AVCA Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVCA Poll

The preseason poll is up where the Shockers are RV with seven points.

Shocker opponents in the AVCA Poll or are receiving more than 1 vote. All times are Central Time Zone.

#18 Oregon at Eugene on Friday, September 8th at 10:00 pm

#9 Creighton at Koch Arena on Friday, September 15th at 7:00 pm

#29 Iowa State (62 votes) at Koch Arena on Sunday, September 17th at 2:30 pm

#37 SMU (2 votes) at Koch Arena on Friday, October 13th at 7:00 pm
    #37 SMU (2 votes) at Moody Colliseum on Sunday, November 19th at 1:00 pm

I will be very disappoined if Shocker fans don't come out in big numbers for the Creighton and Iowa State matches that will open up the home schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
      Shocker opponents in the AVCA Poll or are receiving more than 1 vote. All times are Central Time Zone.

#18 Oregon at Eugene on Friday, September 8th at 10:00 pm

#9 Creighton at Koch Arena on Friday, September 15th at 7:00 pm

#29 Iowa State (62 votes) at Koch Arena on Sunday, September 17th at 2:30 pm

#37 SMU (2 votes) at Koch Arena on Friday, October 13th at 7:00 pm
      #37 SMU (2 votes) at Moody Colliseum on Sunday, November 19th at 1:00 pm

I will be very disappoined if Shocker fans don't come out in big numbers for the Creighton and Iowa State matches that will open up the home schedule.
      Never been to a vball game before in my life. After reading these forums and of course the whole American business, I think I'll be going to the Creighton game.
      Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
        Never been to a vball game before in my life. After reading these forums and of course the whole American business, I think I'll be going to the Creighton game.
        I love reading this! I love telling the story of the first WSU Volleyball match I attended. Hooked before the 1st serve was hit. I hope you have the same response. I can't wait for the season to start and 101 is only 10 days away.

Comment

Clearly the Shocks will be the underdog to Creighton this year but an upset is not impossible especially if we can get a big crowd behind the Shocks.

Last year Iowa State hosted the Shocks and Creighton in Ames. The Shock were swept by the Cyclones 16-25, 21-25 and 20-25 on a Friday evening in the Shocks opening match of the season. Things weren't looking to good the next day when the Shocks lost the 1st two sets to #18 Creighton 21-25 and 21-25. The Shocks battled back taking both 3rd and 4th sets by identical 25-23 scores to even the match and set up a deciding 5th set. 5th sets are pretty tense since they are 15 point sets (instead of 25) so a bad start can really put a team under pressure. The Shocks took care of business taking the set 15-7 and finish off a great come from behind and earn a badly needed win.

Hopefully, the Shocks will play better this year against Iowa State than they did last year.

Glad CU and ISU aren't our two opening matches this year. We will have 9 matches under our belt when we take on these very good teams this year.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 9, 2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Clearly the Shocks will be the underdog to Creighton this year but an upset is not impossible especially if we can get a big crowd behind the Shocks.

Last year Iowa State hosted the Shocks and Creighton in Ames. The Shock were swept by the Cyclones 16-25, 21-25 and 20-25 on a Friday evening in the Shocks opening match of the season. Things weren't looking to good the next day when the Shocks lost the 1st two sets to #18 Creighton 21-25 and 21-25. The Shocks battled back taking both 3rd and 4th sets by identical 25-23 scores to even the match and set up a deciding 5th set. 5th sets are pretty tense since they are 15 point sets (instead of 25) so a bad start can really put a team under pressure. The Shocks took care of business taking the set 15-7 and finish off a great come from behind and earn a badly needed win.

Hopefully, the Shocks will play better this year against Iowa State than they did last year.

Glad CU and ISU aren't our two opening matches this year. We will have 9 matches under our belt when we take on these very good teams this year.
            Debating investing in vball season tickets. How competitive are home matches, usually?
            Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Debating investing in vball season tickets. How competitive are home matches, usually?
              As always depends on the competition. The top of the Valley (UNI, MSU, ILS and SIU in recent years) were usually very competitive. The bottom half of the Vallley not so much.

As far as this year goes Creighton and Iowa State will be very tough. It sounds to me like the top of the AAC will be very comparable to what the top of the Valley has been but the the bottom half of the AAC should be better than the bottom half of the Valley. Ckncy and SMU will probably be very good. Tulsa has had some terrific teams in recent years but they were only 8-12 in conference play last year although they were 11-1 out of conference. Houston was 0-20 in confeerence play last year.

I really don't have a great feel for AAC volleyball yet but all in all I am expecting a pretty competitive year of volleyball at Koch Arena. Just getting to see all new teams coming in here will be fun.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 11, 2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

UConn Volleyball‏ @UConnVB May 26

HC Kris Grunwald welcomes @GoShockersVB to the @American_Conf and had strong praise for Wichita State's program.

By comparison the Valley ranked 13th among 32 D-1 conferences in RPI last year.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 12, 2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

The American Conference Volleyball Pre-Season Poll comes out Monday per Paul Suellentrop.

Comment

Shockers have been picked as the preseason favorite to win the AAC edging out the Cincinatti Bearcats.

The Shocks received 7 first place votes and 116 total points and Cincy recieved 5 first place votes and 113 total points.

WICHITA, Kan. – The Wichita State volleyball team is picked first in the 2017 American Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches Poll.  The Shockers received seven first-place votes and 116 points in the poll.

Comment

I would note that the Shockers lost at home to Cincy last year in the Shocker Volleyball Classic 1- 3 (25-19, 22-25, 21-25, and 24-25).

The Lady Shocks have home dates with SMU on Friday, Oct 13th (that will be bad luck for one team), Tulsa on Sunday, October 15th and Cincy on Friday, October 20th.

That will be a key stretch of the season.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 14, 2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X