Shocker Volleyball to the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Volleyball to the AAC

Lambo gets first shot at traveling to and through the AAC and he, Shannon and his staff will bet to be the Guinea Pigs. No doubt Lambo and staff will be more popular with other Shocker coaching staffs than usual this fall.

The AAC has played a full double round robin using travel partners which is what the Valley did. That means 22 AAC matches vs 18 in the Valley. However, the AAC does not have a post-season tournament to determine their NCAA auto-bid which Lambo likes and so do I.

I assume that Tulsa will be our travel partner. In looking at last year's AAC schedule it looks like travel partners play their matches on Wednesdays. The Valley did move two matches per team to the mid-week a couple of year's ago to free up another weekend for teams to add another tournament in order to try to improve RPI's. The Valley played the remainder of their travel partners almost exclusively back-to-back on Friday and Saturday. Looks like the AAC tries to provide a day off in between matches so they go will usually schedule travel partners on Thursday-Saturday or Friday-Sunday.

Apparently, their is a limit on the number days a team can compete during the season so the increase in conference games means Lambo will have to adjust his tournament schedule. Doesn't sound like he wants to cut back on a tournament so he will try to compress his team's matches at tournaments from over 3 days to 2 days if he can although that might add to the physical stress on is team.

Lambo has confirmed my thoughts that the AAC and the Valley are comparable at the top (and the Valley perhaps a little better) but that the bottom half of the AAC will be better than the bottom half of the Valley.

We have about 5 months to dissect the various teams, but I glanced at Temple last night and it would appear we're going to jump right into the deep end on day 1. The lady Owls were plenty good last year and return their #1 and #2 scorers who will both be seniors.

Rising Turkish senior Arem Asci scored an unreal 570 points last season (by comparison, WSU's leading scorer was Abbie Lehman with 383 points) and classmate Izzy Rapacz scored 420 points. Izzy also spent some time with team USA this spring in a tryout period.

Just a guess, but I'd suspect the Owls play a more European style with lots of high pin sets to these 2 athletic outsides.

At 22-8 (15-5 in conference) the Owls were probably a bit twerked at missing the tournament last season. They also had a true road record of 12-0. Impressive to say the least. But they played a poor non con slate, and clearly that cost them.

Comment

I can tell @WuDrWu: is already getting pumped for AAC Volleyball.

Comment

Tulane has re-released their 2017 schedule and WSU will be heading to New Orleans on October 6. It looks like our travel partner will be Memphis and conference games will be played on Friday's and Sunday's.

The official 2023 Women's Volleyball schedule for the Tulane University Green Waves

Comment

so according to their schedule we play them once.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
            so according to their schedule we play them once.
            Looks that way. They also only play Memphis once. Everybody else twice on a home and home basis. 20 match schedule.

Comment

Lambo won't be the only successful Volleyball coach moving on. SIU's Justin Ingram is moving to Illinois-Chicago in the Horizon League. Not sure what is behind that. Doesn't appear to be an upward move on the surface but with SIU's budget woes who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Lambo won't be the only successful Volleyball coach moving on. SIU's Justin Ingram is moving to Illinois-Chicago in the Horizon League. Not sure what is behind that. Doesn't appear to be an upward move on the surface but with SIU's budget woes who knows.
                He's an arrogant little piss ant.......but he can coach.

Comment

So, how do you really feel about him:)

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    So, how do you really feel about him:)
                    Still way ahead of Jim Crump.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing more of Lambo's thoughts on moving to the American Conference at the Volleyball 101 Dinner on August 19th.

Comment

This will be a great time to preview his take on Wichita joining the American Conference. If you have not gone to this event you should just to hear Chris Lamb and meed these fine student athletes.

Comment

Looking at past performances of the mvc and the American it seems as if WSU should feel at home near the top of the American in volleyball. It looks as if the mvc has enjoyed more at large bids than the American and may be tougher at the top but the American seems to go deeper with a couple 3 teams at the bottom. More travel and new opponents but similar success?

Comment

Volleyball and softball are 2 of our worst sports. :banghead: I know you guys are good at both so expect easy sweeps vs UCONN.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
                              Volleyball and softball are 2 of our worst sports. :banghead: I know you guys are good at both so expect easy sweeps vs UCONN.
                              All of WSU men's and women's teams best go into this coming season expecting NOTHING easy. I know I don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X