Great Eagle article today IMO...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Eagle article today IMO...

and in my eyes it applies as much to the fans as the players themselves. Also to me it can be applied to every sport. It's all about fun, excitment, and enjoyment. No matter what the results enjoy what we have the privilege of watching.

Excellent.

Enjoy the ride!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

A very insightful tactic by Chris Lamb. The question is: Can you force fun upon the players in a business-like atmosphere where winning isn't everything; it's the only thing? It goes to the old adage: winning in sports isn't always about the X's and O's, it is also about the Jimmys and Joes (or maybe Jennys and Zoes?).

IMO, this mindset has really affected the Shocker baseball program since the early 90's or maybe even since about 1986. The attitude around the program has been to "act like you've been there before" and it suppresses emotional outbursts that can carry a team to long stretches of playing well. The '08 team had some emotional leaders that pushed the team hard and when the team started really rolling at end of the season they got very emotional. Conversely, there have been very talented Shocker baseball teams that couldn't muster enough emotion to win in the postseason.

The '05-'06 basketball team clearly rode their emotional leaders to the S16. Braeuer and Cousinard especially did it on the court and Cam Ledford and Nick Rogers were the off-court emotional inspiration for that team. The next season virtually the same team couldn't find the fun and fell very flat.

You can't get all goofy, but having emotion and beyond everything having fun seems to bind teams together and when the talent is there helps teams amp it up enough to really excel. I'm not at all close to the VB program, but they appear to have very solid senior leadership-let's hope they can find the fun and emotion.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Working...
      X