Chelsey Feekin - Verbals to WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chelsey Feekin - Verbals to WSU

I don't think this is new at all, but I couldn't find anything about it here.

Rated 72 in the country and coming on fast from Papillion, NE & Nebraska Elite.

She is listed as a setter but is also a big time left handed attacker.

From prepvolleyball.com: "Wichita State earned her commitment. Coach Chris Lamb is one happy and lucky fellow."

Led her team to the state title last year. Listed on the 2006 USA volleyball Junior Girls' 15 American All – Tournament Team.

She was also first team All Class Nebraska last season.

This from a poster on Huskerlandpreps.com:"She is being recruited by numerous Division I programs, including Iowa State and Ohio University.

Statistically Speaking: Feekin's size and her improving foot speed and setting skills make her a high Division I level prospect. She put up 1,199 assists for the state champion Monarchs, but was also a threat herself at the net. Feekin's left-handed swing produced 148 kills with a .436 hitting efficiency, and she also knocked down 122 ace blocks. Feekin served 32 aces and recorded 355 digs.

Coach Speak: "She's finally catching up to her height, so physically, she's becoming an outstanding setter. Mentally, she's very, very bright, so she's been able to see things on the court, process it and then execute it. It's nice having her size at the net with her blocking and ability to attack with her left hand." -- J.J. Toczek, Papillion-LaVista."

Onward & upward.

Her team, Papillion - LaVista, is both Class A (largest class) and All Class preseason #1 in Nebraska.

That would be nice in Kansas but it's a whole different story in NE.

Looks like a repeat is in the offing.

Her team beat #10 Papillion-LaVista South 25-9, 25-5 yesterday in 1 of their 3 wins on the day.

Comment

I'll stop now, but first LaVista is also #18 in the country.

Comment

That is Feekin Awesome!

Comment

Looks like we could hear some word phrases next year using her name.

Mike Kennedy, during play by play: "Wow, are you Feekin kidding me!"

Comment

Great find, Doc!

I saw a post the other day on VolleyTalk that WSU had a commitment from a player ranked in the 70s but didn't llist a name.

Comment

Chelsey's team, Papillion-La Vista, had 2 big wins over other nationally ranked teams in Nebraska and moved up to #9 nationally.

Way to go Chelsey!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

PLV finished their latest tournament with a 6-0 record and beat 3 really outstanding teams. 2 of them, top 100 in the nation.

They will probably move up in the national rankings the next time they are announced...perhaps into the top 5.

Chelsey is playing setter which seems interesting given that Stephanie Zeigler from Arizona is doing much of the same at Canyon del Oro. I suspect this is just making them more well rounded for their college experience since we are set for the next 4 seasons at that position.

Comment

I thought I had posted this already but I can't find it so here is an update on Chelsey's team.

Papillion La-Vista is now 21-0 and remains #1 in Nebraska. They have moved to #7 in the country in the latest prepvolleyball.com rankings.

They have 3 impressive wins over top 75 (in the nation) schools, Grand Island and Omaha Marion.

Chelsey is probably the 2nd best player on the team. OH Gina Mancuso is headed to Nebraska. My sources tell me that Chelsey may have more upside.

Comment

It probably has helped recruiting Nebraska players because of our history with playing them in the NCAA tournament. Maybe we can meet in the NCAA finals this year. :-)

Comment

Any pictures of her? I wonder if Coach Lamb kept up his recruiting in both categories of "quality" on this one as well.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                        Any pictures of her? I wonder if Coach Lamb kept up his recruiting in both categories of "quality" on this one as well.
                        You mean both volleyball ability and classroom performance? :D

Click in the picture to enlarge:

Read breaking news for Omaha, and the Midlands Region of Nebraska from the Omaha World-Herald. The latest local weather, crime, politics, events, and more

Chelsey, an honor roll student, qualifies as a triple threat.

Another Feekin Photo:

Comment

In one article she said that neither Nebraksa nor Creighton offered her a scholarship because they were set at her postion which in high school has been setter. Hard to believe NU and CU are any more set at setter than the Shocks are with MEH.

Any thoughts on how Lambo plans on using Feekin?

I wonder if he is wanting to get back to a 5-2 offensive scheme or if he plans on converting Feekin to a hitting position?

Going to be interesting to see what the Mad Scientist has up his sleeve.

Comment

Sorry 1972, but there is no 5-2 offensive scheme. There's a 4-2 and a 6-2, but no 5-2, only 5-1. You don't really see a 4-2 very much because they aren't very effective, but there's two setters, and they're only setting when they're in the front row, which means you only have 2 attackers on the front row at one time. As opposed to a 6-2 when the setter is only setting while they are in the back row, giving them the full use of all 3 front row attackers. And a 5-1 is of course what we're using now, and while MEH is in the front row she has the use of 2 front row attackers and 3 while she's in the back.

Not saying you yourself didn't know this, but I've been asked a lot about it at the games so it wouldn't hurt to explain it here too.

Comment

Yes, I made a typo. I meant the 6-2 offense that they ran for a couple of years when they had Andee Hartig and Abby Harsh sharing the setting duties.

Comment

Working...
                              X