Tokarz MVC Scholar Athlete of the Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokarz MVC Scholar Athlete of the Week

In addition to her selection as MVC Defensive Player of the Week Stephanie Tokarz has been selected as the MVC Scholar Athlete of the Week.

Congratulations to Stephanie!

I like this award even more than the VB only awards because it recognizes outstanding performance both on the court and in the classroom.

Also, it's always nice to see a local young person do well.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Note to 83 Flyer - I put this on a new topic so that is sure to be noticed.

:clap:

These honors were awarded to Stephanie without consideration for her performance against ORU last night, which at least statistically, was her best match of the year. Perhaps 83 Flyer can shed some light on Stephanie's performance from a qualitative standpoint since he ( or she) was in attendance at the match.

Comment

Over the years Shocker women's athletics seems to have an outstanding record in regard to SCHOLAR-athletes. I'm always surprised at the number of women on the track, BB, and VB teams that carry a 3.8 GPA or higher (or who win academic honors of various kinds) while participating in Div. I sports. Congrats to Stephanie for being another in a long line.

:posterwu: :clap:
      The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Here is a recap of the awards won by Shocker VB players so far this year (the number following the athletes name is the number of times she has won this award this year):

MVC Scholar Athlete of the Week (I believe the MVC selects one male and one female receipient each week):
        Stephanie Tokarz (1)
        Abby Harsh (2)
        Kelly Broussard (2)

MVC Volleyball Player of the Week:
        Abby Harsh (2)

MVC Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week:
        Stephanie Tokarz (1)
        Kelly Broussard (2)

WSU T-Mobile Athlete of the Week:
        Abby Harsh (1)
        Kelly Broussard (1)
        Emily Stockman (1)

Hopefully, I did not miss any honors. I pulled this from the goShockers.com news headlines for Volleyball.

Congrats to all for the hard-earned and well deserved honors and thanks to all for being such outstanding representatives of WSU and our community. The latter goes for the entire VB team.

Interesting, that Emily Stockman has not won a MVC award yet despite many double-doubles on the year and also that Sara Lungren the reigning MVC POY has not been honored. What that tells me is the Shockers are a better team this year because they are better balanced.

However, I'm sure if you ask the Coaches and Players the awards they would really like to have are the MVC Championship Trophy and MVC Tournament Championship Trophy.

Comment

My guess is that Stephanie will be the next T-Mobile Athlete of the Week.

:yes:

Comment

Originally posted by tgcshock
            Over the years Shocker women's athletics seems to have an outstanding record in regard to SCHOLAR-athletes. I'm always surprised at the number of women on the track, BB, and VB teams that carry a 3.8 GPA or higher (or who win academic honors of various kinds) while participating in Div. I sports. Congrats to Stephanie for being another in a long line.

:posterwu: :clap:
            I think you can add tennis, softball and golf to your list. In fact, our entire athletic program does a very good job in this regard, both women and men.

As Cold likes to say - It's a great time to be a Shocker!

Comment

I am shocked that half way thru the season more of our team has not been awarded for their performance on the court. We have by far the best talent from our number 1 player thru number 20. Only 9 or 10 see much court time, but our performances have been very good and getting better. We must win the Valley tourney and move on to some better matches.
              GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stThings1st
                I am shocked that half way thru the season more of our team has not been awarded for their performance on the court. We have by far the best talent from our number 1 player thru number 20. Only 9 or 10 see much court time, but our performances have been very good and getting better. We must win the Valley tourney and move on to some better matches.
                I'm sure there is some pressure to spread the wealth around to keep everyone happy (a job I would not really want).

Look at Drake Freshman Angela Bys who had 27 kills against MSU in a 4 game match. Of course the Shocks held her to 8 kills and 8 errors in 30 swings the next night. Nevertheless, there are a lot of good VB players in the MVC, especially among the Top 5 teams.

Of course, we know what the really important awards are - Championships.

Comment

Working...
                X