Shocks v Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    I think Lambo's "spinning", as it is with most coaches in this day and age, is that a Coach has to be a half-time sports psychologist to maximize his team's and his players' performance.

Look at Brent Kemnitz. A large part of what he does is try to get brains right.

Speaking of Brent perhaps we should follow his positive-negative-positive approach in leveling criticism. Both of the team and each other.

Of course, with some of us posters find the positives can on occasion present a challenge. :D

Beyond that we should probably follow Lambo's advise and try to enjoy the ride. I know that 6 years ago WSU VB was not even on my radar screen. Now look where we are. Now that is a positive.

:goshocks:
    I agree on Brent and I never said "spinning" by Lamb was a bad thing. As you note, it is a fact that Lamb "spins" news at times.

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
    When faced with a volleyball coach's assessment that disagrees with your own, you'd rather accuse him of spinning the facts than admit you went overboard in your criticism. You never seem to accuse Lamb of spinning the facts whenever he is critical of how the team is playing. You'd rather assert that a player had an illness without any evidence than take note of the fact that that player had 3 dominate solo blocks and 5 blocks total alongside 15 kills and 12 digs.
    Mad, do you think WSU could beat UNI if the Shocks played with the same level of effort, execution, service errors, etc. that they showed against Indiana State? What about MSU?
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
      Speaking of Brent perhaps we should follow his positive-negative-positive approach in leveling criticism. Both of the team and each other.
      I didn't start out attacking Mad or complain about him. It is possible that I have been a bit defensive in the past, especially when I felt it was necessary for some WSU fan to admit to a painful fact about the volleyball team if Shocker fans wanted to hold their heads high as "honest fans" and nobody else was stepping to the plate. However, the dispute in this thread was started by The Mad Hatter.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Hitting was partially affected because the girls struggled in serve-receive and passing last night. Poor passes generally leads to poor sets and MEH also acknowledged her performance limitations last night. Add service errors into the equation and you can see how Indiana State was able to hang in there.

Our passing game was tough to watch because we're generally a better team. Why did Mel only get 6-7 digs when she normally doubles that number? Because coach moved her out of the middle-back position. Move her to MB and defensive confidence should improve.

MEH is a good setter. She can set the pins and read the opposition enough to dump the ball at key times, but she can't set the middle. Middle sets last night were just above the net - not a good thing. I thought the middles did a great job to compensate, but MEH needs to develop more consistency in placing the ball. She needs to mentally slow the game down and visualize where the middles will be positioned. Once she masters that skillset, then I believe she has the potential of becoming a great setter.

Our previous setters never had a problem setting the middles. Case in point, Tokarz had two very productive seasons with Abby Harsh. Not so much with MEH. She'll get there, but it's going to take time.

Comment

Expecting the volleyball team, or any team in any sport for that matter, to play perfect and flawless throughout an entire season is unreasonable. These are 18-22 year old young women (human beings).

For anyone to complain about a win, much less a sweep, in the Valley opener is pretty funny.

As for tonight, let's get another sweep ladies.

:posterwsu:
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
            Expecting the volleyball team, or any team in any sport for that matter, to play perfect and flawless throughout an entire season is unreasonable. These are 18-22 year old young women (human beings).

For anyone to complain about a win, much less a sweep, in the Valley opener is pretty funny.
            :good: :good:
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
            X