Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SB Shock
    Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Wait, you're saying the 7 or 8,000 a match that WSU would likely draw isn't a $$$ factor compared to the 500 that'll show up in Dayton? I think that would cover the airline ticket prices just fine.
    Your making a ASSumption that WSU was competing against Dayton. I very much doubt they were. If you look at the field and hosts, you can see they were trying to cut travel down by air as much as possible.

And really, how do you know Dayton is a cheap flight in?
    Well since they are pretty much a subard of Cincinnati its probably a no-brainer that flying into Dayton area is cheaper. But that is just a straw-man argument any way. They chose Dayton because for location relative to the other participants.

The NCAA has a memo out there where they say:

Originally posted by NCAA Memo on Travel

Newspapers and television seem to have daily reports on rising airfares and surcharges, while the airlines are reducing the number of flights and seats available.

A majority of invitations to participate in postseason NCAA Championships are awarded within seven days or less of the NCAA Championship happening. Because many sports have large travel parties, and because travel arrangements for NCAA Championships are made at the last minute, more prudent travel cost management must happen.

The NCAA has conducted a comprehensive Travel Cost/Capacity study and made several recommendations to the legislative bodies of the NCAA membership.

Among the recommendations the NCAA staff has offered are:
    Announcement selection timing and departure from campus for the team, adjusting practice sessions to accommodate travel, avoiding cities with high travel costs, and further adjusting brackets to encourage less flying to championships.

They are also considering adjusting bracketing to place regional sites more geographically regardless of seeding, and in some sports eliminating the rule which attempted to avoid conference match-ups early in the bracket.

The NCAA is also recommending an amendment to their policy on reimbursement for extra bags and equipment. They project a possible $1.5 million expense in baggage surcharges. The NCAA is also exploring options to ground ship some equipment for participants.

During the 2007-08 athletic season, the NCAA spent $42.6 million in travel expenses relating to NCAA Championships in all three divisions. It was a 52.6 percent increase in its travel expenses over the past three years.

Last year in Division I, the NCAA spent nearly $29 million in travel expenses for the championships, which was an increase of 58 percent over the last three years.

They should have just came out and said that an undefeated season wouldn't have been good enough to host and neither were your 3,000 fans a game.
    I believe they just did.
    ... and they also confirmed that flights to and from Wichita Mid-Continent suck!
    SFL is back!

Comment

I was told by a serious WSU VB fan that our loss to MSU cost us a seed. He said that on the ESPNU VB show, one member (the chair of the selection committee? ) said exactly this.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        I was told by a serious WSU VB fan that our loss to MSU cost us a seed. He said that on the ESPNU VB show, one member (the chair of the selection committee? ) said exactly this.
        That's lame! No way to spin that logic otherwise.

Comment

Dayton got whacked 3-1. Probable be 5 people there tomorrow HAHAHAHA
          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shock10
            HAHAHA!

Good! Less money for the screwy NCAA! :good:
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

HAHAHA!

The NCAA will get whatever Dayton bid. They may lose out on some gate receipts, assuming Dayton fans didn't buy their tickets in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                HAHAHA!

The NCAA will get whatever Dayton bid. They may lose out on some gate receipts, assuming Dayton fans didn't buy their tickets in advance.
                True. Still, it makes the NCAA look like idiots. I'd be interested to see what Dayton submitted for a bid and then how it compared to WSU's.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Has anyone heard a definitive answer as to why Dayton got the bid? Cinicinnati would have made more sense, but the NCAA sent them to Champaige, IL. The Shox should have hosted Tulane (closer for them), keep K St here, and had LSU, Albany, or Siena as a 4 seed instead of sending all three to the west coast. Not hosting, I'd rather have gone to KY where St L is the #1 seed, send Michigan to Dayton and ship W. KY to Texas. Better yet, as far as the team is concerned, would have been to gone to Dayton and W. Ky still goes to Texas. Much more sense seeding wise.
                  :goshocks: :goshocks:

Comment

I agree that WSU pretty much got the shaft. I'm confident VB is a lot like baseball. It's pretty much a "good ole boy/gal network".

Baseball never would have gotten regionals if the process hadn't been mainly based on bids, so the NCAA changed that. The "new kid on the block" isn't going to get any breaks.

The best we can do with what happened is to realize that if we're going to make noise in the tourney, we're going to have to beat the top teams. If there's any goal less than beating the top teams, then we have the wrong attitude.

Texas gives us a chance to play and beat a top team. You've got to do that to improve and achieve goals.

Playing Texas on a neutral court would be a great game. Playing them in Austin is substantially more challenging.

We're the third seed? Someone's got to be kidding. I hope the players can use that for motivation.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh
                      I agree that WSU pretty much got the shaft. I'm confident VB is a lot like baseball. It's pretty much a "good ole boy/gal network".

Baseball never would have gotten regionals if the process hadn't been mainly based on bids, so the NCAA changed that. The "new kid on the block" isn't going to get any breaks.

The best we can do with what happened is to realize that if we're going to make noise in the tourney, we're going to have to beat the top teams. If there's any goal less than beating the top teams, then we have the wrong attitude.

Texas gives us a chance to play and beat a top team. You've got to do that to improve and achieve goals.

Playing Texas on a neutral court would be a great game. Playing them in Austin is substantially more challenging.

We're the third seed? Someone's got to be kidding. I hope the players can use that for motivation.
                      I concur completely! Now is the time to step it up and get it done. WSU has a little tradition with knocking off Texas when they are favored in the national tourny. Lets keep it going and get it done girls!!! Time to set the record straight once again and prove that we belong just like its 1989!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X