Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks vs Bradley (Friday) & UNI (Saturday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"
    However, I still have a major quandry! Shocker Maniacs (perhaps a misnomer) Where Art Thou! Oh Brother, the team would love a give student turn out."

My suggestion to some in the marketing last year to help fix this would be to scan maniac cards at a random time during matches and games in the maniac section which would force them to stay if they show up. Last year there'd by a lot more cards scanned at volleyball games then people who showed up.

The other problem is there still isn't that many showing up and that's a whole different situation to try and change.
    Another idea that would help is if they would allow students to pick up their tickets early. I know I tried to pick mine up yesterday since I am stuck here at work until 6:45 and I won't even be able to make it to campus until at least 7:15 and then I will have to walk over to the ticket office instead of just going in the East Entrance. I figure I'll miss at least the entire first game of the match if not more. IF this was UMKC and this was the situation there would be no reason to even attend, since the match would be 1/2 over.

Comment

Tough loss for the Shocks. Looked like they were still jet lagged in Games 1 and 2 with UNI dominiating the Shocks at the net. Also, I don't recall the Shockers ever making so many service reception errors on serves that should have been handled.

Shocks looked great in Game 3 and I thought that maybe the tough match UNI had last night was starting to take a toll on UNI. However, I have to give UNI credit for hanging tough and squeezing out a win in Game 4 for the match. Tonight anyway UNI was the better team.

UNI probably did as good a job as any team we have played this year in controlling Emily Stockman holding her to a 0.163 hitting %.

Sara Lungren had a pretty solid game. I did find it interesting that Lambo felt the need to sub for both Sara and Abby a couple of times in Game 4 on a couple of service reception situations, although I don't think it had much to do with the outcome of the match.

Kelly Broussard was outstanding as usual.

I thought Katie Niggemeyer looked good with somehwhat limited opportunities getting 6 kills (6-1-11 = 0.455) and 3 block assists.

Angela Jakubov had a tough night after a stellar performance agaisnt Bradley last night.

Attendance was 2,294. No comment.

Shocks now need to pick up a win on the road against one of the contenders. Similar to the position the found themselves in last year.

A lot of Volleyball left and the Shockers are definitely capable of overcoming this loss IMHO.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WSU and Reds Fan
        "
        However, I still have a major quandry! Shocker Maniacs (perhaps a misnomer) Where Art Thou! Oh Brother, the team would love a give student turn out."

My suggestion to some in the marketing last year to help fix this would be to scan maniac cards at a random time during matches and games in the maniac section which would force them to stay if they show up. Last year there'd by a lot more cards scanned at volleyball games then people who showed up.

The other problem is there still isn't that many showing up and that's a whole different situation to try and change.
        Another idea that would help is if they would allow students to pick up their tickets early. I know I tried to pick mine up yesterday since I am stuck here at work until 6:45 and I won't even be able to make it to campus until at least 7:15 and then I will have to walk over to the ticket office instead of just going in the East Entrance. I figure I'll miss at least the entire first game of the match if not more. IF this was UMKC and this was the situation there would be no reason to even attend, since the match would be 1/2 over.
        Perhaps an E-mail to the Shocker AD's office might get some consideration for that idea.

Comment

Game 4 was definitely gut wrenching. 13 ties and 5 lead changes.

I was pretty deflated when the Shockers let it get away at the end.

:(

Comment

I'm in a really grumpy mood.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Our inability to receive serve and to force UNI to pass poorly in games 1 and 2 was awful.

Kelly had uncharacteristic trouble with serve early, giving at least 1/2 a dozen service points to UNI.

In game 1, I don't think we had a single service error, but few of our serves gave them any trouble, and they were able to get passes to their setter right in the middle of the court, where she carved up our defense.

We proved in games 3 and 4 that we can receive serve and serve effectively, but it has too late with what we handed UNI with our early errors. It is frustrating because we didn't make UNI earn it (although they played well), but gave it away with unforced errors.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

No doubt that Kelly played poorly for her in Game 1 but I thought it was pretty much a team effort of poor play.

