do whats best just for WSU or whoever the top dog may be at the time.

Comment

He definitely should have given credit to Illinois State and maybe he did and it didn't get reported. I did not have the benefit of listening to his post-game show (if he had one) since I attended the match. Generally, though I agree that he could have handled the situaution better. However, I think he has earned the right to say what he thinks given the proper timing and venue.

We just need to figure out how to win the Tournament because it is does not appear that it is going away.

Could be a lot worse. We could be K-State fans facing the prospect of dealing with the Frank Martin show. :shock:

Comment

Working...
              X