WSU preseason ranking? Guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU preseason ranking? Guess

WSU finished a dream season last year. The Shocks were #18 in the final poll and only lose two regular players. I think WSU starts at #15 because of our 2008 ranking, spring victory over Nebraska and loaded roster.

What is your prediction?

Look here http://www.avca.org/divisions/division-one-women/polls/ for the preseason poll when it comes out.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

#20 in the program #1 in our hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
      #20 in the program #1 in our hearts.
      I think we deserve higher, but my guess is somewhere between 20 and 25.

Spangler - I think we probably ought to be in the 14 to 16 range, but, while we are building credentials as a perennial top 25 team, I don't think the name recognition is high enough yet to overcome getting bumped behind some middle of the pack Pac 10 programs. I hope I'm wrong, though.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I'll agree that the 20,21,22 spot is where the team falls, probably should be higher, but relatively speaking WSU is still new to this realm of power in volleyball, so perhaps Chris can use it to motivate the girls to go out and prove they should be higher

Comment

Top 16 enough said.
          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

# 10....I like my glasses thank you very much.

Comment

Has the team ever been ranked in the pre-season polls? I say they will be just out of the top 25, like #27. My faith in the system is extremely low. The team really should be in the top 10 but that would offend too many prominant people and WSU would end up with some sort of recruitting violation.

Comment

I'm going say we come in at #17. Primarily on the strength of the number of players returning from last year's strong team. I don't think the Spring win over Nebraska will count for much, but hey, you never know for sure.

Angela Jakubov was a wonderful Shock-her for four years but can be replaced and pretty much was in the second half of last season.

Kelly Broussard on the other hand is a key loss. It will be interesting to see who steps into the Libero position and how much we will miss Kelly's oustanding play and leadership. My guess is that Sarah Waldorf would be the leading candidate.

Melissa Granville could also fill in there but I think she is more valuable the way Lambo used her with Kelly last year. Melissa brings a lot of smarts and versatility to the floor in that role.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                  I'm going say we come in at #17. Primarily on the strength of the number of players returning from last year's strong team. I don't think the Spring win over Nebraska will count for much, but hey, you never know for sure.

Angela Jakubov was a wonderful Shock-her for four years but can be replaced and pretty much was in the second half of last season.

Kelly Broussard on the other hand is a key loss. It will be interesting to see who steps into the Libero position and how much we will miss Kelly's oustanding play and leadership. My guess is that Sarah Waldorf would be the leading candidate.

Melissa Granville could also fill in there but I think she is more valuable the way Lambo used her with Kelly last year. Melissa brings a lot of smarts and versatility to the floor in that role.

:goshocks:
                  Unless she has an injury or some other problem occurs, Melissa will be the beginning of the season Libero. However, Chris will change lineups quickly if they are not working; look at Stephanie Tokarz and Angela Jakubov last year. I think Melissa will do a wonderful job as Libero and will keep the job all year.
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Volleyball Magazine Preseason Top 20 poll:
                    1. Penn State
                    2. Texas
                    3. Nebraska
                    4. Washington
                    5. Stanford
                    6. California
                    7. Hawaii
                    8. Minnesota
                    9. Florida
                    10. UCLA
                    11. Iowa State
                    12. USC
                    13. Illinois
                    14. Oregon
                    15. Michigan
                    16. San Diego
                    T17. Wichita State
                    T17. Saint Louis
                    19. Utah
                    20. Santa Clara

Comment

One comment on VolleyTalk:
                      I have never put much stock in the Volleyball Mag poll. But, that being said, my thoughts:

Too high:
                      Hawaii, UCLA, Iowa State, Oregon, and Wichita State

Too low:
                      Florida, USC, Illinois

http://www.texassports.com/sports/w-volley/spec-rel/080509aab.html Volleyball ranked No. 2 in Volleyball Magazine Preseason Poll After reaching the NCAA Semifinals in 2008, Texas debuts

I think we need to start winning the MVC tourney. #17 sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

From what I've seen, most of the haters on VT always point to one game in the MVC tournament when discussing WSU. They clearly don't respect the league.

I agree, we need to win it this year.

Comment

I wish WSU had some representatives/posters on VT. (Which VT? In this case, VolleyTalk and not ValleyTalk. :D ) I've seen WuDrWu and maybe MadHatter? Maybe Royal? It's not a big deal but the "minor" conferences usually don't have a lot of posters. WSU should be really good in 2009 and it would be nice to get some notice.

I mentioned one example of a negative comment but I actually think a lot of people on VT are starting to give WSU some respect. Nebraska fans seem to be on WSU's side; most think the Shocks will be good this year. For some reason, Chris Lamb rubs other teams' fans the wrong way; however, I love having a coach who won't back down and who stands up for his program.

This is a great year to be a WSU volleyball fan. The team should be really, really good and fun to watch. Other teams are "stacking the (attendance) deck" with special deals like Illinois, UNC, Duke having (basketball) midnight madness + free volleyball (15,000 attendance for one VB match, 1000 per match for the rest) and we'll have to increase our attendance to stay in the Top 5 in average attendance.

Comment

They don't like the way Lambo complained to the media the year the Shocks were snubbed. They continue to hold it against him and WSU. A deep tourney run or knocking off a national power or two is the only thing that will shut them up.

When the season gets going I'm sure I'll do more lurking and maybe some posting on VT.

Comment

Weren't there a number of coaches across the country that thought we were screwed as well? I do recall quite a bit of support but maybe it was only from coaches "lesser" schools...
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X