Longest Winning Streak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Winning Streak

What is the longest Shocker winning streak? MVC?

Between 2004-2006 we won 29 consecutive Valley regular season matches.

The 2005 team won 25 straight before losing the last match of the year in the Valley tourney to MSU without Cori Meyer.

Don't get me started......................just leave it alone...............

Comment

Almost immediately after her hiring, Estes had her hands full. Since she had missed the recruiting process entirely because of her late hiring, there were only eight players on the roster. After adding three walk-ons and Janis Krohe, who had missed the previous season because of a serious knee injury, Estes had her first WSU team.

Seriously under-manned, WSU struggled the next two seasons. In 1979, the Shockers won only eight matches in an 8-34-3 campaign, which included a 1-15 start to the season. However, WSU didn't improve the following season as it set a school-record in futility by going winless in a 0-33-1 campaign, far and away the Shockers' most forgettable season ever.

After going 8-67-4 in her two years as head coach, Estes was out of a job, and WSU dropped its volleyball program. However, the absence was short-lived, as the athletic department reinstated volleyball after a two-year hiatus.

************************************************** ************************

In 1983, things got brighter as young Phil Shoemaker was hired to revive the dormant program. It didn't take long for him to return the Shockers to respectability either. An assistant at the University of Missouri from 1980-82, Shoemaker helped guide the Tigers to a 26-6 record the year before taking over at WSU.

During his 17-year run with the Shockers, Shoemaker attained nearly every coaching record in Shocker history, including wins (243), tenure (17 years), 20-win seasons (3) and all-conference honorees (13).

WOW!! I hope we can keep Chris Lamb this long (and he has increasing success over that time period).

After 17 seasons, head coach Phil Shoemaker resigned to take over the volleyball program at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. WSU hired former University of Arizona assistant coach Chris Lamb, a two-year member of the Wildcats staff, as the fifth Shocker volleyball coach in school history on January 18, 2000.

A Good Hire !!! :D

Other team records set in 2004 include a 13-match winning streak

The Shockers strived for perfection in 2005 and earned it with a perfect 18-0 mark in Missouri Valley Conference play to claim their second-straight regular-season title. WSU finished the season at 28-3 overall and during 2005 set school records for victories (28 ), conference victories (18 ), winning percentage (.903), winning streak (26), home winning streak (25), three-game sweeps (21), total attendance (23,976), average attendance (1,998), single match attendance (3,124), hitting percentage (.309) and kills per game (16.82).

:D :D :D
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Thanks Doc for the info- Man I hope we pound MSU in the ground Nov 2nd. Do you think we can win out all the way to winning MVC tournament championship?

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
          Thanks Doc for the info- Man I hope we pound MSU in the ground Nov 2nd. Do you think we can win out all the way to winning MVC tournament championship?
          With how we are playing right now, we certainly can win out. I wouldn't predict winning out, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
            With how we are playing right now, we certainly can win out. I wouldn't predict winning out, but it is not outside of the realm of possibility.
            For some reason, we played extremely poorly against UNI. In the third game, the team got its act together and won easily 30-14. The rest of the time, the players did not seem to be into the match. Scores: 23-30 28-30 30-14 29-31

If the team plays this poorly again, we could lose. Otherwise I expect us to win out all the way to winning MVC tournament championship. But who knows?
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

With no injuries and our A game, we are superior to every team on the schedule, regardless of where we play them.

It is not meant to be arrogant, but I have seen the teams play and our material is better, our coaching and preperation is in line and we should beat the other teams.

Our depth will help as well. Angela Jakubov was 1st team All Valley last year and had a hard time finding playing time earlier. We are deep and talented.

There are tough matches ahead, no doubt, but I would say its at least 60-40 that the ladies sweep to the Valley Tourney.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                For some reason, we played extremely poorly against UNI. In the third game, the team got its act together and won easily 30-14. The rest of the time, the players did not seem to be into the match. Scores: 23-30 28-30 30-14 29-31

If the team plays this poorly again, we could lose. Otherwise I expect us to win out all the way to winning MVC tournament championship. But who knows?

Who can figure out that UNI match? I hope they come out breathing fire in Cedar Falls and make amends for that lackluster display.

But, 1st things 1st, let's take care of business this weekend!!!!!

Comment

Doc: Do you have any idea why we played so poorly against UNI? I'm sure we are a much better team than Northern Iowa but I almost left at halftime of that match because we played so poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                    Doc: Do you have any idea why we played so poorly against UNI? I'm sure we are a much better team than Northern Iowa but I almost left at halftime of that match because we played so poorly.
                    We weren't playing real well in general at that time. As I understand it, that was the time when we were just starting to switch to a new system. The problem was that we were practicing one system while playing another, so until we fully put the new system in place, we were disjointed.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

We currently have a 25 match MVC regular season road winning streak which is also very impressive. Let's hope we extend that to 29 by the end of the season.

Something to shoot for: UNI Volleyball had a 69 match MVC winning streak from 1998 - 2001 which I believe is the all-time MVC record for any sport.

Realistically, this record is probably out of reach. At that time UNI was the dominant force in the MVC with a long history of success. The parity in the league now is going to make that kind of streak very, very diffucult to beat. But, what the heck we can try. We now have a 7 match MVC streak we are working on so we are 10% there. Hopefully, we say we are at 9 and counting after this weekend's matches.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                      X