2009 Attendance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Attendance

The Shockers sit at #7 in the nation in attendance after last weekend's action.

"Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

They must really love their Volleyball on the islands. I've always been very impressed with the way Hawaii fans support that program.

Shocks are going to need a few really big crowds. The MSU, UNI and Creighton matches should be the targets for moving up.

Comment

MVC STATISTICAL NOTES:
      Turnstiles Clicking
      The Valley has four schools averaging over 1,000+ fans in home matches, including two in the top-10 -- UNI (4th, 3,576 fans) and Wichita State (8th, 2,804 fans). Creighton (21st, 1,400 fans) and Illinois State (28th, 1,085 fans) also made the top-30 rankings. The MVC has the third-highest number of schools in the top-30, behind the Big 10 (seven schools) and the Big XII (five schools).

Isn't this a little embarrassing? To be behind UNI is sad. The season is early, of course.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

According to their schedule, they have had a grand total of two matches at home. One of them was against Iowa St, where they had a record crowd of 6126. The other match was seen by 1025.

At that pace (1025) we'll likely pass them after their next home game or at worst their next two.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          According to their schedule, they have had a grand total of two matches at home. One of them was against Iowa St, where they had a record crowd of 6126. The other match was seen by 1025.

At that pace (1025) we'll likely pass them after their next home game or at worst their next two.
          True but we're behind our 2008 average of 3177. If the goal is to increase our average, we might want to work harder on getting people to attend matches.

Too bad KSU isn't coming here; a sweep of the Kitties would be fun and would help attendance. :D
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

True but we're behind our 2008 average of 3177. If the goal is to increase our average, we might want to work harder on getting people to attend matches.

Too bad KSU isn't coming here; a sweep of the Kitties would be fun and would help attendance. :D
            Actually, by my count, through our first seven home games we are ahead of where we were at the same point last year.

Last year in our first seven home matches, we averaged 2,723 if I have calculated correctly. That means that we are pretty much on the same pace as last year.

The fact that we were working on an undefeated season last year probably boosted later ticket sales, so we may not be able to match that this year. However, match last year against Missouri State was included in the first seven average, while we still have that match yet to come this year. Additionally, we always have a big crowd against UNI (over 4,000 last year which really boosted our average) and I think that will be a large crowd again, even without an undefeated season in the works.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I agree and I was keeping this (i.e. who have we played at home so far) in the back of my head. However I am concerned about the effect of being undefeated last year (and our loss to Pitt this year) and would like to drum up support ASAP just in case there is a drop off in casual fans. However your point is valid.

Comment

I have to believe the economy is also providing some significant head winds this year vs last.

I am hoping we can rally and finish with an average around 3,000 for the year.

Comment

UNC@WSU 2445
                  Grambling State@WSU 3134
                  Oklahoma@WSU 3134
                  ORU@WSU 3018
                  Indiana State@WSU 2439
                  Illinois State@WSU 2652
                  UE@WSU 2326
                  SIU@WSU 2656
                  MSU@WSU 3608
                  DU@WSU 2523
                  CU@WSU 2084
                  BU@WSU 2659
                  UNI@WSU 4916

Average Attendance = 2892.
                  Total Attendance = 37,594.

Comment

Where does the final attendance rank WSU nationally in attendance?

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                      Where does the final attendance rank WSU nationally in attendance?
                      I don't know. We had over 3100 per match last year if I recall correctly. I think we will be Top Ten (but not Top Five) for 2009.

Comment

This is the latest information I could find on attendance.

Comment

Considering their location, UNI's numbers are impressive.

Comment

UNI's attendance has been okay, but take away the Iowa State match (6126), and their average isn't overly impressive. At least I have been frustrated all season that more people haven't gone.

Anyhow, here are some somewhat updated numbers (dated 11/30, but not all schools are quite up to date): http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ance113009.pdf

I know at least UNI's attendance wasn't quite up to date in that report (they only listed 9 home matches), and I have no idea how many other schools are in the same boat.

UNI's final home attendance figures: 11 matches, 21539 total, for a 1958 average.

I've always been impressed by the crowds the Shockers draw.

Comment

Originally posted by JayJ79
                              UNI's attendance has been okay, but take away the Iowa State match (6126), and their average isn't overly impressive. At least I have been frustrated all season that more people haven't gone.

Anyhow, here are some somewhat updated numbers (dated 11/30, but not all schools are quite up to date): http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ance113009.pdf

I know at least UNI's attendance wasn't quite up to date in that report (they only listed 9 home matches), and I have no idea how many other schools are in the same boat.

UNI's final home attendance figures: 11 matches, 21539 total, for a 1958 average.

I've always been impressed by the crowds the Shockers draw.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X