In game 1, Kelly had 3 service reception errors. After that she did not have any more.

Emily Stockman has a service reception error at game point to end Game 1.

Angela Jakubov had a reception error in Game 2 and another in Game 3.

Of course, on top of the outrigth service errors we had our share of poor passes early on.

While Kelly did hurt us in Game 1 how many points did she save with some outstanding digs in the remaining games.

I think the other thing that really hurt us in Games 1 and 2 was that UNI dominated us on both sides of the net.

Not sure what the blocking stats by game were but the Shocks were virtually giving no resistance at all at the net against the UNI attackers.

UNI hit 0.371 and 0.395 in Games 1 and 2. They hit -.047 and 0.130 in Games 3 and 4.

For some reason the Shocks just were not ready to compete at the level needed to defeat a team of UNI's ability. Where is Darcy Vohs when you need her?

Hopefully, the Shocks will learn a valuable lesson from this that help them in the future.

Comment

In Game 1 UNI had 4 blocks to the Shockers 1.

In Game 2 UNI had 3 blocks to 2 by the Shockers.

Also in Games 1 and 2 I thought the Shocks used poor judgement in playing a number of balls that looked to clearly by on their way out of bounds. Again they did much better in Games 3 and 4 in this aspect.

Considering the domination of UNI at the net combined with the Shockers poor service reception and passing it is surprising the Shockers only lost by a 30-23 score in that Game. As TMH said, way too many unforced errors. And unforced is a very accurate term in this case.

For the match the Shocks outscored UNI 110-105. Doesn't really mean too much, but perhaps is gives us some hope that the Shockers are capable of some back when they visit Cedar Falls later in the year.

Comment

1972: I think this hurts our chance of getting an at-large bid to the tourney.
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

9-7-07

#19 Kansas State 30-15, 30-25, 30-23 over UNI.

Easy sweep.

Real volleyball.

Comment

Looked real flat the first two sets. I think game 3 was the team that showed up in Hawaii. The reason he subbed Abby and Sara out in game 4 was to get some blocking and offense up front (basically running 6-2) when UNI went on a run.

To early in the conference season I think to determine how this effects us in the end as far as an at large bid. Every team will probably have a couple of bad matches. It was just us this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by WSU and Reds Fan
                          "

I've never had a problem picking my tickets up early if the ticket office was open. It sounds wierd to me that they wouldn't let you. Also I believe the only entrances open for volleyball are through the ticket office and the large number of doors just to the west.

Comment

The East entrance is open I used it for the tournament and usually park back there so I can just walk in when running late. This weekend was the first weekend they would not let me get my tickets ahead and they also had the East blocked, suppossedly for the football game.

Comment

dregn and '72 - very nice observations of the Bradley and UNI games.

Bradley. Game 3, line-up change thoughts: C'mon...it's Bradley! The girls are up 2-0 and cruising, when Lambo wants to tweak a few things on the left side. What could happen, right? Unfortunately, Kim's hitting into blocks (errors) and sub'd by Lindsey (she does well), but we lose momentum and the rest is history. The MB's needed to get more sets to balance the attack; too much activity on the pins. However, it was great to see Angela swinging again!

UNI. Defensively, it seemed the girls weren't positioned to double-block. Am I wrong? Our serve-receive and passes in 1/2 was dismal - would a change at Libero do the trick? However, 3/4 was a different team. Why? Transition play, confidence, focus. Good to see the MB's involved more on defense and offense, but where's the floor leadership when the game is on the line? Who is going to carry this team and create a spark with her play? Sorry folks, but Sara and Abby should be leading this team with their play. Service errors and poor decisions at critical game moments don't help. Shocks should have beaten UNI.

Let's see how they respond against UMKC on Tues. I hope they do well!

*316 - It's too early to tell if this loss hurts our chances for an at-large bid. The Valley VB Tourney is a big player in NCAA bids.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X