MVC Honors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Honors

For this week, the MVC announced This week's State Farm Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week is Wichita State’s Sarah McGee, the Defensive Player of the Week is Kelly Broussard of Wichita State and the Freshman of the Week is Missouri State’s Calli Norman.

I decided to create this thread because we'll need somewhere to put the awards Shocker VB players should start receiving. For example:
    (i) Kelly Broussard sets MVC career digs record (after the Bradley match).
    (ii) Shocker named MVC Player of the Year. The only question will be "Who?" Stockman? McGee? Broussard?
    (iii) Mary Elizabeth Hooper named MVC Freshman of the Year.
    (iv) WSU named defensive team of the year (again).
    :D
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Spangler, please don't be dissappointed when Hoop doesn't win freshman of the year.

You're right about MVP....whom to choose? My gut tells me Emily wins by default...but I'd wager a fair amount that Sarah is all over it next year.

They should rename the defensive team award after the Shocks.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Doc: Look at conference only stats at http://www.mvc.org/vb/2008/confonly.htm.

HITTING PERCENTAGE
      1. McGee, Sarah-Wichita State SO 54 135 34 306 .330

BLOCKS
      3. McGee, Sarah-Wichita State SO 54 9 57 66.0 1.22

SERVICE ACES
      1. Stockman, Emily-Wichita State JR 55 21 0.38

KILLS
      3. Stockman, Emily-Wichita State JR 55 202 3.67

It will be interesting to see who is MVC POY. I think Emily has the advantage.
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I also think Emily will be POY. She is rarely, if ever, off the floor and is probably the best all-around six rotation player in the league. She is probably the best back-row attacker in the league.

She is not among the league leaders in kill % but, like Sara Lungren, she gets more than her share of out-of-system sets.

I think Freshman of the Year will be between Mary Elizabeth and perhaps Calli Norman of MSU. If the Shocks manage to go undefeated how do you not give it to MEH.

Kelly better get Libero of the Year or I will not be happy at all.

Emily, Kelly and Sarah Mac should all be 1st teamers. Not sure whether MEH will make 1st team, but will definitely be on the 2nd team. Again if the Shocks go undefeated that has to count for something.

Lambo should get COY again I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
          I think Freshman of the Year will be between Mary Elizabeth and perhaps Calli Norman of MSU. If the Shocks manage to go undefeated how do you not give it to MEH. .
          Exactly !!!

Comment

The 3 of us should have our own morning meeting at The Good Egg or something and just get these topics out of the way.

I agree that MEH SHOULD be FOY but I'm only saying that I don't think it will happen. The Valley is perhaps the most politically correct, even handed league in the country when it comes to passing out awards. Combine that with, what I percieve to be, a slight bias against WSU and, you have to admit, a REALLY talented freshman crop throughout the league and I think you have a formula for finding someone else to win that award.

We ARE going to get the POY and like '72 said, ANYONE except Kelly for LOY is unfathomable. That leaves FOY as the odd man out. I hope I am wrong and I SHOULD be wrong.....

Who really cares at this point. I saw Hoop at the game last night...I promise you she and the rest of the team is far more concerned with the finish of the season than post season awards.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
              Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              I think Freshman of the Year will be between Mary Elizabeth and perhaps Calli Norman of MSU. If the Shocks manage to go undefeated how do you not give it to MEH. .
              Exactly !!!
              That's a Big IF right now. UNI and MSU on the road both will be very tough matches to finish out the regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                The 3 of us should have our own morning meeting at The Good Egg or something and just get these topics out of the way.
                I like the Good Egg. This Saturday? :D

Comment

I agree that MEH SHOULD be FOY but I'm only saying that I don't think it will happen. The Valley is perhaps the most politically correct, even handed league in the country when it comes to passing out awards. Combine that with, what I percieve to be, a slight bias against WSU and, you have to admit, a REALLY talented freshman crop throughout the league and I think you have a formula for finding someone else to win that award.

We ARE going to get the POY and like '72 said, ANYONE except Kelly for LOY is unfathomable. That leaves FOY as the odd man out. I hope I am wrong and I SHOULD be wrong.....

Who really cares at this point. I saw Hoop at the game last night...I promise you she and the rest of the team is far more concerned with the finish of the season than post season awards.

I had the same thoughts Doc. Emily and Kelly are all but guaranteed to win those awards so you can pretty much go ahead and rule Hoop out for FOY. Sad but true.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Imagine if WSU has a great run in the NCAA tourney (e.g. Final Four) and MEH is named NFOY but not MVC FOY. I can see this happening. :(

Comment

I'm glad you shared that Doc. If I had to choose between Post-Season honors and a perfect 29-0 regular season, I would forego the Post-Season honors in a heartbeat.

To get there the Shocks will have to do some of their best work of the season defeating UNI and MSU on the road to finish the regular season.

I am really looking forward to the trip to MSU on the 21st. If we still have a shot at SHOCKER HISTORY when I step on the bus to Springfield I will be totally pumped.

:goshocks:

Comment

So have we considered any other honors for the rest of the team??

I mean, Melissa Granville... Katie Niggemeyer, Lindsey Eckenrode.. maybe Angela Jakubov, Amanda Backes???

I agree with the fact that MEH won't get MVCFOY.. has any team ever swept all awards??

There is no way in this millenium that MEH will get NFOY.. guess it's nice to dream..

Comment

Melissa Granville does her work quietly and without a lot of fanfare. She does her back row defensive thing and is valuable in scramble situations becuase she is a very good setter. She also is one of our better servers. Unfortunately, her work doesn't necessarily stand out in the stat sheet. However, I think she deserves strong considerantion for 2nd team All-Conference honors.

I'm not sure that Lindsey and Katie have storng enough attack and blocking stats to get them post-season honors this year.

Angela (61 of 95 sets) and Amanda (39 of 95) sets probably have sat out too many sets to receive post season honors.

Comment

I said earlier I would be upset if Kelly B. does not receive the 2008 Libero of the Year honor and I would be :shock: if she did not.

I also think Kelly should receive serious consideration for the 2008 Defensive Player of the Year, although I don't know if the Libero position is considered for this award since they have a separate award for Libero of the year.

Comment

It is a sad, but true fact that the people voting for these awards will never, never, never give them all to someone from WSU. It is that way in every sport. Even if there is no way that anyone else is deserving, they will somehow find a way to give one award to someone who probably doesn't deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                              X