Shockers - MVC Player of the Week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers - MVC Player of the Week?

Where's the recognition for our student-athetes? We have many of the best players in the conference, lead the league in attendance, lead the league in performance (1st place), have the best coach, the best facilities and have helped get the MVC conference some national recognition and what do we get from the conference? Very little recognition. Look at this data and ask the MVC why no recognition?

Look at the Weekly Volleyball Release at the bottom of this article and get good data on MVC Volleyball for this season.

I am with you guys - lets just pack the roundhouse for our last three home games. Someone needs to get us organized and I will help buy tickets and get people out to the best entertainment value in Wichita.
    GO SHOX!

UNI got national recognition long before us, we just put the program in place to take over that spot when UNI went downhill a little. Now a lot of teams are up and it's the best volleyball I've ever seen from top to bottom (ok, about 6th place) in the Valley.

As far as individual accomplishments I expect those to stand out at the end of the year. We spread the game around so much and play so well as a team that a lot of time our players don't get a chance to put up the numbers that the top players on other teams get. Where they will stand out is on there averages over the course of the year and what they accomplished on such a solid team. I view having that depth as a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
      UNI got national recognition long before us, we just put the program in place to take over that spot when UNI went downhill a little. Now a lot of teams are up and it's the best volleyball I've ever seen from top to bottom (ok, about 6th place) in the Valley.

As far as individual accomplishments I expect those to stand out at the end of the year. We spread the game around so much and play so well as a team that a lot of time our players don't get a chance to put up the numbers that the top players on other teams get. Where they will stand out is on there averages over the course of the year and what they accomplished on such a solid team. I view having that depth as a good thing.
      You say that, but Emily is leading the Valley in kills and total points per game and Steph is leading the Valley in hitting percentage.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Because they put up consistant solid numbers which stand out over the course of time. One thing the valley has always seem to do with their player of the week is give it to the person who gets 20+ kills no matter their hitting percentage. That's always been pretty consistent for them.

Comment

I think Emily Stockman will be MVC POY if the Shocks win the season title. She has come in and made a big difference while putting up strong stats. If Sara gets back to her normal form (as she seems to be starting to do), I could see her as MVC Tourney MVP when we win the tourney. :good: I don't see anyone but ourselves beating us in the Valley.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The MVC seems to have a long running tradition of looking over any WSU student athlete when it comes to weekly honors. Baseball seems to do better that the other sports, but they just seem to show that they would rather give the award to someone from from one of the ISUs or Drake or EU before they give it to a member of one of the best teams in the league. Maybe they are trying to help their self-esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
              Because they put up consistant solid numbers which stand out over the course of time. One thing the valley has always seem to do with their player of the week is give it to the person who gets 20+ kills no matter their hitting percentage. That's always been pretty consistent for them.
              But that criteria still doesn't eliminate Emily. Her biggest problem is not getting set less than other players, but that we sweep people so often that she doesn't get over 20 kills (like last match with 18), but would have if the match went to four games.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I thought the one time we got slighted this year was when we had 3 of the 8 players on the preseason all valley team, yet got picked 2nd in the standings. I think Stockman, Harsh, Lundgren, Tokarz, and Broussard should all make the All-Valley team. I think Granville deserves it also for everything she does for this team, but the numbers probably won't stand out.

Also this year between volleyball players of the week and scholar athletes of the week we've had a Shocker named for an award 9 times. That's over 8 weeks so far I believe. I'd say they are getting recognized. If volleyball had the "newcomer of the week" like they do in basketball, Emily would probably be owning that category.

Comment

MVC PLAYER OF THE WEEK ABBY HARSH!! per goshockers.com

Comment

She deserves it! She pretty much plays error free volleyball. She doesn't have the serve of Panzau, but she does everything else just as good if not better.

Comment

Abby is very consistent and she generally makes very good decisions. You don't get to be the #24 team in the country without a top-notch setter IMHO.

Congrats to Abby.

Don't forget there are only 2 more chances to see Abby and her fellow senior Sara Lungren during the regular season.

That is this Friday against Drake and this Saturday against Creighton on what needs to be a big crowd on Senior Night.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                      X