Where's the local coverage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the local coverage?

I hate to keep bringing this up but where's the local coverage on this team? It's a joke...undefeated to this point and the headline on page three is WSU struggles to beat Drake?

That's positive? Dear Mr. Sexton....please place a call to the Eagle and ask them when they plan on featuring a nationally ranked undefeated team with a positive headline in a prominent position in the paper. There wasn't even a lead on the front page of the sports section.

I realize I'm beating a dead horse here but I wouldn't quite call Saturday nights result struggling? The first two sets were won easily, the second two sets were close loses and Drake was blown out in the last set.

Two thirds of the Sports front page was devoted to two losses of 58 to 35 and 63 to 21. That's bigger news than going 22 and 0?

Matt Browning...you can do better than that and Eagle management, you are overlooking one of the best stories of the year.

Patience....... ;-)

Comment

You know if this was a 22-0 KU or K-State team, it would be front page.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
        You know if this was a 22-0 KU or K-State team, it would be front page.
        No, it wouldn't. Short of a final four run by a state school, volleyball will get minimal coverage. We have an undefeated team that is in the top ten nationally, both ranking and attendance, and we draw 3000 per game. That is not going to make the front page when there probably 30,000 Wichitans who travel to either Manhattan or Lawrence at least a couple of Saturdays each fall to watch a football game. There may be occasions when the inferiority complex is at least somewhat justified, but this isn't one of them. It is just a fact, not many people around here care about college volleyball, regardless of how good the hometown team is.

Edit: Hosting a regional would surely be enough to get front page coverage. However, I stand by the rest of my post. Also, I don't even bother with the Eagle to get my volleyball info because better info can usually be found right here.

Comment

Umm... capitol shock lay off matt browning, the guy is a good sports writer. He is doing a great job and I bet you couldn't write a good story to save your life!!

What the volleyball has done so far has been nothing more than phenominal. I am very excited for this team and hope that they hope the host because they have earned it.

Comment

Seriously CapitalShock? I think the volleyball team has had more coverage both in the paper and on TV with several features on the 6 and 10pm news than ever before.

And saying that it would be different if KU or KState were in the top 10... that's just silly. KState is ranked in the top 15 and have you seen even one KState volleyball story this year? Have they been featured on any of our fine local stations? No.

As far as the story being "positive" enough for you... Saying that we struggled to beat Drake isn't really that far off. Did you even read the story or just look at the headline?

Comment

Respect is earned and the Shockers are certainly earning the respect. I think the sports coverage is not as gender neutral as we all would wish. Women' sports in general do not get the coverage that men's sports get and Volleyball is no exception. Even WSU has not done near the publicity of an undefeated Volleyball team as I would like to see. But regardless, you look at the other teams that have been consistently in the top 25 rankings for many years and they are lower than the Shockers in the attendance and probably publicity. And you think media coverage for Volleyball sucks how about the WSU bowling team. Several national championships and that's about the only time you hear about them. Just enjoy the ride 'cause this year is a special one!

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                Even WSU has not done near the publicity of an undefeated Volleyball team as I would like to see.
                I agree with the rest of your post, just curious what you would like to see on GoShockers.com. They have stepped things up with a few in-match WheatWire blogs and more volleyball video highlights. I'll give them some credit cause that's a step up from previous years. Also I didn't know if you had seen something on like Nebraska's or Penn State's site and that caused you to make that statement.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker4Life
                  Even WSU has not done near the publicity of an undefeated Volleyball team as I would like to see.
                  I agree with the rest of your post, just curious what you would like to see on GoShockers.com. They have stepped things up with a few in-match WheatWire blogs and more volleyball video highlights. I'll give them some credit cause that's a step up from previous years. Also I didn't know if you had seen something on like Nebraska's or Penn State's site and that caused you to make that statement.
                  I wasn't thinking goshockers.com. They are doing a great job on the website with really great balance for all the sports since the last major overhaul of the site. I was thinking more in the lines of commercials on TV and radio to get people to the matches. I hope that after this year, there is a TV commercial/news blitz about season tickets and important matches. This is done for basketball and should be done with Volleyball. There should be TV advertising now for the MVC Volleyball Tournament. But, this is probably too cost prohibitive and must make for tough decisions in the AD.

Comment

Emily Stockman will be on Sports Daily tomorrow. Not sure what time though.

Comment

I wasn't thinking goshockers.com. They are doing a great job on the website with really great balance for all the sports since the last major overhaul of the site. I was thinking more in the lines of commercials on TV and radio to get people to the matches. I hope that after this year, there is a TV commercial/news blitz about season tickets and important matches. This is done for basketball and should be done with Volleyball. There should be TV advertising now for the MVC Volleyball Tournament. But, this is probably too cost prohibitive and must make for tough decisions in the AD.
                      If you consider that our huge junior class will be a huge senior class and MEH will be a sophomore, we should be even better next year. Yes, we'll miss AJ and KB but we'll probably be better. It would be great to have lots of media buzz next year.
                      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Speaking of Kelly, she's one that I'm interested in how we replace. It appears that they may be grooming Sarah Waldorf for the job, but she's got a little work to do to become more consistent. Kelly is a HUGE reason this defense is as good as it is. The plays she comes up with are nothing short of amazing.

With that said, I do expect this team to be every bit as good next year if not better.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Kelly is irreplaceable, imho.

Mel will do a fine job filling in, Sarah is getting better every day (I love her spirit and fight) and I have every reason to believe Jackie Church is going to be really, really, good.

Angela has also done everything to make this team better every year.

Both of these outstanding young ladies are going to be missed and missed a lot.

But anyone that thinks the program is going backwards is making a mistake of massive proportions.

Chelsey Feekin is scary good. And there is PLENTY of talent waiting in the wings.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                            Kelly is irreplaceable, imho.

Mel will do a fine job filling in, Sarah is getting better every day (I love her spirit and fight) and I have every reason to believe Jackie Church is going to be really, really, good.

Angela has also done everything to make this team better every year.

Both of these outstanding young ladies are going to be missed and missed a lot.

But anyone that thinks the program is going backwards is making a mistake of massive proportions.

Chelsey Feekin is scary good. And there is PLENTY of talent waiting in the wings.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                            I agree. This program won't be taking a step backwards. I think that a couple of wins in the tourney this year would help solidify WSU's place up there with the big ones.

And with Feekin, she hasn't even played a game yet here, but does show all the signs of a player that could step in and really put a hurt on someone. That's what's so nice about Lamb and his system. He is willing to adapt to the players he has, not make the players adapt to him. That's what makes him a coach that is irreplaceable.

Comment

Lambo will be on Sports Daily tomorrow (Wednesday) at a around 9:20

Comment

Working...
                              X