Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocks vs Bradley (Friday) & UNI (Saturday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks vs Bradley (Friday) & UNI (Saturday)

MVC comference play opens this weekend with Bradley and UNI getting to start the season with the less than enviable task of taking on the Shocks and the MSU Bears on back-to-back nights.

The MSU-UNI and WSU-UNI matches are the hightlight matches in the MVC this week.

The schedule sets up well for the Shocks as they get to warm up for UNI by taking on 1-9 Bradley on Friday night.

UNI gets a very good MSU team in Springfield on Friday. Let's hope for a real tough 5 game match for the Panthers and Bears.

UNI, the pre-season pick to win the Valley, is 5-5, but like the Shockers they have played a pretty strong schedule.

The Panthers played well last weekend losing to Kansas State, but then coming back to sweep Arkansas and Fresno State. Both nice wins.

Saturday should be a good one. We need everyone who attended the K-State match to show up Saturday and don't forget to bring a friend.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Looking forward to having the Lady Shockers back home this weekend.

I will be especially interested to view first hand how much improvement we have made in the middle with Stephanie T. and Katie N. apparently playing much better since the 1st weekend of the season.

If we are going to see some experimentation with Melissa serving and/or another look at the 6-2 then the match Friday against Bradley might be a good opportunity. On the other hand, I believe that it would be best to play whatever attack you plan on using against UNI on Saturday just to make sure we are in a good rythm and frame of mind.

It will also be interesting to see how big a crowd we draw for UNI, the pre-season Valley favorite. I'm hoping we can break 3,000 again this year for this match.

Comment

Any idea about current national attendance figures? Where do we rank right now?

(#13 6030 - Hawai'i hosted Wichita State, Sep 7 - only about 4000 actually attended)
      #14 6024 - Wichita State hosted Kansas State, Aug 25
      #37 2147 - Wichita State hosted North Texas, Aug 24
      #48 1591 - Wichita State hosted Cal Poly, Aug 26
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The Shocks are currently #6.

By Average
        School Avg. Total #
        1. Hawai’i 6,435 51,483 8
        2. Nebraska 5,930 29,652 5
        3. Creighton 3,890 15,560 4
        4. Minnesota 3,656 10,967 3
        5. Wisconsin 3,609 10,827 3
        6. Wichita State 3,254 9,762 3
        7. Penn State 2,552 12,760 5
        8. Northern Iowa 2,424 9,698 4
        9. Texas 2,098 4,197 2
        10. Illinois State 1,934 5,802 3

Notice the MVC has 4 teams in the Top 10.

Creighton is benefitting from the large crowd at the Qwest Center when they played Cal Poly as part of a doubleheader. The second game of the doubleheader was #1 ranked Nebraska vs #3 ranked Penn State.

The funny thing is that it appears CU's match with Cal Poly is counted as a home match for them and NU's match with Penn State is also counted as a home match for them. Neither team uses the Qwest Center for their home matches. At least CU is from Omaha and can claim it's a home match. How NU can claim that as a home match is curious. Maybe because the crowd for both matches was dominated by Husker fans no doubt. In any case, they are each getting credit for the same crowd.

Same thing happened last year when CU had about 12,000 for their match in the Qwest Center with the Huskers and averaged about 800 per match with everyone else. It did allow them to finish in the Top 25 in attendance last year and will no doubt do the same this year.

The Shocks are also probably at the high point in average for the season (due to the KSU match) and will be trending down the rest of the way, although we should remain solidly in the Top 15. The K-State match is 12 best single match attendance so far this year. That too will probably drop down some as the year progresses.

Comment

Perhaps I am taking Bradley to lightly.

Look at Creighton's near miss at Drake last night to open the MVC season in Des Moines.

Creighton escapes with a 30-26, 26-30, 30-20, 20-30, 17-15 win in 5 games. Either Drake is much improved this year or Creighton flat looked past them.

I'm sure Lambo will make sure the girls hear about this and are focused on Bradley Friday night.

Comment

The attendance at the CU-Cal Poly and NU-PSU doubleheader was an NCAA record 13,081 which is a heckuva crowd.

I'm sure most of the credit goes to Husker fans.

Creighton has drawn a total of 2,479 in its other 3 home matches for an average of 826. This average would put them at #21 in the nation.

Again, I think we are capable of Top 5 national attendance, but it may take a run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA to really get more Shocker fans really behind the program. However, we have come a long way in the last 4-5 years thanks to Lambo.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              The attendance at the CU-Cal Poly and NU-PSU doubleheader was an NCAA record 13,081 which is a heckuva crowd.

I'm sure most of the credit goes to Husker fans.

Creighton has drawn a total of 2,479 in its other 3 home matches for an average of 826. This average would put them at #21 in the nation.

Again, I think we are capable of Top 5 national attendance, but it may take a run to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA to really get more Shocker fans really behind the program. However, we have come a long way in the last 4-5 years thanks to Lambo.

It seems that CU's attendance always does this. They play at Qwest either against or in conjunction with Nebraska and get huge attendance, which then steadily drops as the season goes on. WSU, UNI, and ISU (Red) are all consistent in attendance, and all have a chance to be in the top 10 at the end of the day.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Creighton will end up with an average attendance (arguably somewhat artificially inflated) of around 1,800 per match which will probably finish in the Top 15.

Obviously for the crowd of 13,081 for the doubleheader they sold one ticket for both matches and counted paid attendance once.

I wonder how many were actually in attendance at the beginning of the CU-Cal Poly match?

In any case, nice to see the MVC so well represented in the attendance rankings.

Comment

The MVC is towards the top in attendance, but doesn't get much respect in the media. Sounds alot like men's basketball.

Comment

OU beat TAMU in five games. http://volleytalk.proboards88.com/in...ead=1189641739
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                      The MVC is towards the top in attendance, but doesn't get much respect in the media. Sounds alot like men's basketball.
                      Just cause you get a lot of people there it doesn't make you a top team.

I'm excited for this weekend. Hopefully we don't look past our game on friday night, but this team looks tougher then it did last year. It looks more like the team of 2 years ago that really didn't look past anyone and never felt that it was out of a game no matter what the score. No matter how many people show up lets just be loud if we're there.

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                        I'm excited for this weekend. Hopefully we don't look past our game on friday night, but this team looks tougher then it did last year. It looks more like the team of 2 years ago that really didn't look past anyone and never felt that it was out of a game no matter what the score. No matter how many people show up lets just be loud if we're there.
                        Hopefully, this weekend will be a case of Abscence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder and we will get a couple of nice and supportive crowds.

I know I'm happy to have the Lady Shocks back at home.

While still early you have to look at a home win over UNI as very important in getting our conference season off to a good start.

Comment

Coach Lamb commenting on the road trips to Denver and Hawaii in today's Wichita Eagle article:

Those trips are good for team unity," Lamb said. "On several levels you could say it was an all-time high for the program. We have beaten several ranked teams in the past, but two nights of back-to-back performances at the level we played is pretty cool."

Comment

Comment

Shocks handle Bradley although they had a little hiccup in Game 3 as Lambo did some experimentation with his lineup that more or less backfired.

All in all though Shocks win comfortably 30-16, 30-15, 28-30, 30-15.

Shocks getting what they wanted in Springfield as MSU and UNI are in overtime in Game 5. MSU wins the 5th game 18-16.

Shocks will need to be ready to play against UNI tomorrow night.

They looked a little sluggish opening the 1st game before pulling away from a 10-10 tie to win easily. Perhaps the jet lag is just wearing off.

A decent crowd of 1,712 tonight, but Shocker fans need to step up themselves tomorrow night and show up in big numbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X