2008 MVC Post-Season Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 MVC Post-Season Tournament

While I hate to lose any match, I would normally say the MVC Post-Season Tournament would not be that important.

Normally, we would figure to have an NCAA Berth wrapped up and we could expect to go to Lincoln as a #2 seed.

However, this is far from a normal year. This has been a SPECIAL YEAR in Shocker sports history regardless of what happens from here on out. Nevertheless, the Shocks have put themselves in a position to make this an EXTRA-SPECIAL YEAR.

The #1 goal at this point IMO is to secure a sub-regional hosting assignment. Have we done enough by going udefeated in the regular season, or do we need to do more? I don't know, but if 2005 could happen, then anything can happen. At a minimum, we may need to make it to the Championship game on Saturday. To be sure (or at least as sure as we can be), we need to win this Tournament.

Hosting a sub-regional would give the Shockers by far their best shot ever at making the Sweet 16.

A Sweet 16 appearance and high final ranking sure can't hurt Lambo's recruiting efforts, although I think he enjoys finding the unfinished diamonds in the rough too.

I'm not sure any of the other MVC teams are a lock at this point to make the NCAA Tournament, although I think CU and UNI are strong candidates. In any case, motivation will be high for the other five teams in the tournament and you can darn well expect they will be giving every thing they have to win this Tournament and I don't expect this to be a cakewalk for the Shockers (i.e. see Illinois State in 2007).

Good, intense competition with a lot on the line. Should be fun.

Hope to see great support from Shocker nation this weekend.

:clap: :goshocks: :clap:

I hope there is a big turnout on Friday (& Saturday). Please attend and bring your friends. WSU students pay only $1 per session; cheering for the Shocks on Friday and Saturday is a great way to burn off some of those Thanksgiving dinner calories. Shocker basketball and baseball fans should come out because public enthusiasm for one sport (e.g. volleyball) improves recruitment not merely for that sport but for all Shocker sports. Seeing a huge crowd on television (e.g. FSN) Saturday night would be great for Shocker sports.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Here is the link to the MVC Volleyball Tournament Central site:

Comment

Missouri State hosted last year's Tournament. Here are the attendance figures by session (keep in mind MSU was knocked out in Round 1 by Illinois State):

Round 1: 395
        Semi-Finals: 427
        Championship: 259

Of the 5 matches there was only 1 sweep. 3 went 4 sets and the Shockers lost in the Semi-Finals in 5 sets to Illinois State.

Illinois State hosted in 2006. The Tournament was held on Friday and Saturday with the 1st Round and Semi-Finals both on Friday.

Fridays attendance was 641 and the attendance for Saturday's championship match was 412.

Shocks lost to MSU in the Semi-Finals in 5 sets.

The 2005 Tournament was held at Northern Iowa. The #1 Shocks, who also went 18-0 in MVC regular season play were swept by #2 seeded Missouri State in the Championship Match followed on Sunday by one of the biggest, if not the biggest, snubs ever by an NCAA selection committee.

As I said before, winning this Tournament is no slam dunk.

Don't assume your support of the team is not needed. I know it is appreciated by the team and the Coaches.

Let's show the rest of the MVC how to support a post-season Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
          I hope there is a big turnout on Friday (& Saturday). Please attend and bring your friends. WSU students pay only $1 per session; cheering for the Shocks on Friday and Saturday is a great way to burn off some of those Thanksgiving dinner calories. Shocker basketball and baseball fans should come out because public enthusiasm for one sport (e.g. volleyball) improves recruitment not merely for that sport but for all Shocker sports. Seeing a huge crowd on television (e.g. FSN) Saturday night would be great for Shocker sports.

I will personally reimburse any and every student that wants to go and cannot afford or does not want to pay for the ticket. Simply PM me and I will send you the money. If you think I am kidding, try me.

Comment

I plan on showing up as long as there are no family obligations that pop up between now and then.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You would think that at $1.00 you would get a couple thousand male students in attendance just for the scenery! :blink:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                You would think that at $1.00 you would get a couple thousand male students in attendance just for the scenery! :blink:

Seriously, I have internally questioned the masculinity of our male student body populace for some time now. It's that or we have an unusually large number of sight challenged currently enrolled.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Seriously, I have internally questioned the masculinity of our male student body populace for some time now. It's that or we have an unusually large number of sight challenged currently enrolled.
                  Doc, some things may be best left internalized! :lol:

Comment

Don't assume your support of the team is not needed. I know it is appreciated by the team and the Coaches.

The coaches absolutely appreciate our support.

A few weeks ago after being out of town for a weekend, that the volleyball team was also on a road swing. I was shopping at Dillons, and noticed a lady with a Wichita State volleyball polo on. And asked her if she knew if the volleyball team had won that weekend or not. (I hadn't had time to check shockernet yet) Anyway the lady ended up being Mrs. Lamb. She and I talked about the team and the games so far, and she thanked me for supporting Chris and the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox151

The coaches absolutely appreciate our support.

A few weeks ago after being out of town for a weekend, that the volleyball team was also on a road swing. I was shopping at Dillons, and noticed a lady with a Wichita State volleyball polo on. And asked her if she knew if the volleyball team had won that weekend or not. (I hadn't had time to check shockernet yet) Anyway the lady ended up being Mrs. Lamb. She and I talked about the team and the games so far, and she thanked me for supporting Chris and the team.
                      I had a similar experience. I saw the Coaches Lamb in the Fun Zone with their daughters at halftime of the WBB game on Sunday. I asked Ms. Coach about who was coming next year and about any feel they had for the possibility of hosting a regional. I thanked her for her time, and she thanked me for my interest.

Comment

What the hell is a flying Moose? A moose can't fly! Trust me, I know a lot of mooses and none of them can fly.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                          What the hell is a flying Moose? A moose can't fly! Trust me, I know a lot of mooses and none of them can fly.

Comment

My younger daughter and I talked with Melissa Granville and her mom and brother at Dillions earlier today. Very nice people. I hope she understood my jokes and that my comments were not all serious. (Who is this Penn State team, anyway? :D ) OK, almost all of my comments. :lol:

I think the team is focused and ready to play well. Kelly and Melissa (plus Emily, Sarah, etc.) are keys to our defense. Melissa and Emily have nice serves (along with Lindsey, Amanda, etc.). I'm just excited about the upcoming volleyball matches.

On VolleyTalk, simplycurious wrote:
                            Perhaps that's true, but to have that many people on the roster of an undefeated team at this point in the season is a testament to the coaching staff for keeping so many people happy, as well as continuing the team's success. http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...d=24468&page=6
                            While I agree with this, I think this team is made up of very special players who are willing to work hard and sacrifice for the good of the team. Compare this team with 2006-7 WSU MBB team (or the current Creighton MBB team ).

I would be proud to have any of these young ladies as a daughter. (Maybe I could adopt Melissa as a third daughter? Think of the discounts available to members of the immediate family of a Star Bucks employee. :lol: No, she has a great family already. :good: ) And, of course,
                            :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Marty, don't lie to me. I've seen you flying on at least a couple of occasions. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X