Shockers v DePaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers v DePaul

The ladies make quick work of the Demons, sweeping them in 3 easy games.

I will let '72 give the details as I just can't keep the stats for Volleyball but I do know that Emily Stockman had a very good match as usual.

She dominated the left side all night.

Shockers get back to 2-2 and get ready for Auburn tomorrow morning.

Doc, I unfortunately was unable to listen to tonight's radio broadcast. However, coming in I thought DePaul looked to be the weakest of our 3 opponents in this tournament. Tonight's results would seem to bear that out as the Shocks statistically dominated DePaul.

The Shocks swept the match by scores of 30-19, 30-19, 30-21 and played a lot of players (14) in doing so.

The Shocks hit an outstanding 0.483 as a team lead, as Doc points out, by an outstanding performance by Emily Stockman. Emily had 24 kills and only 3 attack errors in 24 attempts for an outstanding 0.625 hitting %.
    I think Emily also had 4 service aces.

It looks like our middles also were much more involved as Stephanie Tokarz (9-2-14 = 0.500 plus 6 block assists, Angela Jakubov (7-0-12 = 0.583 plus 3 block assists) and Katie Niggemeyer (8-2-12 = 0.500 plus 2 block assists) all had their best matches statistically on the season. Not sure what happened with Sara McGee. Hopefully, Stephanie, Angela and Katie can continue to play well against tougher competititon. Both Auburn and Denver should present tougher tests for the Shocks tomorrow.

Another positive is that we did not have to rely on Sara Lungren as she only took 15 swings on the night (6-1-15 = 0.333).

Probably what the Shockers needed at this point in time. An opponent that allowed them to get their middles involved and get them a chance to gain confidence and improve their timing and teamwork.

As I said I expect both Auburn and Denver to be a significant step up in quality over DePaul. However, the Shockers are definitely capable of running the table in this tournament.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Mike Kennedy indicated Sara McGee has a dislocated finger and may be out several weeks. Too bad it will slow down her development. I an not sure she would see much playing time in games with our middles wakeing up this weekend. Most reserves don't see much court time during games. Tonights match was good to get the starters stats up. I love playing teams that don't block. We really need more matches like last weekend. We'll get tough games next weekend.
      GO SHOX!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stThings1st
        Mike Kennedy indicated Sara McGee has a dislocated finger and may be out several weeks. Too bad it will slow down her development. I an not sure she would see much playing time in games with our middles wakeing up this weekend. Most reserves don't see much court time during games. Tonights match was good to get the starters stats up. I love playing teams that don't block. We really need more matches like last weekend. We'll get tough games next weekend.
        Well, Auburn is not likely to be an easy one considering they have started the year 4-0, but if our performance today was not just reflective of our opponent, but shows that we made good adjustments this week, hopefully it means we don't need too many tune up matches.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Denver has a lot of starters and experience returning and are at home. I think Denver may be every bit as good, if not better than Auburn.

Auburn is 4-0 but I don't think that their schedule has been overwhelmingly tough to date.

We will find out soon enough.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
            Denver has a lot of starters and experience returning and are at home. I think Denver may be every bit as good, if not better than Auburn.

Auburn is 4-0 but I don't think that their schedule has been overwhelmingly tough to date.

We will find out soon enough.

I hadn't looked too much into either team, so thanks for the info. Hopefully we can win these next two matches and build some momentum into next weekend.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Denver knocks off Auburn in 4 games, 30-24, 30-20, 31-33 and 30-26.

I had posted the following back on June 15 when the Shockers schedule came out:

Depaul looks to be the weakest among this group. They were 5-25 last year and graduated 3 seniors from a roster of only 9 players.

Auburn was 13-18 overall and 5-15 in the SEC. Their non-con schedule was a mixed bag but I did not see any impressive victories. They graduated their two tallest players, a 6'3" middle and a 6'2' outside.

Denver was 19-12 last year, 12-6 (2nd) in the West Division of the Sun Belt Conference. They graduated only one senior.

I would think that the Shockers would be the solid favorite to win this Tournament at Denver.

Comment

Working...
              X