2009 Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Team

I started this thread, in part, to discuss the two players who will be gone and the outlook for the 2009 and 2010 teams.

2008 Seniors:
    Kelly Broussard (5-7 Libero): All-World in my book. Deserves all the praise she receives.
    Angela Jakubov (6-1 MB): I have come to appreciate just how good Angela is. She is smart, tough and talented. I think we are really going to miss her.

This year's team could get to the third (fourth?) round of the NCAA tourney if we get to host a subregional. If we go to Lincoln again, it will be another 1-1 in the tourney. Attendance increases will not hurt our chances to get a subregional.

2009 Seniors:
    Emily Stockman, Amanda Moore, Stephanie Tokarz, Melissa Granville, Kim Wadsworth, Lindsey Eckenrode and Katie Niggemeyer. (Karalee Langford??)

The 2009 team will be loaded. The questions will be at Libero ("How well can Melissa replace Kelly and how well will Sarah Waldorf and Jackie Church play?"). MEH will have another year of experience. Hopefully Stephanie's health will be good. This could be a better team than the current one.

2010 Seniors:
    Peyton Thompson, Karalee Langford (?), Sarah McGee and Amanda Backes.

My guess is that Mary Elizabeth Hooper, Sarah McGee and Waldorf or Church will be the team leaders. We will need great play from these players and some or all of Dana Loganbill, Tina Frick, Amanda Backes, Jada Witham, Alison Widen, Chelsey Feekin, Stephanie Ziegler, etc. With MEH and 6'1" Chelsey Feekin as setters, Chris Lamb might use the 6-2 in 2010. I think this team, with a few more top recruits, could be really good. Many will have been on the 2008 and 2009 teams and have "fought the wars" in practice to get playing time. Hopefully with the team going to the NCAA tourney in 2008, 2009 and 2010, this team will be ready for tourney success.
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

If Lamb could land an OH that is as good a hitter as MEH is a setter, the Shocks could go to the next level and be competitive with the likes of Nebraska.

Comment

Nice post, I believe AJ is the most underrated player ever in the program. She has been asked to fill many roles for the good of the team. Now if only her older brother would have had as strong a shoulder!

Comment

It's ALWAYS tough to project 2 years out.....1 year is hard enough.

There are going to be changes in the roster that few, if any, of us know about.

Some will leave, others will come. It is the nature of the beast.

Royal makes the great point that a dominate, athletic OH is what we need to make the jump to the next level. I think we are on the cusp of that happening at WSU.

We have made the jump to a top 25 program. We reload every year right now....more people than not thought we would be down at least a little losing Abby and Sara but the team is markedly better.

Chelsey is perhaps the best recruit that has ever committed to WSU (MEH is better than most thought). Stephanie, if she continues to mature, is going to be a dominate athlete, at any level.

I'm not sure you can replace Kelly...she's that good. Melissa is more than solid...but Kelly is special. I have big expectations for Sarah Waldorf and she has been all that and more so far this year. Jackie has a lot of upside as well. You are seeing what a redshirt year has done for Sarah.

And I agree about Angela....hugely underrated. Remember she was 1st team All Valley 2 years ago.

We have now and will continue to develop depth which is essential. 2 years ago Sara got hurt in the UNC tourney and we fell apart. Now if Emily got hurt we could run more Angela, Lindsey, McGee, Niggemeyer & Steph and still have 2 Amandas to back them up.

You'll never know what the future will hold but personally I am HOPING for a regional and a potential sweet 16 run which will hugely energize Shocker Nation, which in turn will propel the program forward next season to what could be a dominate run deep into the NCAAs and make Lambo and WSU a destination for talented student athletes who expect the best.

Dare to dream.....

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Would still like to hear who the commitments are if anyone cares to let us know

Comment

As long as Lambo is around I am confident that Shocker VB will be able to maintian its success.

Nice article about Lambo and the program:

I hope Shocker fans do not begin to take this success for granted.

Buy season tickets, attend the matches, join the Match Club and be positive.

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
              Would still like to hear who the commitments are if anyone cares to let us know
              Here is a very concise discussion of the commitments:

Actually, I do believe Doc probably does have some info, but I believe he has taken a vow of silence until we sell out Koch Arena for a Volleyball match.

:D

Here is a thread on Chelsey Feekin a very highly regarded player out of Nebraska:

The early Volleyball signing period is around mid-November, so hopefully we will have a lot more info on our recruiting class at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                As long as Lambo is around I am confident that Shocker VB will be able to maintian its success.

Buy season tickets, attend the matches, join the match club and be positive.
                Great find '72!

:good: :good:
                SFL is back!

Comment

Originally posted by SFL
                  Originally posted by 1972Shocker

Buy season tickets, attend the matches, join the match club and be positive.
                  Great find '72!

:good: :good:
                  It actually found me. It was posted on goShockers.com

Comment

I liked this from that ncaa.com article.

“The phone rings a lot each December and I think it’s prudent to listen to what people have to say,” said Lamb. “Wichita State is a place that you leave only for your dream job, but I realized that I already have my dream job and the people here have been outstanding.”

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker
                      I liked this from that ncaa.com article.

“The phone rings a lot each December and I think it’s prudent to listen to what people have to say,” said Lamb. “Wichita State is a place that you leave only for your dream job, but I realized that I already have my dream job and the people here have been outstanding.”
                      There really can't be too many jobs that are better than WSU. Maybe the top 10 programs, but besides that, WSU is a good place to be. They pay him well. He doesn't seem to be having a hard time recruiting. Attendance is awesome. And so on and so on....

Comment

Working...
                      X