Shocks vs Salukis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Salukis

Big match tonight yet again. SIU gave MSU a stern test last night but fell short in 4 games.

WSU is a team that at times is dominant and yet at other times can be very beatable. Last night was no exception. Evansville played lights out last night but was simply too short handed to come away with the win. I'm certain this is my bias talking but it is a little frustrating to get everyone's best shot when our ladies take the court.

The usual crowd of around 2000 will be there to cheer on their beloved team.

Those of you staying home :rant: . We enjoyed a fun game last night. It was fast paced, well played and the Shocks won. The pep band was there and in mid season form and if this morning was any indication, they will be there again tonight.

I feel like the guy from Jewelry Savers on the radio ads......I don't know what it's going to take to make the rest of you get off your butts and get to the games.......

OK Doc. You convinced me; I'll go to the game. 8) This should break the logjam and encourage the flood of people to attend. :D
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Trying to do my part, bringing what hopefully turns into a new fan with me.

Comment

Shocks were super :good: in game 1, solid in game 2 and then destroyed SIU in game 3.

The myiad of choices Abby set to tonight was fantastic to watch. Katie on the slide, Emily from the back row, Lindsey on the left, Stephanie in the middle, Katie all over the place......WSU went to the pantry and opened a can all over the Salukis.

The first game was a thing of beauty. SIU dug the heck out things but WSU just kept sizzling the pits of the not so ugly dawgs and dispatched the Salukis quickly and efficiently.

Another exciting evening of Shocker Volleyball. It was nice to see some of the bench get in late, ESPECIALLY Sarah McGee who finished off the match with a block. I have a feeling she is going to be the next real deal for the Shocks.

Great game ladies!!!! BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG game this weekend against MSU in Springfield.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu:

Comment

Right on Doc. The Shocks looked as good as I have seen them all year.

I took two friends with me tonight who have attended matches in the past, but this was there first look at this year's version of the Shocks.

One of them asked me before the match if this would be a sweep by the Shocks, and I said I wouldn't count on it. Based on what SIU did at MSU last night I was expecting at least 4 games and wouldn't be totally shocked it it went 5.

Well, the ladies made me look really dumb (which I guess is not that hard to do when I think about it). They dominated the match and made SIU look very ordinary in the process. As you say, a very well balanced attack by the Shocks who played very well in all phases of the game.

The Shocks are gradually putting the pieces together and are continuing to improve. Hopefully, they will peak at year end.

BTW, in case you didn't catch the scores the Shocks swept SIU by scores of 30-18, 30-22 and 30-11 which is pretty much a blowout by VB standards.

Next Friday at Spirngfield should be a terrrific match if recent history is any guide.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

A special tip of the hat to Lindsey Eckenrode who had far and away her best match of the season.

Lindsey played quite a bit last year as a freshman, but with the addition of Emily Stockman this year, Lindsey has found her self on the bench more often than not this year. To her credit, she did not hang her head and pout but has kept working hard and apparently has now worked her way back into some signficant playing time.

While Lindsey did lead the team in kills tonight, the balance was just terrific. Look at these attack lines:

Lindsey Eckenrode 0.375 (12-3-24)
            Stephanie Tokarz 0.400 (11-3-20)
            Emily Stockman 0.200 (10-4-30)
            Katie Niggemeyer 0.333 (9-2-21)
            Sara Lungren 0.353 (8-2-17)

SIU had to players with 6 kills each, but it took them 55 swings to get those. As a team, the Shocks outhit SIU 0.306 to 0.40.

72 defensive digs, with more than a few spectacular saves, led by Kelly Broussard (24), Emily Stockman (16), Melissa Granville (15) and Sara Lungren (13). When your big hitters chip in 29 digs in 3 games you know you have a well rounded team.

Hopefully, this level of play will carryover to next Friday and beyond.

Comment

Before the match at the pregame chalk talk, Lamb said that to do what he wants to do with the rotation, he needed someone to step up as a big kill person on the left side in addition to Emily. If he can find that person, he can move Emily around in the rotation to get her more backrow looks. If Lindsey plays like she did tonight, she will take that role, and will make our lineup even more balanced and explosive from more parts of the floor.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

I think Stephanie will be a real force in the Valley next year; she has improved greatly over last year. I wonder why Sarah McGee doesn't play more; is she still hurt?
                Some other players have stayed positive even though they have not been on the court much (for example: Amanda Moore, Kim Wadsworth).
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                  I think Stephanie will be a real force in the Valley next year; she has improved greatly over last year. I wonder why Sarah McGee doesn't play more; is she still hurt?
                  Some other players have stayed positive even though they have not been on the court much (for example: Amanda Moore, Kim Wadsworth).
                  Yesterday was the first day that McGee was fully suited up to play since her hand injury. As good as she is, unless Lamb decides to move Katie to the left (which doesn't seem necessary with how Lindsey played), McGee will probably be limited to mop up play. The rotation in the middle with Stephanie and Katie isn't likely to change anytime soon.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Mad: I agree that Katie is doing great, including her serves. I love to see Lindsey play; she spikes the ball with authority. However, at 6'3" Sarah may be our second tallest player next year and she needs some game experience.

BTW: Stephanie cannot be 6'5" tall. When the players stand together during a timeout, Stephanie looks a lot more than one inch taller than Sara and five inches taller than Emily. My guess is that Stephanie is closer to 6'7" than to 6'5".

Comment

It was interesting to see Emily and Katie staying on the floor with their serves in Game 3. That was the first I have seen of that.

I thought Emily's soft serving was actually pretty effective.

This team continues to incorporate new things and appears to be a very versatile VB team.

SF316, good point about other team members keeping good attitudes. Angela Jakubov did not play that much tonight because Lindsey, Stephanie and Katie were playing very well. However, I wouldn't count Angela out. All of these ladies are apparently working very hard in practice and making each other better in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                        Mad: I agree that Katie is doing great, including her serves. I love to see Lindsey play; she spikes the ball with authority. However, at 6'3" Sarah may be our second tallest player next year and she needs some game experience.

BTW: Stephanie cannot be 6'5" tall. When the players stand together during a timeout, Stephanie looks a lot more than one inch taller than Sara and five inches taller than Emily. My guess is that Stephanie is closer to 6'7" than to 6'5".
                        The problem with rotations in volleyball is that you can't get experience for your backups like you can in other sports. You have a limited number of subs, and you can get stuck in a rotation where you give up a huge run of points, so even with a large lead, putting in backups can be risky. Nonetheless, I'm sure that Lamb wants to get reps for McGee, but it won't come in competitive matches.

As for Stephanie's height, I thought the same thing looking at her next to Sara, but after looking more closely, I think she is only an inch taller than her. If you look again, Sara usually stands with her legs a foot or two apart, her knees slightly bent and her back bent. Stephanie, on the other hand, has usually has her feet together and her back perfectly straight. Therefore I think posture is the main reason for the appearance of more height disparity than there really is.

Comment

That was a fun match to watch. Everyone swang well. That was probably the best match I've seen Stephanie play. I think if Sara didn't get hurt a month ago she'd be playing in Katie's spot, but Katie has earned the right to be on the court with her play since then. I see Sara being a very solid middle next by next year with Katie moving to the right in Lungrens spot. The depth we have is a nice problem to have as long as everyone stays upbeat and full of energy.

Comment

Working...
                          X