Another First - Shocks Host USF and UCF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another First - Shocks Host USF and UCF

Last weekend the Shocker volleyball team became the 1st Shocker team to compete in a league contest in the American Athletic Conference when they played and won a hard fought match at Temple. That was followed by another challenging match agaisnt UConn.

This weekend the Shocker volleyball tean has the honor of being the 1st Shocker team to host a league contest in the American Athletice Conference as the take on the USF Bulls on Friday at 7:00 pm at Koch Arena.

The Bulls are 5-7 overall and 0-2 in The American. Wins this season have come against UAPB, Grambling, Presbyterian, Jacksonville and Bethune-Cookman. Losses have come against Northwestern, LSU, Stephen F. Austin, Mississippi State, Austin Peay, Cincinnati and ECU. USF is led by Priscilla Ehieze who is averaging 2.59 kills per set. Alex Mendoza averages 9.74 assists and Maria McLamb averages 4.07 digs per set. As a team, the Bulls are hitting .204, while holding opponents to a .200 clip. USF is led by head coach Courtney Draper.

The Shocks follow that up hosting the UCF Knights on Sunday at Noon.

The Knights are 8-6 overall and 1-1 in The American. Wins this season have come against Northern Colorado, Florida Atlantic, Florida Gulf Coast, Central ARkansas, Southern, Virginia twice and ECU. Losses have come against Duke, Colorado State, Miami, Oral Roberts, Arkansas State and Cincinnati. UCF is led by Kia Bright who is averaging 3.66 kills and 2.92 digs per set. Miranda Watkins averages 5.67 assists while Erin Olson averages 5.11 assists and Jordan Pingel averages 4.00 digs per set. As a team, the Knights are hitting .227, while holding opponents to a .190 clip. UCF is led by head coach Todd Dagenais.

It appears to me that UCF should be the more challenging of the two matches. It would be a big disappointment if the Shocks do not sweep this weekend. As was the case last weekend not much history between the teams. The Shocks beat USF in 2005 in a preseason tournament in Michigan and they have never faced off against UCF.

Based on the assist averages it looks like USF runs a 5-1 offense and UCF runs a 6-2.

However, this weekend does give Shocker fans an opportunity to give American Conference opponents a preview of what they are in for at Koch Arena.

:poster_shocks:

Shocker Match Notes

Shockers 3-0 USF
    15 17 10
    Last edited by flyingMoose; September 29, 2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Shocks were dismissive of the Bulls tonight 15 17 10. Perhaps Emily Hiebert was the 1st attacking setter the Bulls have seen, I don't know, but they refused to shadow her when she was in a front row position and 13 made them pay with 11 kills in the short match.

Terrific crowd. I hope that's just a start because it was really fun.

Sure felt like more than THIRTY ONE HUNDRED at a Friday night game with a high school game next door.

Comment

Emily 11-1-15 for .667
        Abbie 11-0-19 for .579
        Tabitha 11-3-20 for .400

Shockers .412 v .110
        Blocks 5 v 3

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Perhaps Emily Hiebert was the 1st attacking setter the Bulls have seen ...
          I think it was the Temple coach who noted that there is just not a history of attacking setters in the AAC.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingMoose View Post
            I think it was the Temple coach who noted that there is just not a history of attacking setters in the AAC.
            Thought it was the UConn coach. Perhaps both.

Comment

"What an amazing atmosphere," South Florida coach Courtney Draper said. "Great crowd. Really respectful, from the fans to the players to the coaching staff."

Man, does it feel good to support this program.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                "What an amazing atmosphere," South Florida coach Courtney Draper said. "Great crowd. Really respectful, from the fans to the players to the coaching staff."

Man, does it feel good to support this program.
                Here is Sully's full report on the AAC Home Debut including the above quote.

It was a good crowd. I was surprised USF would outdraw Creighton and Iowa State. Still far below the programs best crowds though and still Volleyball just doesn't catch the fancy of the student body to any significant degree.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Thought it was the UConn coach. Perhaps both.
                  You are probably right. I now recall that the UConn coach was quoted more. But as with the first post, I am not going to bother to research it. :)

Comment

I don't expect things will be quite as easy Sunday against UCF as they were Friday against USF. But hoping the Shocks will put forth another solid performance that shows progress is being made.

Comment

Lambo Post-USF Match Comments

Comment

Emily Hiebert Post-USF Match Comments

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          Emily Hiebert Post-USF Match Comments

Classy interview by Emily; especially liked the way she handled the persistent little fan tapping her on the shoulder during her time with MK.

Do the young kids always take the court and interface with the Shocker volleyball team members after a match?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                            Classy interview by Emily; especially liked the way she handled the persistent little fan tapping her on the shoulder during her time with MK.

Do the young kids always take the court and interface with the Shocker volleyball team members after a match?
                            I don't think the young kids take to the court in large numbers after a match. Many will go down the first row to offer the team high fives as the team usually makes a victory lap around the perimeter of the arena floor. Of course, those kids range in age from about 3 to 80.

I did notice that during Mike Kennedy's interview that Emily was in the background holding a young boy, probably about a 4 or 5 years old. Lambo even appeared to have taken a look over his shoulder at them at around the 1:34 of his interview. Since Emily is from Newton she no doubt has many family members and friends in attendance at Shocker home matches. Emily has an older sister Amanda who played volleyball and basketball at Bethel and who I believe is 5 or 6 years older than Emily. So who knows Emily may already be an Auntie Em.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 1, 2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Shockers 3-1 UCF
                              (21) 20 12 15

.305 v .137
                              13 v 7 blocks

Alex 12-3-30 for .300 - very nice
                              Tabitha 11-4-22 for .318
                              Abbie 10-1-25 for .360
                              Emma 8-2-18 for .333
                              Emily 8-1-13 fro .538
                              Mikaela 7-2-32 for .156 - ugh
                              Last edited by flyingMoose; October 1, 2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X