Support from the fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support from the fans?

WSU gets great attendance support from the fans. We should try to improve our average attendance from 3177 in 2008 to 3500 in 2009. Please try to attend. http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...09/VBAtt08.pdf

Football fans can show their willingness to attend WSU fall sporting events by attending volleyball games and letting Eric Sexton know you're prepared to attend both volleyball and football games in future years. Don Beggs will not remain as President for many more years.

Attendance is not really the topic of this thread, however. The topic is WSU's schedule. We only played one preseason Top Ten team, #10 Cal Poly, in 2008. We were scheduled to play #6 Cal (University of California, Berkeley) in 2009 but they chickened out. What does it take to play more Top Ten or Top 25 teams every year?

Why does in matter? WSU has attended three NCAA WVB tourneys. Each time, we easily beat the first round team and then had to play one of the Top 4 teams, Nebraska (twice) and Texas, at their homes in the second round. If we are a national seed, we get to avoid other national seeds (e.g. Nebraska, Texas) until the third round (or later). Of course, in 2005 WSU had a great team (18-0 in regular season MVC play) but didn't play any top teams and were not invited to the NCAA tourney.

The RPI is largely ignored by the NCAA WVB Selection committee. What matters is how you played against the top teams. It doesn't matter much if you play at home or play on the road. You have to play top teams.

Look at the 2009 schedule of Saint Louis University. #1 Penn State #4 Texas #6 Cal #7 Hawaii #10 (?) Illinois http://www.slubillikens.com/sports/w...ley-sched.html

What holds WSU back from playing this kind of schedule? MONEY? SUPPORT FROM THE AD? FEAR OF PLAYING TOP TEAMS? What?

Our Tasks: 1. Identify the problems. 2. Find solutions.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Did today's WSU Sunflower include any coverage of volleyball? The online version http://www.thesunflower.com/web/isite.dll?1179197247531 has a story about Sara (Former Shocker named head volleyball coach at Cheney) but nothing about the nation's #18 volleyball team. (Congrats to Sara Lungren!!!)
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Look at the media support from the student newspaper that Colorado State volleyball receives: http://media.www.collegian.com/media...-3756144.shtml
      I've missed volleyball
      Matt L. Stephens
      Issue date: 8/24/09 Section: Sports

Comment

From the CSU article, we have:

So where do the Rams go from here? That's a question I had been asking myself all summer until I went to volleyball's Media Day last week. The answer was so simple that I couldn't believe I didn't think of it myself.

While doing an interview for my video blog with senior libero Katelin Batten, I asked her what the expectations were for the team this season. In her answer, she said something that really stood out.

"There's no pressure on us this year."

That's it. What a selling point. Batty hit the nail on the head right there. Last season the Rams had arguably the most talented team ever coached by Tom Hilbert during his tenure at Colorado State, but the end result was another second round exit from the NCAA Tournament. There was no question about the great talent and coaching on this CSU squad last year; they peaked with a No. 12 ranking nationally.

There was so much pressure on the team heading into the season last year that I think it's one of the main reasons why it ended the way it did. Granted, I'm not out on the floor wearing spandex every week (yes, your mind has just been scarred for life with that image), but that's my 2-cents.

This year's team has that whole underdog thing going for them, ranking second in the Mountain West Conference preseason poll behind Utah and a No. 24 national ranking in the AVCA poll. While the marquee names like Fornstrom, Barnes and Strauss are no longer wearing the green and gold, you still have a lot of talent on this squad -- athletes who could easily propel this team to a MWC championship.

Will the WSU volleyball players put too much pressure on themselves this year? Is this why we lost to MSU in the MVC tourney last year?

Comment

One area of support that has been below par, in my opinion, has been the student support. It was much better last season and, hopefully, it will continue to build from there.

However, due to current economic conditions I am not setting my hopes to high for a big jump (if any) in our average attendance this year.

Hopefully, Shocker Students and Fans will make me eat those words by the end of this season. I would love a plate of BBQ Crow at the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
            Will the WSU volleyball players put too much pressure on themselves this year? Is this why we lost to MSU in the MVC tourney last year?
            I think you have to give some credit to MSU. The Shocks absolutely dominated the Lady Bears in Springfield to close out the perfect regular season. Maybe the Shocks were over-confident in the MVC Tournament or maybe it was just anti-climactic after finsihing off the perfect regular season.

In any case, I thought MSU played a very good match in defeating the Shocks in the Tourney and I expect MSU to give the Shocks a strong challenge for the MVC title this year. They have very good athletes and are well coached. Those will be two very good matches with perhaps a 3rd meeting in the MVC Tournament.

Comment

We have and will dominate Missouri State. We have better players in every single position. Our weakness is post-season MVC tournament. It always seams like we wear down our players by the end of the year. Look at the mins played and 9 or 10 play most of the time and by the end of the season they are worn down. We just don't sub much even when we are pounding someone into the court. Our 9 or 10 horses are tired come tournamnet time.
              GO SHOX!

Comment

I don't believe that.
                First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Senior libero Melissa Granville will be writing weekly articles on Shocker volleyball. Check back every Monday afternoon for a new article.

Shock Talk - Mel is the belle
                  (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/b...-the-ball.html)

Comment

I absolutely refuse to talk about Pentathalon event #2.

Refuse.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      I absolutely refuse to talk about Pentathalon event #2.

Refuse.

:innocent:

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                      X