Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Roster Up at GoShockers

Here

Non seniors departures appear to be Natalie Brisso (who did graduate), Regan Peare (I think her injury was too bad to seriously consider returning), Emma Tynan and Allie Davis.

Incoming freshmen are as follows:

Kora Kauling 6-2 Setter from Naperville, IL

Chase Jackson 6-1 OH from Denver, CO

Maddy Freund 5-9 Libero from Cheney, KS

Megan Taflinger 6-0 OH from Quartz Hill, CA

Jenna Mak 5-8 Libero from Sonoma Hills, CA

Brooke Smith 6-3 MB from Goddard Eisenhower

Alayna Maslinski 5-11 Setter from Nashville, TN

I'll try to unearth some info on the new kids but it's tough.

Club Volleyball is much more competitive and drives recruiting about 1000 times more than high school, but sometimes club info is even tougher to uncover.

Chase Jackson was an Honorable Mention Colorado 5A (largest class) at Denver East. Her team lost a surprising regional they hosted that cost them a bid to the state tourney. She played club for the 303Academy that finished a national tourney in Dallas in 11th place a couple months ago. Might not have been the highest classification, I don't know. That stuff is hard to follow.

Comment

25 player roster. A what point will the fire marshall have concerns about the Shocker VB Locker Room capacity.

Maybe we should have a contest. Name the 12 playes on VB scholarships at WSU. Getting all 12 correct would probalby require a bit of luck.

I see we have 2 setters coming in. One is 6-2 and one is 5-11. Lambo seems to like the 6-2 attack if he has the pieces. Whether or not this has anything to do with bringinn in two setters is hard to stay. He essentially has two full teams (including reserves) to work with.

It still amazes how he and Shannon are able to make this large roster approach work and work well.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        It still amazes how he and Shannon are able to make this large roster approach work and work well.
        It amazes me as well, but I think more than anything it goes to show how high the perceived value is in being around quality student athletes under superior leadership. And that's exactly the culture that Chris and Shannon have built. Frankly, I'd give a lot to have a child of mine in that culture, even if she was a D1 athlete deserving of a scholarship.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder if it really works that well with every year 3-5 kids leave. I know that is a decision that is not made lightly and with plenty of stress, of course we don't know how many are asked to leave..if any.
          In the past we traveled red-shirts and injured players, with only 17 traveling now what kind of affect will that have on the large roster?

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
            Sometimes I wonder if it really works that well with every year 3-5 kids leave.
            That seems a bit on the high side to me but I would have to go back and anyalyze that to be sure. I believe we had 7 players off of last years roster who did not return. 3 of those (Dani, Jody and Katy) because they finished their eligibility and I assume graduated. Natalie Brisso left with 1 year of eligibility remaining because she graduated. Regan Peare's injury ended her career.

We did have 2 players transfer. R-Fr to be Allie Davis, a 6-2 OH, transferred to D-II Central Oklahoma. Jr. to be Emma Tynan, a 5-7 DS, transferred to Western Carolina. I imagine both players benefited from the training they received under Lambo's tutelage at Wichta State. Best of luck to Allie and Emma.

I'm thinking that number is more like 2 to 3 per year, if that, although if it is higher that would be very understandable. If you are going to put in the work you want to play.

Whether having such a large roster negatively impacts the quality of the team Lambo puts on the floor is hard to say. The results don't seem to indicate that is the case. If Lambo thought it did I think he would not have such a large roster.

Comment

Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
              In the past we traveled red-shirts and injured players, with only 17 traveling now what kind of affect will that have on the large roster?
              This is a good question but actually the limit is 15 players for AAC road teams. See #16 at the bottom of page 4. Whether are not this will have any impact on roster size going forward is hard to say. It might.

Comment

Regarding players graduating early and moving on I wonder if that will be the case with 6-5 Jr OH Kara Maleski. Kara has played in a total of only 6 matches and only 9 sets during her previous 2 years. If you look at the cover of the 2017-18 Shocker Volleyball Fact Book which traditionally is a photo of the Shocker senior class you will see our 6 seniors (from left to right: Gabi, Hannah, Jenny, Emily, Abbie and Mikaela) plus on the far right I believe that is Kara. While Kara has not seen the court a lot during her career she probably qualifies as one of the more statuesque players we have had at Wichita State. We have a bunch of outstanding students on this team so I would not be surprised if Kara is graduating. Met her parents at the Volleyball 101 dinner her freshman year. Very nice people and from what I know Kara is an outstanding young lady.

There are a couple of points this cover photo brings to mind. We will have a boatload of talent to replace next year.

Also, has Emily ever taken a bad photo in her life?

This raises another question perhaps only a few Shockernetters will get. I think @WuDrWu will get it. Emily or Katelyn?

I'm in the Emily camp.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 24, 2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

That's rarified air @1972Shocker:.

Katelyn is strong though. Will have to consider that one seriously.......

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Regarding players graduating early and moving on I wonder if that will be the case with 6-5 Jr OH Kara Maleski. Kara has played in a total of only 6 matches and only 9 sets during her previous 2 years. If you look at the cover of the 2017-18 Shocker Volleyball Fact Book which traditionally is a photo of the Shocker senior class you will see our 6 seniors (from left to right: Gabi, Hannah, Jenny, Emily, Abbie and Mikaela) plus on the far right I believe that is Kara. While Kara has not seen the court a lot during her career she probably qualifies as one of the more statuesque players we have had at Wichita State. We have a bunch of outstanding students on this team so I would not be surprised if Kara is graduating. Met her parents at the Volleyball 101 dinner her freshman year. Very nice people and from what I know Kara is an outstanding young lady.

There are a couple of points this cover photo brings to mind. We will have a boatload of talent to replace next year.

Also, has Emily ever taken a bad photo in her life?

This raises another question perhaps only a few Shockernetters will get. I think @WuDrWu will get it. Emily or Katelyn?

I'm in the Emily camp.
                    Killing time, so I looked at that picture. I agree that Kara is the one on the far right. So maybe you are on to something there.

Also, is it even possible for Emily to take a bad photo? I'm sure she could make a good career in front of cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      is it even possible for Emily to take a bad photo?
                      Okay, so here is Emily, along with Tabitha, Mikaela and Abbie, trying to put on her mean Game Day face. You may have point there @rrshock.

Comment

Working...
                      X